Anovos not giving refunds only store credit

Just an update on the status of canceling the proton pack pre-order.

I started the process on August 30 I believe and filled out their form to request a refund. Since then another payment has been drafted via partial.ly and I have not heard anything. I realize the long weekend probably slows things down. I posted to my trouble ticket yesterday evening and have not received a reply yet.

It might be time for folks to start complaining to their credit cards if they're not being refunded and ignored.

It might be time for folks to start complaining to their credit cards if they're not being refunded and ignored.

I tried that for a refund on a convention ticket i didn't use. apparently some have limits in which you can file a complaint? Visa with chase seems to be 8 months IIRC.

Still no reply to the trouble ticket, I tried the online chat and they said "Hello! Sorry for the delay, it can take up to 2 weeks to process a refund."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I did get my correct shadow trooper kit today. I am mostly happy with it except for a few issues here and there. I do wish it had come sooner and after the shipping error and I think they could have handled things much better after their error.

At this point in time I cannot see myself ordering from Anovos again anytime soon. The whole shipping fiasco (charging extra after paying for shipping when I purchased, getting the wrong kit, and then Anovos not shipping the correct kit right away as promised) and the non existent customer service has really turned me off.

Good luck to all those still waiting for products.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Been there and done that!

Beware though in my experience Anovos will battle with the credit card company before admitting defeat and the process does that a few months.

Also after the monies are returned to you Anovos may close your online shop account....well that happened to me but not sure if that's company policy.

Been there and done that!

Beware though in my experience Anovos will battle with the credit card company before admitting defeat and the process does that a few months.

Also after the monies are returned to you Anovos may close your online shop account....well that happened to me but not sure if that's company policy.

Wow, Crappy.

There has to be a disney liasion that hands out these licenses that we can complain too. maybe someone at disney can get them off their asses and get vader out.

Wow, Crappy.

There has to be a disney liasion that hands out these licenses that we can complain too. maybe someone at disney can get them off their asses and get vader out.

It is my understanding that Disney protects the IP more than it protects the customer buying experience, by this I mean they are more concerned that the final product meets their expectations irrespective to how long it will take to produce. Unlike most IPs that want the $ and are willing to green light subpar replicas, Disney seems to have a very guarded approach with their newly acquired IP and view quality over expediency as the priority.

Have Anovos made missteps? Most definitely- a few that they should have known would garner public disfavor. They have admitted as much and that they are working on improving things.

But a lot of voices seem to be hoping that they go under. I hear the popcorn being eaten already. Is that what this hobby has come to? Schadefreude when a company born out of our community begins to stumble and not hitting only home-runs?

There are a few things I've learned from looking into the industry over the years, when I've even toyed with (and ultimately rejected) the idea of making props full-time. Making props for a living is not a get-rich-quick scheme. It's not likely to make you universally loved either. At best, you'll have a 50-50 split of people that hate you and love you. Simply getting enough orders to support a small group of people working full time (or more) is a major challenge at the moment and having to struggle continuously does not make it easier to solve issues that pop up. Thread like this, started from a legitimate and honest concern, that instead turn towards bashing no matter what the defending party says, make it even harder.

Anovos started as a small group of fans (two, I believe). They have so far given us a few things that no one has been able to. (Why did it take almost 50 years for a company to make truly accurate TOS Trek uniforms?) They even succeeded in tackling the damn Monster Maroon... and even the standard version of it is fantastic. I've got a fair bit of knowledge of tailoring garments and the jacket alone is a work of art on their part; there's not a stitch wrong. They've made TK armor kits for less than half of what folks paid for inaccurate fan-made armor tens years ago (not taking into account inflation). Some of the complaints I've seen regarding the armor kits have been very nitpicky. We are truly spoiled today when it comes to TK armor. (Also note, to their credit, that Anovos has done very little to discourage fan-made pieces that directly compete and take away business from licenses they are paying dearly for.)

Does that excuse them from legitimate criticism? Hell no. At the same time, it's rather disheartening to see how little we (as a community) support new startups in this hobby while we at the same time complain that no one is making replicas any longer. During the prequel era, we were in a golden age of prop collecting with Master Replicas, but today, despite having a few VERY good franchises taking in more box office money than ever, and things like cosplay becoming "accepted" in the general space, prop companies are struggling to make us stuff. I can't say exactly why that is, but I'd be surprised if our generally pessimistic attitude isn't part of it. The logistics of making prop replicas for anything close to "affordable" are extremely hard to overcome. Anovos are currently struggling with the hard-shell items- that's pretty clear. They've delivered a few things but are having a hard time consistently delivering everything. Sure, maybe they should concentrate on ONE thing until they have that perfect, but maybe the business of making replicas simply cannot be sustained unless they expand now instead of waiting.

