Anyone know of a Grainy filter for a movie player.. Or is there any interest in one?

Trallis

I've been looking for a video player or a plug-in for one that would make a modern film look grainy, or maybe at the little pops on the film, or scratch lines, etc. I've asked this in other forums and it just degenerated into an argument about whether this would be a good idea or not, so let's avoid that. I'm saying I'm interested in it and I'm wondering if anyone else has found one or looked for one.

I got the idea when I watched X-Men: last stand in non- HD for the first time. It was only a slight bit of graininess, but I really enjoyed the movie more. The movie takes place in cold war times, so the less perfect looking image gave me a cool old movie feel. I'd love to be able to have a way to watch other modern movies with some film degradation, so they look like they would have in the movie theaters in the old days. This is just for fun, It's got nothing to do with altering other people's art. Some movies look great with all the clean perfect looking imagery, but some would definitely benefit, especially movies that are heavy on the fancy cg.

I actually heard that the HD release of blade runner had to be altered because with the new quality of the film was so clean that you could see strings holding up a ship that weren't originally visible when the movie was shown in theaters and lower def TVs.

Is anyone else interested in this? Has anyone found a way to do it already?

Re: Anyone know of a Grainy filter for a movie player.. Or is there any interest in o

there are several of these effects for After effects. you would have to rerender the movie tho. not really hard to do, just takes some time to save with after effects/premiere

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back