Any one here good with identifying fabric?

slimesquare

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So i'm looking for a specific fabric

beltsm.jpg

this is a picture of the belt from TMNT 2 foot clan costume.....I have a very good feeling that the fabric used for the belt, wrist wraps, and ankle wraps are the same thing as the suit fabric. But i've been looking up and down and in every fabric place in Arizona and haven't had a good score yet. So I was wondering if any one would be willing to help that possibly knew names of fabric or something of that nature, because even though they work at a fabric store no one usually knows what type of fabric it is or they say they "never seen anything like that before" So if theres someone on here that knows about this stuff i'd appreciate the help very much

Thanks

Hm. It looks familiar to some of the stuff I used a few years ago in my pirate costuming. Been a while, but my Mom helped me with them. I'll be spending the weekend down at her house with the rest of the family, and I'll have my laptop with me so I'll ask her when I get there and we get a minute of somewhat non-craziness.

thanks LadyMeg... pinning down this fabric has not been easy. I can't imagine what the jack sparrow costumers go through. Granted this stuff is 20 years old so finding something similar may be a challenge.

No problem. :) Tracking down the fabric and the right patterns for my son's Jack Sparrow bandanna and the striped sash was an absolute pain, but we got it SOOO close. You can never get it perfectly exact, unless you are the costumer for the stars themselves, and hey, when you get told by one of the Jack Sparrow body doubles that your son's costume looks amazing and he knows you and your kiddo by name while sitting beside you at a fountain in a bar in New Orleans, you take it as a job well done. :) Ronnie was a doll and I was floored.
But that really looks familiar. I looked in my box of fabric to see if I saw anything like it, but no such luck on my end (I've been moving, so a lot still isn't put away yet), maybe Mom has our scrap box in the storage still.

My wife says its a double-knit and might be upholstery fabric that might not breathe well, she says because of the texture of the pile. Go to an upholstery shop with a pic, maybe that would help?

awesome abelugo I will see if I can find an upholstery place in AZ, I'm pretty sure there is one close to where I am.

Wow LadyMeg thats pretty awesome about the stunt actor, and I really appreciate you looking through your stuff to see if you can find any thing

I looked through some stuff in the storage, and ran into a piece that looks similar and it was some leftover stuff that come from when we re-did the fabric on the couch I have down in the workshop. I also have a big square of white material that was for weaving, such as a rug. And I dove into my Halloween material box and come out with a 'creepy' material that looked close to the black stuff, but was more loose than that.
If it's actually upholstery material, you might want to reconsider the material type and go with something that LOOKS close, but will work better, be easier to sew, and won't be heavy. You'd seriously sweat to death in a costume made of fabric for a couch. >.<

I'm a pro at identifying fabric. However, it's impossible to tell from the wad of material on the photoshopped out background.
Can you describe the properties of the fabric (stretchy? fuzzy?)? Maybe show more pics?
If I had to guess, I'm with abulego's wife. It looks like a textured knit. But without more info...

Darth Mule unfortunately I dont have any better pictures. That's a screen used piece from one of the stunt actors who sold his costume lot. And the guy he sold it through wont answer PMs so I'm kinda stuck with what i've got

And lady megatron after pulling screen grabs on Christmas Eve it looks like the fabric for the costume is different than the belt, arm wrap and leg wrap. The up close on the costume has like a mesh pattern to it which I've figured out how im gonna replicate that, but i'm still on the hunt for something similar to this fabric.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back