Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - SHE'S DONE!!!!!

Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS

Rob, Thanks for the kind words! I've been having a lot of fun with the challenge of taking this to the next level.

Last edited:
Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - Pic Heavy Update

wow, such a HUGE project :O

It must be over 6 feet long, since the studio model was around 11-12 feet in length, IIRC.

I can not wait until she's all finished.

And I thought the 1/1000 scale was a lot of work, LOL.

To take on a kit like this and do such a good job, I believe you should get builder of the year award! Your patience is amazing!!!!

trooper
man your doing some darn fine work there.
Thanks trooper! Thought I saw you're waiting for one of steve's 1/2 SS 1701. I've had the pleasure of using a couple of his parts on this build. If they're any representation of the rest of the kit, all I can say is start getting excited!
IEDBOUNTYHUNTER
Looking good. Keep it coming. waiting for more.
Thanks IED! At your request Here are more pics. I'm still getting used to being able to show off progressive build shots. A lot of the work I've done in the past, I can't even show. Too many non-disclosure agreements have been signed. I'll just say Di$ney.
Gamera68
wow, such a HUGE project :O

It must be over 6 feet long, since the studio model was around 11-12 feet in length, IIRC.

I can not wait until she's all finished.

And I thought the 1/1000 scale was a lot of work, LOL.
Thanks Gamera! She's a big'n, weighing in at just under 6'.
KUROK
To take on a kit like this and do such a good job, I believe you should get builder of the year award! Your patience is amazing!!!!
WoW... Thanks Kurok! Belive me I didn't start out patient with this. After the first month of working on it & discovering all of it's eccentricities, I had to resign myself to a full re-design & the slow & thoughtful road.
trekriffic
Well I have to admire your sticktoitouvness. Remarkably nice job so far.
Thanks trekriffic! It's been a mission.

On to the art show!
I'll try to post at least every 2 days from here out. As the end is approaching, I have a pretty good plan on where it's going. So, more build time, less pulling out of hair & pacing. I hope.....
I'll also try to write more captions & explanations of what I'm up to.
Thanks again all, for the wonderful words of encouragement.
Enjoy!

IMAG0526.jpg

when ever there is a structural load bearing seam, it's a good idea to epoxy some aluminum tabs in place. They increase rigidity substantially & help prevent separation, if there is excessive stress on the joint. The holes in the tabs allow for epoxy to flow behind the tab & help prevent internal slippage.

IMAG0528.jpg

I'm a huge fan of blue tape, so many uses. There was a pretty decent gap between the neck & saucer. I use the tape to prevent seepage of epoxy on the body & as a shoring type mold. If it isn't pushed into the gap you wind up with a nice contoured fill that only requires a little flush sanding

IMAG0531.jpg

Ah, the materials for a layup. When doing layups around sharp angles, I prefer using smaller strips of FG & triangle shapes. Also when cutting the FG, cut the pieces off axis. As you lay FG on the seam, the weave should look like X's not +'s. It will conform to the edge or contour better & make a much stronger structure.

IMAG0532.jpg

Finally I add peel-ply. It is a polyester cloth with releasing agent. This is great stuff, similar to vacuum bagging it helps remove air from under layups & helps hold epoxy in place while setting. Also when removed provides a rough surface if you need to do another layup on top of the first. No extra sanding required.

IMAG0534.jpg

Here she is supported by her own structure! I will still be adding an aluminum support for more strength & rigidity.

trust me, Ive got enough excitement to supply 10 people right now :lol
i wish i had some of your skills, I am so impressed :)

really do need to get something to post videos with. Right now all I have is a phone for pics & vids, it's a bit frustrating to work with.

You have done a tremendous job on this so far I remember the 1st pics of the rough casting it doesn't even look like the same model Super Job!

Last edited:

Thanks Ray, I plan to do a before & after pic series when finished. something to show the massive transformation side by side.
It's still hard for me to believe that paint is only days away!

no one would believe it's the same kit if you didnt have pics to prove it :)
simply amazing work you have done!

ready for paint huh? thats got to be exciting :)

Thanks T,
I even have a hard time believing it's the same kit!

Here are more pics, should have more up tonight
Enjoy!

IMAG0539.jpg

saucer support & saucer rim lights installed

IMAG0540.jpg

did a quick plate etch for leds. fewer wires = less weight

IMAG0556.jpg

Yay, lower saucer lights done!

IMAG0541.jpg

bridge section magnetically attached, made it removable for electronics access

IMAG0554.jpg

Adding in the bridge from the 1992 franklin mint model. It's pretty dang close to the right scale

IMAG0553.jpg

IMAG0552.jpg

IMAG0547.jpg

shuttle bay section almost done, just a little cleaning up & light blocking.
THANK YOU, STEVE NEILL FOR THE BAY DOORS!

were did you get the bridge? i did some searching and didn't find anything. i would love to steal that idea from you :)

are you going to build a landing bay? I'm seriously considering it, i need good reference pics though.

again, very nice work!!

Hey trooper, the bridge is from the 1992 franklin mint 18" die cast. They're pretty hard to find, but can be cheap if in poor condition. They can run from $50-$500. The person I'm building the kit for had one & wanted me to use the bridge in the build.

Shuttle bay is outside the scope of this build. Too much time on repair & reconstruction. Now if it had been Steve's kit, I'd have definitely done the shuttle bay & a whole lot more. Kinda sad I couldn't get this finished in time for Steve's run. Plan was to build this up, & use the cash to get one of his kits. Had big plans, bridge w/fiber optic lit control panels, shuttle bay with working turntable etc. More than a day late, more than a dollar short. C'est la vie.

Aren't you going to turn your bridge 26 degrees, or whatever it is?

That round thing on the bridge dome is the Turbo Lift. It goes in the back.

...or has the thinking changed? I haven't built an E in 25 years.

dont loose all hope yet on getting a kit, steve HAS mentioned a couple time that if he can find someone to make the molds and lay up the kits that he would sell em. i think it would be good to find some one that knows how to make vacumbag molds, they use less resin and there much less work.

any chance you can make a mold of that bridge lol ?

Aren't you going to turn your bridge 26 degrees, or whatever it is?

That round thing on the bridge dome is the Turbo Lift. It goes in the back.

...or has the thinking changed? I haven't built an E in 25 years.

It will be rotated when permanent install is done, just kind slapped it in there for the pic to show the idea.

any chance you can make a mold of that bridge lol ?

Had thought about it, just to have a spare in case of accidents. Ran into problems separating the handrails & decided to stop before I had that accident. With parts that small, I'd want to spincast it, & thats one toy I don't have.... yet.

never heard of spin casting resin? you are talking about resin casting right? why not use a pressure chamber ?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back