What happened when one of Anovos founders popped in here (even admitting it was outside what their licensing agreements permit them to)? He came in and apologized profusely, then became lambasted because of a comment that he wrote hastily on his phone (not good for long messages) because it was regarded as standoffish, even though it (according to him) wasn't intended as such. There has been research done that proves that "intent" is often impossible to accurately construe through text messages- even if they use emoticons. (Honestly though- what else was he going to say at that point?) And since then, the thread has continued pretty much downhill. Let's be honest- whatever they say, someone is going to find fault in it and keep going. How does that motivate them to openly communicate here on the forums (even if they were allowed to)? If every time you say something, you're going to need to defend against a lot of voices- some of which might just be joining in for the sake of it. Those without complaints, that are happy with their purchases, rarely give praise. (I'm trying to do both.)

I'm not saying "don't complain". We should complain. (Sorry Anovos, I love just about everything I've gotten from ya, but from my perspective you really dropped the ball sizing the Picard jackets- but kudos for taking it back no questions asked. You do need to fix that ticket system too 'cause it's a tad buggy.) There are certainly people that have legitimate grievances against them (as with any company) but I would guess that there are Anovos customers out there that simply can't be reasoned with too.

At present, Anovos have about $900 of my money in pre-orders. I've so far spent about three times that and despite having to wait agonizingly long for a couple items, they have been great. I truly feel for the Vader suit people- it's torturous having to wait so long and Anovos should definitely do something to compensate for the wait.

If the worst happens and I lose those $900, I'll naturally be royally pissed too- and if the stuff I'm waiting for gets delayed too many months I might not be willing to wait them out in the end. (There are certainly limits to what anyone should be expected to put up with.) We're passionate about these things- they are more than bobblehead toys in both cost and what they represent- at least to me. This is a hobby in which we get access to things that many people don't even think are possible to have. I'm still, after having been in this hobby for 10+ years, fulfilling childhood dreams of things I never thought I would be able to own or even see in real life. Can't we find a way to complain AND support these companies at the same time, instead of campaigning for their demise as soon as things get a little rocky?

I had all of the best hopes for ANOVOS. I am torn. Remember the Aliens Pulse Rifle fiasco? A whole batch had the barrels droop because [something happened].
I think they were $1,000. Ouch? Do you scrap them and start over or ship a crappy product?

I admire those people that try to walk the razor wire of providing a semi-legal product which brings true joy to collectors and building a business that makes a profit.

Stories like this remind me why I never sell any of my work. I come here to get away from work.

It did'nt, Accurate Tunics have been around for years, Adam G. and James Cawley are two recent examples.

Years ago I used to sell 3 rd season material dyed by the same company who did them for the series

What gave MR a pass was that no money was taken untill the item was ready to ship.

MR had a Company REP, Amy here that would take care of any problem or answer any question pretty fast

Anovos and efx supposedly have the same thing but you never hear anything from them except when they are ready to plug a new item .

The old saying here that communication goes a long way, ESPECIALLY when you HAVE TAKEN PEOPLES MONEY

(Why did it take almost 50 years for a company to make truly accurate TOS Trek uniforms?)

Last edited:
I had such high hopes for anovos too.. figuring maybe that with fans running, they'd know the problems other fans go through when dealing with high end props.

nope, just seems like more of the same.

I definitely feel for them. Mauls posts especially make me think they are good people just trying to make it work. He seems like a good guy to me for posting here. Tough business, no question about it.

At the same time...I just keep seeing "2+ years"

Thats just brutal. I think we all understand that things happen, but...that's brutal. I don't think I would be so patient myself.

Also, you do have to communicate and do right by people. I think we all understand that stuff happens and sometimes takes longer than you thought (although again...2+ years....dayumn), but when it does the first answer should always be: let people know whats up.

At the end of the day...I REALLY hope they make it. We all need companies like this to succeed so we get more, but I'd be climbing the walls if I'd been waiting that long. I really don't think you can blame the customers for being a little peeved. I'm reasonably sure that I'd be WAY less reasonable than they are being after 2 years.

I had all of the best hopes for ANOVOS. I am torn. Remember the Aliens Pulse Rifle fiasco? A whole batch had the barrels droop because [something happened].
I think they were $1,000. Ouch? Do you scrap them and start over or ship a crappy product?

