Animatronic Baby Yoda: Build Log (Project 842 designs)

MattWinchell

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So as I have to self-quarantine for two weeks after visiting my brother, I can't work on my BB-8. What better way to spend your quarantine than to work on another project!

I'm basing my animatronic Baby Yoda off of Project 842's STL. The very first thing that I started CADing was the eye. I was inspired by YouTuber Will Cogley, and I recreated his design to scale with the 50mm eye. The front of the eye is flattened out for a 30mm animal eye.

I basically started by taking the size and hollowing it out and designing it to replicate Will's design:
Eye Socket.png

Once I finished with the Eye socket, I (pardon the pun) started modeling the adapter piece that would click into place with the socket:
Eye Adapter.png

After a little bit more fiddling and revising, I 3d printed the part with decent success:
IMG_20200707_121443.jpg

I ran into issues with the central linkage connection area and the top arches snapped off. I went back and thickened them up and planned to increase the infill to help with how brittle it might be.

I then went on to quickly CAD the linkages. These are meant to use M4 screws, as it is scaled up from Will Cogley's build which used M2s. Here is a quick video demonstrating how the eye will move once the servos are linked with the eye adapter linkages:

I also worked on making the eyelids:
Eyelid Assembly.png

With these mechanisms in there Alpha version, I can now look into the basic internal mounting structure in the head for the mechanisms. Without this, I can't continue since I need to know the distances between the eyes and at what distance the servos should be from it.

As of now, I am having major trouble importing the Project 842 head stl in Solidworks and converting it into usable CAD for measurement purposes. Does/can anyone find the internal measurements between the eyes and what dimension I need for a base mounting plate for all of the eventual servos?

Peace.

I'd totally buy one of these baby yodas with the full animatronics this looks like a promising start I hope it's going good:)
This ever go anywhere? I’d love to see progress

Yeah. I am currently putting this project on the burner until I finish my BB-8 and Mando Armor. I will continue my work on it when I start college.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back