Attn Viper Builders

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently came into posession of a Sci Fi modleing book that was printed in 1979. It had articles on BSG, Star Trek, Star Wars, 2001 and other science fiction shows/movies.

One of the pictures in the book is a very clear picture of the Viper Filming model. Some people may have seen this image before, but I scanned this in in print quality. This image is huge and to my knowledge is the highest resolution viper image out there.

Anyways, I hope this image helps everyone in thier viper painting.

Here is the link:

http://www.blockheadpictures.com/viper1high.jpg

JDH

Although it appears that way it's actually a Race Car Driver, for the Pilot.

When we got a screen-used model at Icons for making castings from,
it was a Race Car Driver.

Originally posted by spcglider@aol.com@Apr 21 2005, 05:21 PM
Its realy interesting to see that there's an F-16 pilot flying that Viper.

Guess the Galactica actually reached Earth after all.

-Gordon
[snapback]970614[/snapback]​

The article with the picture was pretty interesting. Here is an excerpt about the Viper.

The Viper interceptor ships, built in 1:16 scale, are manufactured from a mold that produces six basic components forming one complete ship. Such ease of assembly permits rapid construction when models are needed. No explosion versions exist. Since all detonations are effected optically, models are never lost.

Three of the Viper models are specially equipped with nitrogen "engines." Liquid Nitrogen is injected into the airflow which passes around hot quartz lights, producing a showy vapor trail to indicate that turbo thrusters are operating. One Viper model is fitted with landing gear.

JDH

Originally posted by isd804@Apr 21 2005, 01:27 PM
Cool - thanks. I remember buying that book when I was 12 years old. Wish I still had it...

Allan
[snapback]970683[/snapback]​

I tell you what. I got it as a gift and the book is pristine. The staples in the spine are still tight and none of the pages or the cover show any wear at all. I was really amazed at some of the pictures in this book.

JDH

There was an updated version that was published several years ago also. I have both versions.

1979 Version

famous1.jpg

1996 Version

1070.jpg

Hey Rolando that one on the top is the exact book. I am glad I got it. It is an interesting piece of history.

Does the newer one have different articles?

JDH

Greg, they're basically the same books with a couple of articles that are different between them. I'll need to check mine out and let you know what the differences are.

I always loved that book as a kid... but I wished the blueprints were more accurate. :lol

The background on the TOS 11-foot Enterprise was gold tho. :D

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Apr 21 2005, 02:51 PM
I always loved that book as a kid... but I wished the blueprints were more accurate. :lol

The background on the TOS 11-foot Enterprise was gold tho. :D

- k
[snapback]970731[/snapback]​

yeah the 11 footer stuff is awesome. For a split second when I first got the book I was freaking out over the blueprints. Til I read that they were the Revell/Monogram AMT/Ertl Blueprints. It was a moment of extreme joy, that was crushed by supreme disappointment.

The B&W images of the Y-Wing and the X-Wings was without a doubt my favorite part. Weird seeing an ILM X-Wing that had the solid stripe down the fuselage.

JDH

I used to have the first version of that book as well.
I spent a lot of time looking at it.

Unfortunatly some jerk emptied out my storage unit and that was one of the things stolen.

IIRC the newer version has a few new articles and some of the other ones are missing or condenced.

I remember seeing it at the hobby shop and was dissapointed. with the changes.

D6

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back