Prop Store

ANH Vader!!! Lots of Star Wars screen used props (and others Sci Fi movies)

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by Nairod, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Nairod

Nairod Active Member

Here's a post I made on another board.

May interest some of you, for those who haven't already seen them!!

Quick list: ANH Vader, ESB Stormtrooper stunt helmet, ANH Stormtrooper Hero helmet, Biker Scout helmet, TIE pilot, etc....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Treadwell likes this.
  2. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

Re: Lots of Star Wars screen used props (and others Sci Fi movies)

Oh, i see a C-Scar on Vaders cheek....what a surprise LoL The Holy Grail of SW props is still alive and not refurbished for ESB.....love it. Thanks again for posting mate :)

3. collector74

collector74 Active Member

It is un-real what that guy has.

4. jkno

jkno Master Member

After the long lost AT-AT Driver helmet being found, this is fantastic news about the ANH Vader helmet. It's also cool to see the other awesome SW props and non-SW ones too.

5. RBJ

RBJ Well-Known Member

The screen used ANH Vader deserves it's own thread!!!

6. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow this has got to be the single most important and awesome Star Wars find ever. I'm speechless and nobody is commenting. That's the f$&@ing Vader ANH ORIGINAL mask people. It doesn't get any cooler!!!!!

Ben

7. Mickxc

Mickxc Active Member

Said so eloquently - dam right , this is amazing !

8. minifig

minifig Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just received the Hardback book these guys have made...Oh my, it might be in French (which I can't read so well) but it is GREAT. I highly recommend everyone on this forum gets a copy. There are even a few shots of the Death Star Surface Modules!! :lol

I only wish, like we always do, that there were more photos (from every angle and with calipers measuring every detail!!! ;) )

It's a really interesting, varied and important collection of props, costumes, memorabilia and toys from some of our favourite sci-fi subjects!

M

9. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are there good photos of the vader mask!?!?!?!

10. minifig

minifig Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...Only one, a 3/4 view of the front right of the mask ( typical). It is pretty much full page though!...

M

11. Snowtrooper

Snowtrooper Active Member

This is absolutely freakin awesome! I thought that it would never turn up. There was a long debate, over a decade on the prop den, as to what happened to the original. This one looks like its the one. They've been doing some comparisons with the facemask to screencaps and all the chips and marks seem to match. Its too bad that they aren't allowing any visitors to see it in person.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just as excited that the missing AT AT driver helmet turned up.

12. RBJ

RBJ Well-Known Member

It must be the thread title and lack of pics, but I find it amazing that finding arguably the most recognizable movie prop ever ..one that had been missing for 30+ years.. surfaces, and it's just a fart in the wind over here!

I guess all the Vader nuts have left the building.

THE ORIGINAL SCREEN WORN ANH VADER HELMET HAS BEEN FOUND!

Attached Files:

13. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Ha. Awesome. A longtime mystery solved.

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

That's incredible and I'm amazed that this has not come out until now! I was not aware of a AT-AT driver helmet being found either.

15. Elfenstahl

Elfenstahl Active Member

I wished my French was better. What a great collection. Thanks for sharing, especially for the SF-archives link. I am just browsing through the gallery

16. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So, that maquette of Yavin is from this shot, then.

I would have assumed that would have been a 2D drawing. I wonder if they planned to have it rotate?

-MJ

Attached Files:

17. Snowtrooper

Snowtrooper Active Member

They made 2 AT AT driver helmets for ESB. In the 90's one of them was stolen during a break in and, until now, thought to be probably gone forever. I wish i could find a link to the story.

18. MichaelMyers78

MichaelMyers78 New Member

19. MichaelMyers78

MichaelMyers78 New Member

20. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

Yes, that's one of these two helmets, the rediscovery of the formerly stolen one can be found here: http://www.propstore.com/blog/top-5...-prop-store-ceo-stephens-personal-collection/ So both originals survive and are happily accounted for.

The original ANH Vader facemask finally surfacing in another private collection after nearly 40 years is something I never thought I'd see, amazing!

21. collector74

collector74 Active Member

Wait they found the stolen AT-AT driver helmet? Also it is great about the vader mask. It does need a good restoration though. Noticed it is missing the tusks, etc. I know a lot of people would say leave it alone, but eventually it will need to good looking over to preserve it at least.

EDIT: Maybe this should be stickied? Great find.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  22. gizmo

A restoration would be a big no no. It won't happen. And it's fibreglass so it won't need one to preserve it. Just needs to be well looked after.

Ben

23. jkno

jkno Master Member

Yeah, here is the info about the long lost AT-AT Driver helmet: http://www.propstore.com/blog/top-5...-prop-store-ceo-stephens-personal-collection/

24. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

When you see the video and in the stills it actually looks like a full circle dent on the faceplate - with one side deeper with more paint damage - hence the C shape look.

It looks almost like he has been hit right on the cheek with the end of a blade of a lightsaber???

It is absolutely obvious that the neck is definitely extended for ESB.

vaderside1_zpsiibma9iw.jpg

I am sure there will still be people on to argue it is actually a paint swoosh and the neck isn't extended though.

25. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

I know for sure i have seen a short clip in which you see Alec fighting with Dave and you can see how his lightsaber hits the ANH face mask. I think thats exactly the moment of the birth of the C-Scar.....its 100% a physical damage and not just painted on as some so called experts want to tell us since years.

scottjua likes this.
  26. gizmo

The thing I don't get is that this thing has been in hiding for so long and sooo sort after by many and it finally turns up and people are hardly making any noise. It's like I said ages ago. People are more excited about the new pep file or foam build than something with truely awesome history. We are a dying breed and it makes me sad. What also makes me sad is that most of these props end up in some rich ..........um persons collection and never be seen buy us not so fortunate fans. I have a feeling this is all we will see of it unless it sells sometime.If I ever win lotto I promise I'll buy as many props as I can and open them up to all interested instead of just hoarding them.

