Armour Strengthening

Spothe

Hi folks, just a really dumb question from me - I have made my armour from foamies and need to strengthen it. Would fibreglass resin with hardener work on its own or would it need to have the matting as well? Only asking because like an idiot I've already painted it! I'e attached a couple of photo's of the armour being modelled by my daughter. As always, many thanks to everyone that has uploaded the pepakura files I used. It's my first time making these so any comments on the armour or painting would be appreciated. The outfit I am making is not accurate to any screen characters, just out of my own head!

Thanks again

Paul

2012-05-17 19.26.56-2.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

Id imagine to keep the weght down the resin woud be thin, and any flexing would probably crack it.

Foamies are by good as they are soft flexible and light, do you want to just keep the shape better? if so you could hot glue some thick wire on the back which should enable you to manipulate the armour to closer fit you etc. and the wire would hep alittle with rigidity.

just a though.

Grea idea that. The reason for strengthening is that I used some kind of aerosol paint that goes very brittle and cracks if it flexes. I can't see the armourlasting very long if it keeps bending. I might try the wire suggestion. I guess this would keep it fairly rigid.

Thanks again,

I stiffen foamie pieces with a couple coats of elmers glue. The glue itself is flexible enough so that it won't crack, but stiff enough that it holds its shape pretty well.

The question in your case would be if it were enough to hold the paint on, or if the paint would crack and fall off in little pieces and take the glue with it.

BTW, foamies are wonderful things. With enough foamies and glue, I think anyone can make absolutely anything at all. :)

To be honest with you, I have never reinforced my armour - haven't had the need to. As Usurper has said, foamies on there own are pretty strong and will not come apart easily. Mine hold there shape well and haven't come out of shape yet.

What aerosol paint did you use for the paint to crack?

1. you can also take some thick foam mate and cut strips and attach to the inside would make the piece fit a little tighter though

To be honest with you, I have never reinforced my armour - haven't had the need to. As Usurper has said, foamies on there own are pretty strong and will not come apart easily. Mine hold there shape well and haven't come out of shape yet.

I've always sealed my foamies with elmers just to waterproof them and prevent the paint from soaking in like a sponge.

Thanks for all you help on this. The paint I used was an automotive aerosol paint which doesn't flex once dry. I'll try the ideas you have all given me so hopefully these will help.

Thanks again

I went the foamies route, but spayed everything with Plasticoat primer then Plasticoat top coats thinking that should be flexible enough. Surprise surprise, first outing in the armour and paint flaked off like its snowing.
I'm gonna try elmers(pva) to stop this happening.
I understand from the web that 3coats before paint creates a kind of plastic like skin so hopefully that should work. Also pva sucks paint in when it's made wet again by spraying so should adhere properly

hi guys might be a silly question but i've searched the net for elmers and there is sooooo many kinds.
what type do you recomend.
then i take it its seal with glue then paint?
sorry im new blood.

I use black duct tape on the back of my foamies for rigidness.

Another option is to purchase a thicker foamie. I've found 2mm and 3mm foamies. I tend to go with the 3mm - thicker and stronger.

I also use plasti-dip before I paint foamies. So far it's working great!

Do not put resin on the foamies. As an experiment I painted some foamies, It didn't melt mine but they wouldn't stop being sticky and now they are ruined.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back