Artifacts of the Universal Monsters

ChickenHaunt

Sr Member
The Universal Monsters have always been a big influence on me, and I started thinking recently about putting together a little display of a few of the smaller pieces from those films. I've got a few planned and in progress, so I'll post them here as they are each completed.

I decided to start with Count Dracula's ring. There have been a few replicas produced over the years, and they all look nice at a glance, but once I saw the auction photos of the original ring, which belonged to Forry Ackerman for many years, it became clear that most of the current replicas are very sterilized, geometric interpretations of what would have been an organic, hand sculpted design, presumably by a jeweler in the '40s. Yes, the 1940s. In the original Dracula film in 1931, Lugosi wore a plainer ring. This more extravagant Dracula crest ring was first seen in the John Carradine sequels (though was probably altered from the Lon Chaney Jr. Dracula/Alucard ring), and finally worn by Lugosi in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

There have also been replicas molded off of the original ring, but they seemed to suffer from lost detail to my eye. You'll see the original in the printouts I'm working with for my rendition.

45865243771_6f3eaa4ac2_z.jpg

Detailed though it is, I thought I would be able to sculpt the ring in Apoxie Sculpt, and if I mixed in aluminum powder, it would be able to be buffed to a metallic shine. I did several tests with several methods, but didn't come up with something that would be workable at the fine level of detail I would need. So I decided to use Super Sculpey Firm, because it is hard enough to hold the sharp detail, and could be sanded after baking if needed. I jumped right in to the crest. I scaled the auction photos to full size, and cut out templates to help keep my proportions correct. I also traced the image onto a piece of clear plastic, so I could hold it over the sculpture to check that it all lined up well. I ended up using the eyes of various sizes of needles as my tools for most of the sculpture. Once that was baked and cleaned up a bit, I dumped some silicone on it. I cold cast it the way that's worked best for me in the past, which is to coat the surface with metal powder, and fill with black resin. Buff with steel wool, a very slight black wash, and the crest is done.

45865245921_c69300f137_z.jpg

I had to think quite a bit about how I would mold the main ring part before proceeding. The thing about cold casting is it's very difficult to repair any imperfections in the seam or otherwise, because you need to preserve that ultra thin surface layer of metal. Once I figured out that I could have a removable dowel in the center, and split the mold where the band joins the main hunk of material, I could start sculpting. I decided that I would not attempt to mount a separate stone of any sort in the center. The tolerances would have to be so precise that it wasn't going to be worth it. Instead, I'd just sculpt it right in, and paint it later. The center of the stone would actually be the perfect place for a pour spout, since the crest would cover it up.

30926326707_3dca2fed10_z.jpg

45865244871_e1287d528f_z.jpg

30926324207_608cbe8bc6_z.jpg

Sculpt, mold, cast the same way. I released the dowel with vaseline, and coated it in aluminum powder. It didn't quite take to the resin like the metal on the silicone sections did, but it's on the inside, so it doesn't matter much. With the stone painted, and a black wash over the recesses, I could carefully superglue the crest on top. And that's not too shabby for a plastic recreation. It's not perfect. I think I'd need some smaller needles to really get a 100% match on the sculpture, but I think it captures the feeling of the original. I gained a lot of respect for old school wax jewelry sculptors, too.

30926325517_1e73dcc1b9_z.jpg

More Monster relics to come!

Thanks guys!

heres a cool replica of Boris Karloffs Mummy Scarab Ring

View attachment 940273
I believe that's the "Bam Box" subscription box mummy ring. The bizarre thing is it appears to be based directly on the Dimensional Designs ring, which is, to my understanding, intentionally different from the actual prop to avoid stepping on Universal's toes (they also do a variation on the Dracula ring). Mummy Scarab Ring
You don't get a perfect look at it in the movie or in photos, but the original pretty different.
Mummy ring screenshot.png

There's also the licensed Factory Entertainment mummy ring, which takes some liberties for manufacturing in the legs, which makes sense, but also interprets the eyes as spirals, which I can't make sense of.
Universal Monsters - The Mummy Ring Limited Edition Prop Replica
Costumebase did a direct knock off of that one.

Forry Ackerman also had a "Mummy ring," but it was actually a surprisingly similar scarab ring, and not an actual replica.

There are a couple moments in the film where you get a halfway decent look at where the band connects to the scarab itself, and no replica has come anywhere near that three pointed shape. It's a mystery to me why this piece hasn't been properly reproduced yet. Maybe no one wants to invoke the curse. Or maybe Universal doesn't want it done too accurately?
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 5.26.49 PM.png

My version certainly won't be perfect, but my goal is going to be to try to get a little closer to the screenshots than the previous iterations.

Next up: How to represent the Frankenstein Monster? Neck electrodes!

Most renditions of these don't really pay much attention to the reference, but there are a few great production stills out there. This one is from Bride of Frankenstein, but they appear to be the same as the original. Notice how one side has a cap on it, and the other is cylindrical. I don't know if these were manufactured or a found part. For me, 3D printing seemed like the easiest way to achieve it, though machining them from aluminum would probably be best.
10030285_1.jpg

I scaled that image up to my best guess at actual size, and modeled them in Fusion360 with pins that slot in for better printing. The pins should be slightly rounded off on the ends, but I felt I could achieve that better at this scale by sanding off a sharp corner than by actually printing it curved.
Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 3.10.46 PM.png

Printed and sanded, with the pins being attached here.
IMG_8505.JPG

2k clear coat and Alclad chrome. Maybe I should have gone for a brushed metal finish, but I quite like how they came out.
IMG_8719.JPG

I've made the STLs available if you'd like to make your own: Frankenstein's Monster Electrodes by ChickenHaunt

Next time: The Wolf Man cane!

Last edited:
Outstanding work, sir! I've wanted a really accurate replica of the Dracula ring for ages and have also been disappointed by what's available. Genius work on the electrodes too. I am really looking forward to the Wolfman cane!

The Wolfman Cane!

thewolfman-01.jpg

There have been a few replicas of this available over the years, and some are definitely better than others. What I've noticed is that there's a natural flow to the fur on the real thing that most replicas can't capture. The best seems to have been produced by Henry Alvarez. He was able to mold the rubber stunt cane handle from Bob Burns' collection (originally sculpted by Ellis Burman), resculpt what was needed, and ultimately made some very high end replicas. These haven't been available for many years, but I was able to track down someone who inherited the molds from Alvarez's estate. He ran me a solid resin copy of the piece, but the mold was deteriorating, and the halves didn't quite line up, so there was a lot of cleanup to be done, and many, many little bubbles appeared as I worked on it.

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8624.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

Somehow, I didn't take a single picture of the lengthy cleanup process, which involved CA glue/baby powder, green spot putty, apoxie sculpt, and many different sandpapers and files. I hit it with primer and gave it a few more passes, then painted it black, and gave it a 2k clear coat. A judicious coat of Alclad chrome, and there we have it! I may have done the clear a little too thick, but it sure is shiny!

IQTA7161.JPG

SIJA4988.JPG

HODY4958.JPG

I had carefully carved out the lower ring to accept a 1" dowel. I've done up a short stand for this one, so it will fit in my display case with the other pieces, but it's only lightly tacked on, should I ever decide to put it on a full cane.

The Mummy ring is next on the list.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back