Anyone making Pirate costumes NOT from POTC or Hook/Peter Pan?

fiveacrefilms

I'm interested in making a theatrical quality Pirate Captain costume other than those of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, Hook, or Peter Pan. I believe I've settled on Capt. Thomas Bartholomew Red from Roman Polanski's Pirates. Just in the research and planning stages at this point, but I plan to document every step with plenty of photos along the way.

Anyone else on here into pirate costuming/cosplay besides the usual POTC fare?

Last edited:
Sir you may have just found your man....
I am a pirate re-enactor. I do things down to historical accuracy and also have a non historical side for when I want to have fun.

Ex.
SmytheMarching.jpg
IMG_7928.jpg
428893_2985507935134_882557135_n.jpg

Excellent. You have a very nice look. How much of your pirate garb do you make yourself versus buying pre-made? What are some of your sources?

I'm also a filmmaker and am planning a short original pirate film in the near future for which I'll need to wardrobe about half a dozen actors. Living in the southern United States, there are plenty of civil war reenactor groups around, but I know of no pirate reenactors near me. Closest I have heard of are a few pirate events and gatherings in Florida.

Not specifically pirate, but I'm working on or planning several Assassin's Creed cosplays, all from games taking place in the mid-late 1700s and with styles of clothing similar to those worn by pirates. I'm working on Connor Kenway right now (an American revolutionary) and I recently finished Arno Dorian (a French revolutionary), who both wear some stuff that could be considered pirate-y, and over the summer I'm going to do Shay Cormac, who dresses in a much more pirate-y way, with a traditional pirate coat and such.

Here's my completed Arno costume:
arno_victor_dorian__assassin_s_creed_unity__by_timeywimey_007-d8ih4n1.jpg
And here are pictures of the Connor and Shay outfits I'm working on:
assassin__s_creed_iii_by_amirulhafiz-d587dui.jpg
ac__rogue___shay_cormac_hoodless_render_by_youknowwho77-d7wqctp.png
In the more distant future I also hope to cosplay Edward Kenway, who actually *is* a pirate.

Excellent. You have a very nice look. How much of your pirate garb do you make yourself versus buying pre-made? What are some of your sources?

I'm also a filmmaker and am planning a short original pirate film in the near future for which I'll need to wardrobe about half a dozen actors. Living in the southern United States, there are plenty of civil war reenactor groups around, but I know of no pirate reenactors near me. Closest I have heard of are a few pirate events and gatherings in Florida.
It's mostly homemade from patterns from Reconstructing History. Most all I wear is linen and wool. Shoes are from St. Augustine Textiles (they have a website). My hats come from captainjackspiratehats.com.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back