Another Foam Question

berserk wolf

I was at Home Depot yesterday with Dad and I saw some insulation foam. Would this stuff work to fill a mask? I did not buy any of it yet so I wanted to ask here if it works.

Like Great Stuff spay foam? NO!

That is hard and unless you have an idea where your going with it, I wouldn't even recomend trying it.
Some people have used it for armetures with success though.

Was the stuff you found blue or pink and in a large sheet? That wouldnt really work well for foaming a mask or suit but would be pretty awesome for gauntlets. We used it all the time making terrain for miniature wargames.

Was the stuff you found blue or pink and in a large sheet? That wouldnt really work well for foaming a mask or suit but would be pretty awesome for gauntlets. We used it all the time making terrain for miniature wargames.

That's foamies you ar etalking about. The insulation foam I saw at Home Depot is like a spray

No the stuff im talking about is insulating foam but its expanded styrene and comes in a large sheet like 3ft by 6 ft. I guessed you were talking about spray foam right after I posted that response and reread your OP lol.

Marvin ..NO ..dont use it ..its not what we are talking about when we mention foaming a mask. You want a two part soft polyfoam ( try silpak) to foam a mask outside of the mold will be tricky. the foam by nature wants to expand and push out ..with out the mold, you are in danger of distorting it. however ..with a quick hand, pour in a small batch then use a chip brush to quickly paint up the sides of the mask with foam before it starts to rise. thats all the time you have ..maybe 30 seconds top. after that, the polyfoam will start to rise ..if you touch it, it will collapse on itself and become a mess. let it sit, cure ..then repeat. I say let it cure because if you try another immediate pour, you run the risk of painting up on the first batch as its still "kicking" thereby collapsing that. What you are doing is creating a foam skin inside the mask for support. It will not be a snug to your face mask. to do that, you would want the mold and a dummy head/lifecast to insert into the mold ( with polyfoam release coating it) then you would foam around that ..the original mold will prevent distortion of the latex mask.

hope this made sense

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back