Any one living in the Seattle area?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Darth Phaeton, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Darth Phaeton

Darth Phaeton Well-Known Member

This could be a great oppetunity to get some cool reff. pics of a vader helmet.
    Although I don't know wich of the helmets Poul Allen got, it could be worth a visit.

Museum

Dan

2. Griefboy

Griefboy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've seen his Vader helmet on display at the Sci-Fi museum. It's a stunt with clear cheeks and chin. They get really nasty if they catch you taking pictures.

[​IMG]

3. southcenter

southcenter Active Member

The museum itself is definitely worth your time. I went about a year ago and can't wait to go back. :)

Patrick

4. SHalamar

SHalamar Well-Known Member

I live in Seattle, But I haven't been to the museum yet. I should.

5. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Ill be visiting there in June/July. I'm going for sure.

6. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I wish I could go...hopefully someday...but ya bummer they don't permit photography...

7. Rocketbobs

Rocketbobs Well-Known Member

The place is great. I have a bunch of stuff on display there.

Might I suggest a Prop Party/get together at the muesum? They give group tours too. They place is not huge but is is crammed full of stuff. They just put on display the original DeathStar. Very cool.

8. Griefboy

Griefboy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now that is a great idea RB.

9. Darth Phaeton

Darth Phaeton Well-Known Member

Since you have some stuff on display there, Maybe they will allow you to take some really good pics of the Vader?? It could be worth a shot.

Dan

10. Rebel Hunter

Rebel Hunter Well-Known Member

Hmmm...is the DeathStar from Gus Lopez' collection?
    I need to go and check out that museum..

11. sithlord23

sithlord23 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah it's a really cool museum. I need to get down there and check out that Death Star, I didn't know they added that. :)

12. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Im in for that if it is during the time I will be in the area.

13. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

Are we sure that helmet is real?

-Brandon

14. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

It seems to match some behind the scenes shot. I remember seeing comparisons but don't remember when.

15. Rocketbobs

The case that Vader is in is not very easy to photograph. Lots of relections. I have taken pictures in there...mostly of my display. You can snag some shots it you dont use a flash and dont flaunt it. There is no picture taking allowed is the official rule though.

I may be able to get a group of us upstairs to see the Spinner. If we can get a plan together, I will talk with the curator about a "inside tour"

16. Rocketbobs

17. Rocketbobs

18. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I've always been convinced it's real. And I've seen nor heard anything to suggest otherwise...what makes you think it is not real?

19. michael

michael New Member

I live in Seattle. I've been there. It's totally cool. Interactive dsiplay screens, props, etc. Lots to see in a modest space, and it's housed in the same bldg. that has the Music Experience Project.

20. gus

gus New Member

Yes. I have it on loan to them through October (and possibly longer). I was in the museum a week ago and impressed that they continue to add major pieces. If you live in the Seattle area, it's well worth the visit.

--Gus

21. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Here's a comparison of the screen ESB helmet and the PA one...

[​IMG]

Apart from the inside corner of the cheek towards the nose it's a pretty good match. The clear neck is there, there's a small indentation on the right side of the cheek, and there's an imperfection on the transition line of the neck and fiberglass faceplate. Not sure why the inside cheek corner would differ but a lot of wear/damage has clearly happened to this helmet.

EDIT: Wait a tick...this comparison shows better congruence between the inside cheek of the screen and PA helmet cheek. Note the similarity in the large gap between the upper edge of the chin vent and the lower lip...on both the screen and PA mask.

[​IMG]

22. SHalamar

SHalamar Well-Known Member

I have GOT to visit. Maybe I'll find some time this summer.

23. Docking Bay 93

Docking Bay 93 New Member

Well, if there were enough people interested, I could see about at least having a special "group" thing happen there, although I'd be suprised if we could actually hold a prop party there, per se. I'm not sure what connections Gus has to the folks at the Museum (I can only assume they might be better than mine), but I do have a connection or two that might be able to help me out somewhat. I know that they DO have conference space that can be rented, but I think it's either pretty steep to rent out, or you have to "know someone" to get in. I do have a friend that has friends, that has friends, etc., and he's REALLY good at getting deals and knowing at least who to bedazzle in order to get this kind of thing done. MAYBE.

I remember, about 3+ years ago, I helped with a "thing" back at the Science Center...I've always wondered if I could somehow arrange a worthwhile Prop Party somewhere on the Center Grounds, where the Sci-Fi Museum is. Perhaps I'll look into it further...what the heck, huh? Gotta try.

It'd be great if we could do this, but I just can't see (as yet) how to get space there without paying. But there could be a way...let me think on it. Gus or Chris, if you have any ideas, perhaps you could PM or Email me? Maybe we could work it out.

-Eddie