The Pulse Rifle fiasco wasn't Anovos... that was Hollywood Collectibles! Put the blame where it's due, haha. (And as I recall they were pretty good about taking back faulty kits. Mine was fine, though I'm going to strip it for parts and build an al-metal version soon. On the whole... $1K isn't that bad for the aluminum shrouds alone!)

It did'nt, Accurate Tunics have been around for years, Adam G. and James Cawley are two recent examples.

Years ago I used to sell 3 rd season material dyed by the same company who did them for the series

What gave MR a pass was that no money was taken untill the item was ready to ship.

MR had a Company REP, Amy here that would take care of any problem or answer any question pretty fast

Anovos and efx supposedly have the same thing but you never hear anything from them except when they are ready to plug a new item .

The old saying here that communication goes a long way, ESPECIALLY when you HAVE TAKEN PEOPLES MONEY

Were there really accurate licensed uniforms available before Anovos? Didn't know that.

MR made a LOT of mistakes too. There were major issues with certain releases, like their helmets. Also things like rubber grips falling off and other things. On the whole, they did some great things but they built their rep over quite a few years and (very important) started up in a time when the hobby was much more open to buying props and the founders were possibly much more experienced in starting these things (with Steve having run SD Studios before and so on). It's much harder to start a prop replica company today it seems. (It's even hard to start runs of things in the junkyard.) Anovos communicates quite a bit... and they now have the status page that updates fairly regularly. I know some people have had trouble getting hold of Anovos, but I never have myself... for whatever reason that might be... I've never met any of them in person.

I don't like the current pre-order model either. I think it might be a necessity for being able to start a company that makes props and uniforms. License-holders demand a certain output of $ and merchandise and raising venture capital for making scifi uniforms and replica armor probably isn't easy. (Picture some dudes walking into a bank asking for a business loan to make Star Wars uniforms...) Just think of how many runs in the junkyard that go nowhere, even with high "interest" and multiply that with tens of thousands of dollars when you end up with unsold product. (It's not uncommon for a 50-70% dropoff when doing runs. Imagine ordering a couple hundred uniforms too many that go unpaid for. That could be disastrous for a small business if it happens a few times.) But I do think there should at least be some kind of perk for pre-ordering. I work in the games industry and we have pre-orders too, but you almost always get something in exchange- extra content or a better price. Maybe they should have kept some kind of discount system in place for pre-orders.

I had such high hopes for anovos too.. figuring maybe that with fans running, they'd know the problems other fans go through when dealing with high end props.
nope, just seems like more of the same.

They no doubt have good info on what fans want- pretty evident with the quality of (at least) the fabric items they have made. But it doesn't mean they know overseas manufacturing or running a business effectively. I still have high hopes for them, once they grow out of their teething period. And again- they seem to get zero credit for not shutting down all the fan-made competitors when they would be in their full right to do so. (I know Lucasfilm only did so when fans made a "business" out of it but now you have fans making lots of Star Wars replicas in a way that much more resembles a business than a few years ago.)

The major problem is the PRE-ORDER where you have to pay for something and then wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and never hear what is going on. I love some of their products and am really looking forward to the Star Trek props, not uniforms or badges, that they mentioned a year or two ago, but I will never pre-order anything from them. That seems to be what has caused most of the problems recently. As has already been mentioned by me and others MR didn't take any money from you until the product was ready to be shipped and until the end when Corgi was running them into the ground they were pretty good.

The major problem is the PRE-ORDER where you have to pay for something and then wait and wait and...

The unfortunate truth of the prop replica market today for many entrepreneurs may be that the choice is either accept this kind of pre-order model in some fashion as a necessary evil to even start a company- at least until adequate financing means have been built up to fund everything up-front, or not have a company exist at all.

The unfortunate truth of the prop replica market today for many entrepreneurs may be that the choice is either accept this kind of pre-order model in some fashion as a necessary evil to even start a company- at least until adequate financing means have been built up to fund everything up-front, or not have a company exist at all.

if they treat everyone like this, better off not to exist.

As much as I hate pre-orders, and I really hate them, I know they are needed to some extent. It is how they are used by some companies and how long it takes from pre-order to an actual product shipping to the customer that I have the problem with. I know a lot of us have issues with how long EFX takes to get products to market but as far as I'm aware that don't start taking pre-orders until they are ready to actually start manufacturing the item in question.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back