AP or TM Armor

kidryno

Forgive me as I know armor questions are all too common, however I need some input from those who own or have seen either of these armors in person. I've seen plenty of photos of both but have never seen either in person.

I've been looking for some time to upgrade since I sold my FX suit a long time ago. I've narrowed it down to these 2 as I wanted an ABS suit (as I have no interest in painting the entire suit gloss white). I am not using this for trooping, I just want this as a centerpiece display for my office.

So, the overall question is which of these 2 is more desired for a quality display and the overall "wow" factor?

Also, if anyone can steer me in the right direction for the best price on either of these, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Forgive me as I know armor questions are all too common, however I need some input from those who own or have seen either of these armors in person. I've seen plenty of photos of both but have never seen either in person.

I've been looking for some time to upgrade since I sold my FX suit a long time ago. I've narrowed it down to these 2 as I wanted an ABS suit (as I have no interest in painting the entire suit gloss white). I am not using this for trooping, I just want this as a centerpiece display for my office.

So, the overall question is which of these 2 is more desired for a quality display and the overall "wow" factor?

Also, if anyone can steer me in the right direction for the best price on either of these, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

I like the AP armor my self. If that's something you want to consider, I would talk to Mr. No Stripes on here. He is a great source for the AP stuff. He is a wonderful help to any questions you may have. Hope that helps.

The ABS on TM is more flexible than AP
TM as far as i know is more espensive than AP and its not always available
Both if were assembled correctly had its own wow factor really,and its something that you can see with pics :)

Something i copy from The various types of armor and where to find them - First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment
Type: Authenticprops (AP)
Kit: ABS, untrimmed, ANH Derived. Helmet is screen derived but cleaned up with a smooth cap and back. Armor similar to TE2 but with some parts being different. The left inner shin is actually a duplicate of the right outer shin. The arms (Bicep, forearm and shoulders) are the same, there is no unique left and right arm. The AP helmet comes with sink faucet aerators, which are not acceptable for EIB use. The lens material is a thin light weight acetate like material.
Availability: No known problems obtaining this, though there may be a waiting list.
Assembly: Seams are overlapping joints making it a reasonably easy build, though one can use finishing strips instead.
Comments: Some questions have been raised about the moulds being a little "tired" though, with some people reporting moulding faults. Packing doesn't seem to be too great either, which means that parts can get a little scratched during transit. The armour is ABS, quite white, but not particularly glossy.
Type: Troopermaster ™
Contact: Please see info contained in for sale threads when posted.
Kit: ABS, untrimmed, fan sculpt. Reputedly the most accurate fan sculpt. Seams on legs and arms are butt-joins with capping strips.
Availability: As slots become available, for sale threads will be posted. Kits are very limited and offered infrequently.
Comments: This is really beautiful armour and extremely movie-accurate. It comes at the price of being pretty tricky to assemble though, with potentially a long wait for supply. TM now supplies all his armour in acrylic-capped ABS. His ABS suits are incredibly glossy and, if assembled with care, look fabulous. Not for very tall troopers. Armour is more generous than SDS or AP, but not as large as RT-mod.

TM's is supposedly a fan sculpt. AP has ties to real armor somewhere down the long and convoluted line.

AP is a great set and I have owned 1 but I will note that yes TM's stuff is a fan sculpt but it is fantastic. Plus it is extremely flexible and and the ease of assembly verse the AP is a bonus

I prefer TM's it is closer in look to ANH than AP even though there is no lineage.

The AP lineage is so far removed from ANH it's not relevent, the very begining basis of the AP suit is not even from ANH or anything to do with ANH most of it is of ROTJ origin and there's some tour parts from what i understand and it's simply reworked to resemble ANH.

So really lineage is of no consequence with either and for me TM has a better ANH look and the suits assembled the same as ANH armour should be.

TM is a banned member here as well.

His armor looks really good... but he claims it is a personal sculpt... some think that he recast someone elses armor and changed a few things. Some people believe that it IS a fan sculpt and very close to the real deal. I have no Idea personally.

I do know his new stuff is supposedly indestructable... again supposedly you can bend the crap out of it and it won't break.

But like Clutch and Kev said. AP DOES have ties to screen used armor. Supposedly came from the same set GF made his armor from. Don't quote me on that, but that is what I've been told. Yeah mostly reworked ROTJ but ROTJ DID come from ANH armor so... it's really personal preferance!

TM is a banned member here as well.

His armor looks really good... but he claims it is a personal sculpt... some think that he recast someone elses armor and changed a few things. Some people believe that it IS a fan sculpt and very close to the real deal. I have no Idea personally.

I do know his new stuff is supposedly indestructable... again supposedly you can bend the crap out of it and it won't break.

But like Clutch and Kev said. AP DOES have ties to screen used armor. Supposedly came from the same set GF made his armor from. Don't quote me on that, but that is what I've been told. Yeah mostly reworked ROTJ but ROTJ DID come from ANH armor so... it's really personal preferance!
I gotta agree with Def on this one and TM wasn't banned for recasting to make that clear. By far his armor is more ANH accurate than what is being produced right now for reasons that Def mentioned. In the end it comes down to one's opinion and I have seen pics of TM's new armor practically being folded in 2 and it doesn't split.

AP had parts from tour suits too? Which parts? That's new to me. As far as I know it was the TE2 that contains the tour suits part to replace the missing parts.

The TM armor can be bent to an extreme level yes but it will leave mark,it is still a plastic,but in a high standard

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back