Applying liquid latex to excisting latex

4505marcel

Hi guys, when applying new liquid latex to excisting latex in suits, is it a case of just brushing it on? Or do we need to rough up the surface somehow, or is there other triks for a good bond?

THanks

On MonsterMakers.com they say:

"Here is a great tip I just learned from mask maker, Jordu Schell. When seaming a mask, if you clean the seam or any defect area with a solution of citric acid, any wet latex you add to the area will stick like glue when dry. Normally, wet latex added to dry latex will have a tendancy to delaminate. By cleaning the area with cirtic acid you open the latex pours and dramtically lower the pH which creates the gluing effect."

Thanks for the tip, yes! I have never had any problem adding wet latex to dry latex before, but next time I have to do so I'll make a test with citric acid and see what happens!

Make sure you post some results! This is a very cool experiment. Could make alot of peoples lives easy.

If ya got the time and it works, make it a Tutorial!!

Well the citric acid arrived, along with the latex thickening gel, th e zip is sewn onto some fabric. So I guess its go time, il report back if it works o_O

Dont really know how much water to mix with the citrc powder so I guess il sort of wing it, dont think it wants to be as thick as a gel. IL just give it a go

Dont really know how much water to mix with the citrc powder so I guess il sort of wing it, dont think it wants to be as thick as a gel. IL just give it a go

No directions, per se? That's nuts. I'd Google it first, Brother. Too strong and it just may eat the latex. Be sure to take plenty of pics!

I dont think the citric acid should be thick at all, "By cleaning the area with citric acid" sounds to me like they mean a kind of watery solution.
Tell us how it goes. :)

Right well I gave the citric acid a go, now ive never used latex so wouldnt know how it compared. I suppose I mixed about 250ml of water with about 2 table spoons of citric powder. Wiped the latex down and dried most of it off, after about 10 mins the surface felt ever so slightly sticky, but nothing too much. Ive just latexed in the zip that I previously sew'd on to a piece of cloth and latex'd, the skin almost wanted to stick without applying any new latex, so im assuming the surface had benefitted from the acid.
Well I have a zipper installed and thats the main thing and its a good hold, better than not using acid I dont know though.

I have applied latex over existing dried latex and it goes on. Imagine if you can it peeling off like a layer of dry skin.... thats kinda what happens. It never bonmds right.

It sounds like the citric acid makes the latex revert back to its tacky-ness when it first drys in a mold.

Usuall after making a casting in a plaster mold you are required to dusty the interior surface with baby powder to remove the TACKY-ness which will result in the casting sticking to itself. Sounds like the citric gave it that tacky feeling again.

Lately I have been going the whole Super glue / Stiching latex pieces together. WHICH SUCKS royally to say the least. This sounds like a major breakthrough in saving time and my fingers from a sewing needle.

If you were to grab the two pieces and try and pull them apart does it feel like they would come loose? Or does it feel like a dead strong bond?

Thanks

GENE

Ive only just finished latexing the inside, il give it a couple of days to cure completely as I layed it on thick on the inside. Il then give it a darn good tug and let you know guys :)

Hmmm, sounds like Gene needs to perform his own episode of "Myth Busters" and test this theory with various solutions, gauges, and what not, all while wearing some sort of goofie hat. I'm thinking a viking helmet...

This is indeed very intresting, am wondering if this would help when painting skins, how about wiping the skin with acid and then painting a base coat of liquid latex mixed with paint ...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back