Appleseed Ex Machina: Briareos Costume discussion thread

tubachris85x

Master Member
Hey all..

I've been wanting to start a relatively simple costume for awhile now, this would be Briareos from Appleseed Ex Machina. I've never really wanted to do an anime related costume before, but this is the only one so far that I've actually really wanted to do.

Of course I'd love to put together the tactical version the character is known for, but I've been leaning to going with the formal version (where he's wearing a tux)

Here are some screen grabs I've gotten the other day:

Briareosreference1.jpg

briareosreference5SHOES.jpg

briareosreference2.jpg

briareosreference3NECK.jpg

briareosreference4.jpg

So as you can see..it's just a pretty standard tux. The one pic that actually shows his feet, suggest that they aren't the usualy clorafram? (can't spell it) shiny shoes, but just dull.

So, I just need help trying to find a pretty good matching dinner jacket?
I already have the height!

If anyone else has a Briareos costume, please share! Thanks!

-TC

Last edited:
Re: Briareos Costumes from Appleseed?

I'm currently working on one using Maya to model the head first. I'll eventually print it out not unlike the Halo armor from the 405th. I'm hoping to bring it to Anime Expo 2009.

I have a lot of Ex Machina references if you need em. *I'm at work right now*

RusselSculpts made a nicely sculpted helmet fyi!
http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=50046&highlight=briareos

I'm currently working on one using Maya to model the head first. I'll eventually print it out not unlike the Halo armor from the 405th. I'm hoping to bring it to Anime Expo 2009.

Oh yes, he made a very fine sculpt and I'm hoping to get on of his castings when I get the cash :lol

I'd love to see your pep model though, I couldn't imagine doing it that way :wacko

I'm now considering a side project for my suit, to sculpt out a neck seal and cast in latex..is there anyone that's done something like that before? If there are any other better methods or materials, please LMK, Thanks!

-TC

Just typing out some thoughts while I re-watch the film. This is my general idea for a decent base briareos upper body..from which, you *could* build other variations off of.

This is mainly the chest/back/arms and neck to replicate the muscular "cybernetic" features. I've noticed that close up, the hard parts representing the muscles have a pattern similar to that of carbon fiber, just much smaller.

My thought on this, is to replicate each of the muscle patterns in latex for flexibility, and attach it to a body suit, most likely an underarmor shirt. When looking closely, the muscle patterns are attached to a black base, which I feel can easily be replicated with underarmor and the addition of the latex pieces. As for the center chest, this can most likely done the same way as well.

If anyone has any other ideas, please chime in. I'm going to get some more screen shots for reference.

-TC

i'm actually doing this myself to design a multiple part helmet that will be held together with magnets. That way it will fit a lot closer to my face, and not look too bobble head-ish.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4561/42086675.jpg

i'm actually doing this myself to design a multiple part helmet that will be held together with magnets. That way it will fit a lot closer to my face, and not look too bobble head-ish.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4561/42086675.jpg

I've been thinking about this for awhile..the actual size of the helmet. Briareos himself actually has a normal sized head (minus the rabbit ears) so keeping it close as possible to the face is probably the best thing, and that's why I'd call it a "mask" moreso then a "helmet."

But I'm interested to see what you come up with. How big are you btw? I myself am 6'6" tall, but I don't know how one of Russ's Briareos's lids would look on me yet.

LOL Not much activity going on in this thread!! No prob

Anyways, I found an outstanding chest/arm and neck reference to use for the sculpt

briareos.jpg

Another thing I was starting to think of for a starter prop, would to be finding a similar style watch he and Duenan wears, best shot I think of is in the begining and when he's looking at it on the hospital bed

Here's a really good shot of it...the one on the left lol

snapshot20080304140013xu4.jpg

Don't have much to offer but am very interested in watching your progress.

There was a decent Briareos at DragonCon a few years ago. I like the tux idea.

I am surprised there is no more discussion about this. We all love this original character and would kill for a great costume. I was also searching for a great helmet

hey i just started here today, ive been looking to build a briareos helmet forever! im going with the night at the bar look, motorcycle jacket and pants, simple too, thats what i like about this character, if you get his head made, you can fluff the rest while you get another body style put together,

If there is a good reference pic set for the legs, feet and lower torso, I would love to do a full, and then just make the other fabric/armor to go on top of that. A little more realistic, maybe?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back