Aussie newbie basic prop making questions

It's really hard to find cheap Styrene sheeting in Oz. The cheapest place I've seen for Evergreen Styrene sheets is HobbyMania.

I haven't shopped for any in years, so maybe I'm out of date, but part of the reason is I bought so many 3x6 foot sheets of different thicknesses a decade or so ago that I've still not run out. Cheap as chips!

Don't buy it from hobby shops, they just get the same large sheets from industrial suppliers, cut them up, put an outrageous price tag on it then fleece the unwitting.

Just go to Mulford Plastics or someone like that, they're all over the place.

Why everything in Australia is so expensive baffles me when I see what overseas people are paying :(

I think it's just the size of the market, and the distances involved.

Nope. People tend to accept those arguments from retailers and importers but they're largely bogus. The recent enquiry found that basically we pay high prices because we don't know any better and are willing to be ripped off massively.

This is changing of course, with the better exchange rate and the spread of internet access. Which is why Gerry Harvey is so scared lately. Ha.

Also, it's more expensive to ship certain items here in Oz. Stuff like spray paints and certain solvents and glues have to be transported specially, at higher cost, for safety reasons.

Look at the cost of cars; we pay something like 1.5-2 times what the US market pays for Asian vehicles despite the fact that they don't have to cross the Pacific to get here. It's not just tax, either. Tax is part of the mix, but it's not the main deal.

Alternatively if you need anything major for screen accurate works there is a place near me in a Sydney suburb or Newtown called "Barnes" or Barnes of Newtown. They should be able to help you. Their website can be found here Barnes Products Pty Ltd

Vitriol, huh? Any relation to Hatred? Just asking. :lol

Wow. The prices that Barnes charges for Silicone!?! 22kg of Silicone for $990.00?!?! WTF?!?! That is almost 3x UK prices!!..and our stuff is imported too.

$45 a kilo? That's pretty good...used to be more like $55 - prices have come down I think. Sweet!

I was visiting another member here who lives in Toowoomba, outside Brisbane and he imports his rubber and resin from the US, cheaper than buying it locally.

Wow, this is so handy! I always see the names for these US places and go...ummmm. I get confused :p Now I can hit up some stores and at least pretend to know what I'm talking about.

@JediMaster: do you know where in Perth I could get some clear hips sheets? I want to make either an EVA or Pilot hemet from halo. I'm guessing there's somewhere in welshpool, but was wondering if you have an reccommendations?

Last edited:
Wow, this is so handy! I always see the names for these US places and go...ummmm. I get confused :p Now I can hit up some stores and at least pretend to know what I'm talking about.

@JediMaster: do you know where in Perth I could get some clear hips sheets? I want to make either an EVA or Pilot hemet from halo. I'm guessing there's somewhere in welshpool, but was wondering if you have an reccommendations?

I think Martyn mentioned Mulford in osborne park. Also any plastics company should be able to supply you. I have productive plastics near me. They are in wangarra. Shouldn't be hard to find. If you get stuck LMK.

Simon.

Contacting a local sign company myself tomorrow just opened up 2 blocks away from where I live, fingers crossed they sell materials :)

Yeh, Perth branch of Mulfords is in Balcatta now I think, but there's always other places around. Checking the Yellow Pages under plastics suppliers usually gets you something.

Sleepless, didja get your lobsterback yet?

Rinzler, if they don't, just ask them where they buy! :)

Alot of this info is very helpful as I for one had no idea where to get anything like this from or what an Australian equivalent was.

Yah Barnes is crazy expensive for some of their things. And sadly they don't keep their polyester resin in store for fire code reasons. It's kinda weak actually. Oh well.
And who supplies the Australian movie industry? What movie industry? There isn't one because it's too dang expensive over here.

Not sure where you're located, in Melbs I grabbed polyester resin only a few months ago at Barnes [Richmond] and at a similar price for size as my usual trade fibreglass store. Can't comment on other product pricing though. Also, agreed that the movie industry is quite reduced, though it's hardly dead, for instance I did some minor acting work for I Frankenstein a month ago and almost weekly I get some kind of work in it, mostly local productions which are live and well.

I'm located in Sydney. The Barnes here isn't allowed to keep resin and the catalyst together. It's kinda weak. I mean the two of them actually coming in contact with each other is pretty slim. But it is what it is.

I'm located in Sydney. The Barnes here isn't allowed to keep resin and the catalyst together. It's kinda weak. I mean the two of them actually coming in contact with each other is pretty slim. But it is what it is.

You would think they could store it on different ends of the counter and ends of the store room.

You'd think so. That's how they'd do it at home in Ohio. But this is Australia. Where you have to wear reflective clothing to cross the street.
Plus they said it was giving them a head ache the poor little lambs. Apparently the answer "you shouldn't huff it" didn't go over so well with the sales person. :facepalm. Oh well.

Good to see so many Aussies here.

OK where do I get "Light Tape" "EL Wire" or any similar products in Australia. I found one comapny that simply won't sell me anything unless the order is $X (and that is a BIG X). All other searches suggest to import and I don't want to if I don't have to.

I was visiting another member here who lives in Toowoomba, outside Brisbane and he imports his rubber and resin from the US, cheaper than buying it locally.

Hey there mate, been wondering where you got to. I do get my resin from the US at about $130 for approx 7.5 litres and they tint it for me at no extra cost so no stuffing around with pigments. Also I’m still waiting for you to answer that PM I sent about your helmet.

I walked into local plastics shop here in Ballina Northern NSW and asked if they sold HIPS or PETG.....got a vacant stare followed with....we have polycarbonate plastic, come on if you sell plastic be aware of similar products, I've already posted questions about using polycarbonate for heat vac forming and got some advice (since it's the only local option so far at $30AUS for a sheet 900mm x 600mm (size of my vac table). Only positive I came away with was an old fella in shop at time who vac forms model airplanes and boats who told me styrene is good start but basically good luck finding it cheap :S

Whut the? Try Mulfords. You should be able to get sheets bigger than that at much less, depending on thickness.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back