Apprenticeships/Getting into the Prop making industry.

Calum

Hi there,

Sorry if this is the wrong place/location to post this however i feel like People on the RPF would know the awnswer to this best.
Basically i live in the UK and i am set on wanting to get into model making/prop making for a propshop or production company. i
was wondered what sorts of things i would need to accomplish/ include in my portfolio if i wanted to try and get a foothold into the industry and if it is at all possible to actually accomplish.
I have a horrible sinking feeling that its an extremely hard industry to get into career wise, and i have no real hope of getting anywhere due to my lack of skill compared to those who make amazing and professional level props just as a hobby.

Many thanks
Calum.

For questions like this I always recommend trying to get in touch with the companies and ask them what they are looking for.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

I do have a list of companies near me and in London who i will contact about apprenticeship/internship opportunities, however i first asked here in case people had had experiences with trying to get into the industry or any certain ;'someone like you wont get a job like that' replies based off of their own experiences.

I'd say that contacting these companies directly would be your best bet, just be sure that you're honest and sincere about your interest in working with them and (hopefully) for them. If you're really serious about it don't be afraid to offer to intern for them for free and/or school credit and be willing to do anything, even if that's just sweeping the floor and taking out their trash. The key is to get your foot into the door, from there you'll have to be willing to pay your dues, don't expect or demand to do any serious work, just go in ready to soak in everything you see and do, even if it's menial work like grabbing their tools or materials.

For an idea of what its like getting into an established shop, even for someone with near 20 years prior experience under their belt, I got in filling in for the janitor as he went on vacation. Then the question comes into play, can you accept the hierarchy and nonsense that comes with shop management. Not many get into the biz for the sake of the work but for the love of the money. Youll find those that do the work for the love of the work are independent. Many working out of a garage or an industrial space which in reality is a larger garage.

Getting in with a crew is near impossible as hired work. A good crew will only hire good crew they know can handle a job. There are so many variables to consider its not even worth going into. Long story short, youll need a skill set all your own with the work and materials/tools to back it up as well as the ability to problem solve on the fly. An A to Z plan for everything as time is money. On set experience is another skill set all its own when dealing with producers, directors, heads of depts and actors. Ive always told people to work as a pee on extra for some months to help gain that experience and see how on set work is done, who is who and what not.
Again, with shop work youre going to be dealing with asshats and greed in a very click driven world. If you dont click, you dont fit in. Getting work independently is an adventure but when the phone starts to ring, you know its a job youve earned. Get all the experience you can and take all the chances you can if you have a firm financial foothold to fall back on. Odds are you wont be paying any bills with paid work for a year.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back