Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - SHE'S DONE!!!!!

Orbital Drydock

Hi All,
I'm new here & thought why not post my model. I Love the work I see here on the rpf & wanted to join in on the fun!
This is the kit by "he who shall not be named". I must say I was a bit intimidated by the amount of work it would need, but enough of that.
So here we are 4 months after start, getting ready for windows, lighting, & all the fun detail. I'm not sure even where to start on what has been done so far, The E-hull body has been completely built up & resurfaced, most of the body detail was ground off, rebuilt, or moved. All of the original parts were scrapped. They were all sculpted, or scratch built, then molded & cast. All grills for the nacelles & pylons are photo-etched brass, then painted with S.steel metalizer. The saucer is under going it's final surfacing & is almost ready for detail work & windows.
Enough of the blather. Enjoy the pics!
th_IMAG0394.jpg
th_IMAG0393.jpg
th_IMAG0391.jpg
th_IMAG0386.jpg
th_IMAG0385.jpg
th_IMAG0372.jpg
th_IMAG0367.jpg
th_IMAG0359.jpg
th_IMAG0354.jpg
th_IMAG0347.jpg
th_IMAG0279.jpg
th_IMAG0274.jpg
th_IMAG0087.jpg
th_IMAG0085.jpg
th_IMAG0080.jpg
th_IMAG0059.jpg
th_IMAG0053.jpg
th_IMAG0051.jpg
th_IMAG0046.jpg
th_IMAG0045.jpg

http://s1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/OrbitalDrydock/?action=view

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS

********! those are some rough castings did he use concrete to make that molds?

That's what I'm thinking. Hard gypsum molds with no gelcoat. Possibly bad masters, it looks like the original was paper mache. All of the body lines are a half inch wide & look like over lapped paper.
Hoping to get this finished soon & get one of Steve Neill's FANTASTIC 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS.
I'll be posting new pics soon!

Amazing. I like you're re-made parts better than some of my own. You have the end caps corrugation better than mine. I couldn't find anything as accurate as you have there. I might have to re-due mine for round two.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
For the master I made a 6 piece hard mold for the contour & corrugation, then added the extra ring in styrene, & finished up with a cue ball for the rear dome. Made a silicone mold & cast in resin.
The styrene is HO-scale corrugated siding by JTT scenery products. I looked everywhere for the pattern & finally found it a one of the better model train shops.
If you want to PM me I can talk a little more about it.

LOL, he who shall not be named. say no more. youve got your work cut out for you. looks like your doing fine.

I use a tooling concrete for some molds, but never turned out like that.

great so far. keep us posted on this.

Al

Thanks guys,
It started out as a lighting fx job, then I went on a mission.

I've also gotten good results from tooling gypsums like hydrocal & such. I guess it really just depends on the master & condition of the mold, could be sil or gyp.

Thanks CJ, it's a labor of love!

trooper, I don't really want to discuss it here. PM me, & I'll give you the kit builders name, but still don't want to talk about it.

I said I'd post more pics, but then I decided to head out for the weekend.
Promise I'll do it, & make my way around some threads when I'm home.

trooper, I don't really want to discuss it here. PM me, & I'll give you the kit builders name, but still don't want to talk about it.

QUOTE]
i already got t he scoop...
seeing your work i realy wish i still lived near portland, realy nice work your doing.

Thanks trooper, used to play at the b-side years ago, not sure if it's there still.
If you make it to pdx hit me up, be glad to give you a tour.

Yup good save so far......looking much better!
I think at the end you could be in the running
for the noble peace prize! Looking forward to
the build/restoration.:thumbsup

Hey Drydock,

looks like you have a long road ahead of you, but so far it is looking really good! I can't wait to see the next update.

Jason

Hi All,
So it's been a little longer than planned for posting, but here we go!
The body has been cut in half for the fourth & final time. Got the aluminum support structure & lighting for the E-hull installed. Put together the brussard collector boards & leds. Here are some pics with the light test on the E-hull, my led nightmare, & the boards for the collectors. Today I'm on to full nacelle assembly & will post pics & video late tonight or tomorrow am. Sorry about pic quality my phone cam sux.
Happy Modeling & Enjoy!

Brett

Last edited:
Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - UPDATES!

Okay, okay, so I guess when I said updates tonight on my last post. I really meant next month.
Anyway here's a photo barrage of what I've been up to.
Some have captions, some don't.
Yes I know the windows are over sized & rough looking. I decided to flush sand them with the body contour & use paint masking to define the window shape & size. I cheat when it comes to paint masks. I have a vinyl cutter, so it's much easier to machine cut masking in order to get a uniform window size & shape. Plus who doesn't like windows that follow the body contour!
Thanks for looking & enjoy!
Happy Modeling!

IMAG0446.jpg

IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

IMAG0448.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0461.jpg

IMAG0468.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

IMAG0466.jpg

IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg

IMAG0520.jpg

YAY Twins!

IMAG0510.jpg

Brussard collector section

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

I added monocoque support ribs to stiffen the upper saucer section.
Trying to save weight, as the model will be suspended

IMAG0477.jpg

IMAG0476.jpg

YAY panel lines!

IMAG0475.jpg

Custom cast nav lights using clear acrylic, mixed in red & green tint with red & green leds cast into the part.

IMAG0503.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0482.jpg

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

Shuttle bay section.
I must say a HUGE thank you to Steve Neill, for the shuttle bay doors.
They are from his 1/2 SS 1701 & he was kind enough to provide me with the part.
THANK YOU STEVE!

IMAG0455.jpg

Loose part fit test

Last edited:

Wow, talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear! That's great work :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back