ANH Luke Droid Caller Aluminum Top Cap

LOL, you’re the best Michael. One could only dream to have their very own lathe and know how to use it. You don’t sleep much either. All the best

Machines can be as addictive as props - you start with one, and may end with your cars in front of the garage due to it being full of machines. :$

Ah, so the Jawa one is a Transcriptor disc. Can't believe I hadn't noticed before since I've had that many of them!

do you mean the platform the stylus brush sits on?

I can't for the life of me see a flat edge in any screencaps

The Stylus Brush bases are too small. I think it could be this one:
jawacaller1.jpg

jawacaller2.jpg

There's another one that's wider than the top of the Kobold, probably other variants as well. They're the bases of the tone arms as far as I remember.

That one is just sitting on top of the Kobold. The other one I have has a wide stem but would still need to be glued in.

Tone arm parts are all over ANH.

You don't need to buy the whole turntable.

Banquo Fett, are you mixing up the Luke and Jawa versions?

Hey Gang! Going with the tablespoons starter idea via Banquo Fett ! I'm going to one up him a little and say that in addition to Lichtbringer's/Cameron's mention of the measuring spoon idea, it might also be a soup spoon or a ladle spoon....WITH the handle attached...

DROID CALLER - Luke shaking Biggs hand scene - Measuring Spoon Arm - Ridire Firean - 01.png

What do y'all see/think about that? I see it as being larger than the top of the Kobold, wonkily offset, and it also appears totally cockeyed in the Luke's hand pointing it in the garage scene. If there wasn't a handle holding it in place, I can't emagine how it would have tipped that far and not popped out/off of the Kobold.

Way to go kurtyboy ! for the Transcriptor Disc call on the Jawa's Droid Caller!

Hey HB1098S ! I like what you've done with the Jawa version, but I'd be curious to see you make your Luke version with an overhanging lip. Even though my personal preference leans towards a completely flush mounted version of what you have created, maybe with a slightly lowered, more shallow arched dome, I think the lip version would be more screen accurate for the folks who would like to purchase one if it was made that way. I really like your O-Ring channel too! Good Luck on your run!

Last edited by a moderator:
In this photo the dome is cockeyed,it's not flush.

I see something bent to the side, which you've outlined in red.
That's the side w/ the shoe- maybe the spoon handle was thin and stuck into the slot.

Hey Gang! Going with the tablespoons starter idea via Banquo Fett ! I'm going to one up him a little and say that in addition to Lichtbringer's/Cameron's mention of the measuring spoon idea, it might also be a soup spoon or a ladle spoon....WITH the handle attached...

View attachment 791882

What do y'all see/think about that? I see it as being larger than the top of the Kobold, wonkily offset, and it also appears totally cockeyed in the Luke's hand pointing it in the garage scene. If there wasn't a handle holding it in place, I can't emagine how it would have tipped that far and not popped out/off of the Kobold.

Way to go @kurtyboy ! for the Transcriptor Disc call on the Jawa's Droid Caller!

Hey @HB1098S ! I like what you've done with the Jawa version, but I'd be curious to see you make your Luke version with an overhanging lip. Even though my personal preference leans towards a completely flush mounted version of what you have created, maybe with a slightly lowered, more shallow arched dome, I think the lip version would be more screen accurate for the folks who would like to purchase one if it was made that way. I really like your O-Ring channel too! Good Luck on your run!

The detail you guys are pointing out is not part of the cap. It is in the background and just "lining up" with it

do you have the full picture?

LukeBiggs1-MOSW.pngLuke Droidcaller-03_zpswfu3pwe6.jpg~original.jpg01_044-1024x682NEW.jpg
Here it is, and another photo suggestive of a measuring spoon as the cap. Askew as usual. As I posted, I used a measuring spoon, and it matches the shine, the slight oversizing and explains why it would pop off - the stem at the back of the Kobold doesn't let it sit flush on the flash bulb insert. I used simple carpet tape to attach the spoon to the bulb holder of the flash. I would bet that would be the easiest explanation for the prop.

I'm also going to add my own theory that the D ring that attached the Kobold to the belt was not a D ring at all, but, probably the bent end of the spoon, as suggested here. Attaching it to the belt that way would allow the flash to sit vertical, as it was in the movie, later modified for publicity stills, which make it sit sideways (D ring through the lamp fixture).

Markus says "There is no spoon."

It looks like it could be a spoon, tho I don't think it's holding it to the belt, as you mention.

It’s actually the belt clip itself, reflecting blue sky.

Red outline is the belt clip and green is the d-ring.

Attachments

• F4414271-8A7A-44D8-B495-9ABD34E2DFE0.jpg
    F4414271-8A7A-44D8-B495-9ABD34E2DFE0.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 6C42F13D-5CFB-4FC4-9349-261ABE9C05D8.jpeg
    6C42F13D-5CFB-4FC4-9349-261ABE9C05D8.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back