Anyone know where to get a bright string of battery powered LEDs?

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know, I know... Google is my friend - but there are so many options and I know squat about brightness, etc. I am looking for - as bright as I can get - about 100 white leds already wired up together on a string-light setup, that will run off of batteries. Basically (ideally), I want to make a tube of light similar in brightness to a FX lightsaber, but about twice as long. And just white. Doesnt matter how big the battery pack is as long as its not like a car battery.

I know I can do a lot of research and figure how to make something like this myself, but its for halloween and I figured I try my luck and see if maybe someone just knows off the top of their head where to get something like this. Based on what I've found, it shouldnt cost that much. Just like I said, I'm worried I'll buy something and they be super-dull decorative lights or something.

Well the short and simple ( cause there's so many options! ) would be the mini led strobe lights. You should find these at walmart, or hallowen stores. There is up to 3 leds in them, and they are pretty bright.
[WIKI][/WIKI]

I know, I know... Google is my friend - but there are so many options and I know squat about brightness, etc. I am looking for - as bright as I can get - about 100 white leds already wired up together on a string-light setup, that will run off of batteries. Basically (ideally), I want to make a tube of light similar in brightness to a FX lightsaber, but about twice as long. And just white. Doesnt matter how big the battery pack is as long as its not like a car battery.

I know I can do a lot of research and figure how to make something like this myself, but its for halloween and I figured I try my luck and see if maybe someone just knows off the top of their head where to get something like this. Based on what I've found, it shouldnt cost that much. Just like I said, I'm worried I'll buy something and they be super-dull decorative lights or something.

I did this for a friend of mine --they have white ones also and ran off of a 9 volt battery http://www.therpf.com/f12/show-us-your-guitar-collection-98110/index2.html scroll down to post #47.
Here is where i got them--quick shipping also!!!

120CM 60 LED Strip Car Red Lights Flexible Grill Light - eBay (item 190409383727 end time Oct-22-10 18:49:00 PDT)

Last edited:
thanks guys! Eaglewood - those are great! But I know next to nothing about wiring them up... would I be able to attach two strings together? I know about the physical wiring, but not about resistors and whatnot.

Last edited:
If you have a Big Lots in your area they have a 20 string piece that runs off 3 AA (4.5 volts) for $4.00. Walmart has a 30 string (same voltage) for $6.95

I usually buy a box or two of battery powered LED strings every Christmas season. I think I might have a couple in white. l'll check later on tonight. Let me know if you're interested, all I ask is that you cover shipping.

One thing that makes me weary of using battery-powered christmas lights is that all the ones I have seen in person are very dim. Keep in mind I am trying to match the brightness of a FX saber.

i came across a tutorial that suggests wiring an AC powered string of xmas lights to a battery is very simple (as long as they are LED bulbs). Anybody ever try that?

I just bought a Christmas LED string from Target today for $7 to light my Katana display. It's battery powered. It's not as many LEDs as your talking but you could string them together.

72210_158432014191468_100000740110316_336168_2130296_n.jpg

Otherwise look on eBay for FX saber LED ladders. Sometimes that have them for sale. I think I have 3-4 ladders left (all blue).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back