Ben

27. scottjua

Agreed on all.

I really don't understand not shareing these things in detail. If it were mine i'd document it more than one photo in a book.

- - - Updated - - -

Fist up: preach it brother.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  28. Sick Rick

Sick Rick New Member

I usually travel to Europe once a year or so, as the wife's European and I have personal business in Sweden, with layovers in France.

Bet yer * I'm going to spend a day here and get better photos for everybody. Missing all this time, and it turns out a Lucasfilm director in France had it??

I can see how this could happen, but not how anybody at LF didn't know..as many people have been looking for this, how is it this was NOT known at Lucasfilm HQ?
    That's my burning question.

Serious amount of iconic props and nobody knew?
    With everyone trying to find them?

Apparently, the real ark of the covenant does exist then. And aliens. Probably the money pit on Oak Island as well. That's about the epic size and scope of this guys stash. Unreal.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    grenater likes this.
  29. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

I respectfully disagree...

The discovery/recovery of the original Death Star model in BFE Missouri trumps this. While each helmet was unique unto themselves, there were in fact many made over the course of the trilogy, while there was only one original ANH Death Star model made.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't lose sight of the fact that Lucasfilm lost (or lost interest in) the original Death Star model (a model that is easily worth over seven figures), and no one knew (and not sure anyone cared or was looking) until it was stumbled upon by a couple of fans in the Ozarks area of Missouri...

Weird **** can and does happen...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Sick Rick, scottjua and Pwrsrce like this.
  30. Pwrsrce

Pwrsrce Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll admit that the original ANH Vader helmet is VERY cool...

But the guy also has one of the 8 ESB era R2's built by Tony Dyson!!! And it looks practically new! That's some CRAZY stuff right there!!!

I'm completely stunned at the magnitude of that collection...

Jason

31. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

32. gus

gus New Member

Many, if not the majority, of the high end Star Wars props end up in a handful of collections. Most of these collectors (specifically all of the collections referenced in this thread) have shown their pieces in public from time to time. We're actually very lucky that most of the big Star Wars prop collectors are open about what they have and loan pieces to exhibits and museums. I'm not convinced that if these pieces were owned by a different set of collectors that they would behave any more altruistic with public access than the folks referenced here.

Gus

PHArchivist likes this.
  33. scottjua

This is the book I want to make and do the photography for.

ataru72ita likes this.
  34. mortifactor

mortifactor Well-Known Member

**** the bed, he has R5D4

How much Star Wars is in the book? Might pick it up, but it is a little pricey to ship to me and I can't read French.

35. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Rock on...!

36. jkno

jkno Master Member

A pic of the ANH Vader mask I took from the Generations Science Fiction book - there are a few other SW prop pics in my collection thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

craigjohn likes this.
  37. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

I agree this is massive news, I've checked out all the links and this collection is just outstanding.
    The reason this thread hasn't been popular is simple.
    Day to day I hardly ever stray from my go to threads and I'm sure this is the same for most of us. It needs its own thread in Star Wars props :)
    Vader lives.

38. Fett22

Fett22 New Member

looks that also have the c scar, first photo tantive iv scene , second french original a new hope mask , third image tm mask, all run throught 3d program to get more detail contrast makes me wonder looks real to me evidence2.jpg evidence01.jpg evidence3.jpg

39. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

Whats a 3D program Fett22 ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  40. DarthBrooks24

DarthBrooks24 New Member

How do you explain to Emperor Palpatine that you lost the Death Star?

Darctic likes this.
  41. Fett22

Fett22 New Member

Hi space bob it's a computer program that can gave you surface detail as height based on an image , so you can know it's a scratch or a bump on surface , http://www.crazybump.com/

42. Fett22

Fett22 New Member

I'm personally think could be some fiberglass strand, or a paint brush stiff hair in a shape or a C, that was bellow the original paint job , but could never be sure I wish I could have better pics of the grunnberg a new hope mask , I will try to replicate de paint brush stiff hair in a helmet that I have to see if that's looks kind like the same ,

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  43. Darthgarth

Darthgarth Well-Known Member

that whole collection is amazing. the sheer amount of stuff blew me away and I bet thats not the half of it. i cant believe he has all this stuff for so long and it's only just comeing to light.

is there a french speaker that can dub this or something, I'd love to hear the interview but my schoolboy french just isnt up to it.

44. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

I wonder Fett22 could you run a pic of the efx Vader with the painted c scar through the same program for comparison?

45. Fett22

Fett22 New Member

better jet i made a video of the program and how shows the volume in real time these comparison made me convinced , that the real helmet has a physical scar opposed to efx painted one, let me know your thoughts

cheers

46. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

Very interesting indeed :)

47. vadermania

vadermania Well-Known Member

The original ANH Vader faceplate in Grunberg's collection does have a dimensional C-scar. I have seen it with my own eyes when I visited the collection in France.

vader71, jkno, Fett22 and 1 other person like this.
  48. Fett22

Fett22 New Member

Vadermania do you have any pictures , I will love to see them :)

- - - Updated - - -

I have an U.K. Lineage facemask and I am planing to sculpt the c scar so all the references will be welcome

49. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

So vadermania & Fett22 are you both in agreement that it is a positive/sticking out detail rather than a negative/dented in mark?

On my Vader I made a negative mark and will prob leave it now as I'm the only person for whom it matters, but I may be doing another at some point :)

50. vadermania

vadermania Well-Known Member

i wasn't allowed to take pics unfortunately.

ataru72ita likes this.