ANOVOS Darth Vader

Yea I've already ordered CORRECT Replacement for the Mesh and Tusks. So as soon as I get them I will change them out. But I REALLY DO Think that this IS an AWESOME Helmet! I guess I really don't see the "Sculpting Problems" as I've seen so many say it supposedly has?

The mouth vent bends inwards, neck is to wide, eye lids are too thin, the cheeks slope down ward to much from left to right and the dome skirt flair is mirrored. The greater flair should be switched.

Are you using the Anovos armor or sourcing else where?

Last edited:
I love seeing all of those "Im sure glad I got it at a lower price before Anovose raised it" Posts.. Make me fell all warm n fuzzy.
Well yea because companies LIKE Anovos tend to raise prices to the point of people not being able to afford their stuff without having to take out a second mortgage or sell a kidney!

The mouth vent bends inwards, neck is to wide, eye lids are too thin, the cheeks slope down ward to much from left to right and the dome skirt flair is mirrored. The greater flair should be switched.

Are you using the Anovos armor or sourcing else where?
I have armor that I am "Correcting" and Re-Painting to Match the Anovos Colors. Why do you ask?

Well yea because companies LIKE Anovos tend to raise prices to the point of people not being able to afford their stuff without having to take out a second mortgage or sell a kidney!

I have armor that I am "Correcting" and Re-Painting to Match the Anovos Colors. Why do you ask?
Because I was wondering.

This gives you an idea on how warped the Anovos is.

IMG_20191216_231140.jpg

Last edited:
I've been taking notes! So much great information on this thread.

So I'm hearing that the ANOVOS Vader is closest to ESB, if not in the helmet/mask, at least in the chest and belt boxes.
I wonder 1) if the 501st requires Vader to be accurate to one specific film and 2) what modifications would be required to bring the ANOVOS Vader to full ESB compliance.

About the cape fabric, I didn't see mention of Melton, long used for fine British military officers' uniforms. Melton would have been quite familiar to John Mollo, being a military uniform historian. Yes it has a felt-like look and feel though AFAIK it is not actually felted. It is quite heavy wool and hangs superbly.

I'm fascinated by the study of the ANOVOS Vader mask in order to pin down its possible lineage.

I will say that people seem to be using "original" ambiguously:

1) to refer to a mold presumably cast from the original clay sculpt by Brian Muir.

2) to refer to a prop presumably cast from a plaster mold presumably cast from the original clay sculpt by Brian Muir.

There was only one original clay sculpt, as I understand. Brian stated that the plasterers cast it in plaster. Did they only do one plaster cast from the clay original? If the clay original no longer exists, this plaster cast is the only "cast from original" which ever existed, or ever will.

What is the "original mold" referenced here?

Brian Muir said only THREE pulls were ever made from the original UK-based production ANH mold.

Does this refer to the plaster cast Brian references? Or a mold made from that plaster cast? I'm trying to determine how many generations removed from the Muir clay sculpt the mask seen onscreen in ANH was.

And that is the beauty, one could say, of an original "fan sculpt". It gets closer to an original sculpt than the 3rd or 4th generation casts do, though true it's a different sculpt.

About the "capturing the essence" ethos, let me ask you: which best captures the essence of Vincent Van Gogh's mother, the painting done from life by her son Vincent, or a plaster life mask of her? The anatomist would say the life mask; most others, I think, would say the painting.

Film costume designers regularly choose feel/mood/art over accuracy. Have you seen Outlander? The tartan colour-scheme seen wasn't invented until 1949, yet the fabric feels right, somehow, for the 18th century. (It isn't right, but the job of a film is to look beautiful, not be a museum.)

Because I was wondering.

View attachment 1092527
WOW! I just looked at mine and it isn't even NEAR that disfigured! In FACT it Looks GOOD and STRAIGHT in all respects! I'm not sure what Casting group this is from... maybe a bad batch? But mine doesn't have ANY of these Defects or warps at all!

That's a really sad looking helmet! :(

Joe

Because I was wondering.

View attachment 1092527
Hell... even my Rubies Supreme Deluxe PLASTIC Helmet doesn't look like THAT! SHEESH! That IS bad!

WOW! I just looked at mine and it isn't even NEAR that disfigured! In FACT it Looks GOOD and STRAIGHT in all respects! I'm not sure what Casting group this is from... maybe a bad batch? But mine doesn't have ANY of these Defects or warps at all!

That's a really sad looking helmet! :(

Joe

I haven't seen any other version of the Anovos in the wild. All have looked like what's in the photo.

Would you mind posting a picture of yours?

All the hardware here is Anovos. I’m waiting until the cape goes on sale so I can properly attach it with the snaps inside the mantle. This is on a mannequin
CB8D25DE-C004-40F9-AEF1-7460DF9B3956.jpeg

WOW! THAT'S PRETTY COOL!

I TRIED to find the chest and belt boxes... but I know someone that makes "SCREEN ACCURATE" Ones. They can be found on E-Bay under "Propsandtoys" His name is Manny and He's AWESOME! On here he goes by "PORTUMAC"... many of you may have already seen his stuff!

After the Holidays... the Chest and Belt Boxes will be my NEXT Purchase and then my DV Costume will be almost complete! :)

Joe

WOW! THAT'S PRETTY COOL!

I TRIED to find the chest and belt boxes... but I know someone that makes "SCREEN ACCURATE" Ones. They can be found on E-Bay under "Propsandtoys" His name is Manny and He's AWESOME! On here he goes by "PORTUMAC"... many of you may have already seen his stuff!

After the Holidays... the Chest and Belt Boxes will be my NEXT Purchase and then my DV Costume will be almost complete! :)

Joe

I wouldn't call his stuff screen accurate. But it's high end and he is reliable.

The belt boxes are the Hammond 1550c boxes which are slightly larger then the screen boxes.

The chest box is easier to describe visually

Manny's box.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Screen used.

ESB_large.jpg

Ok I guess I STILL don't really see the difference{s}? It looks pretty much EXACTLY the SAME to me?

The bottom of the rods are to short. The 2 sliver switches on the outside between the rockers sit even when the right hand is lower. The top black pieces on the rods are shaped wrong as well as the red and blue squares and the coin slots(top surface of Manny's coin slots are to big) and the slivers witched look flat and longer.

The bottom of the rods are to short. The 2 sliver switches on the outside between the rockers sit even when the right hand is lower. The top black pieces on the rods are shaped wrong as well as the red and blue squares and the coin slots(top surface of Manny's coin slots are to big) and the slivers witched look flat and longer.
Ok. I do see that now that you pointed those out. But his stuff is STILL Very Well done! At least I think so! I have one of his Back "Collar Kits" for the
Darth Vader helmet and It looks pretty damn good to me! :)

Question - what is the consensus here about the "tabard" tunic? Regardless of what fabric Anovos uses (not so great), the cape looks to be the right pattern: about a 210 degree circle. But is the inner robe the right pattern too?

And yes, both of them have to be longer.

But I have a "tabard" here and thought I might use it as a basis from which to have one made longer and with better fabric.

:)

Well... I have never seen the ANOVOS Cloak and Battle Tabard, but from what I hear it is pretty good and of decent weight fabric.
When I bought my used "Rubies Costume" DV Costume, I thought that the Cloak and Tabard were well made but needed to be of a heavier fabric and trimmed decently! So that is Exactly what I did! I put a Leather Collar on the cloak, and trimmed it and also trimmed the battle tabard.
This makes them a little heavier but also makes them LOOK nicer! I will keep these for more "WARM WEATHER WEAR" and make a NEW Set for Cons and Colder weather trooping! :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back