Anh Escape Pod Research Thread

Jason,

Part 32 on Picture six (map3jpg.jpg) is the 1/24 Jagdpanther/Panther, not 32 on picture four (map2pjpg.jpg)!

Also, do you have a scan of the Marder part for part#12 on either side, under the kubelwagen? I agree it isn't the Monogram or Tamiya 232 (8-rad), as the holes are too far from the part edge, but I can't see a part like that in any Italeri Marder scans.

Cheers and keep up the great work :thumbsup :thumbsup
John

No.6 on Map1bJPG (engine section) is part C-5 from the Tamiya Jackson.

They're the tiny tow-hooks set into the barrel-clamps (B-42) from the Hasegawa Sherman.

Hey JD thanks for that.

I have updated, amended & moved the Maps to POST #1 with the Kit List.

Sorry for the mis prints Ive been sick & not concentrating.
Ive had lots of ID's from various places & people & just got a little lost.

I don't have a scan of the Italeri Marder for varification.
I got the Id from an associate thats very good with parts & decided to post it as the Tamiya 8 Rad is 'definately' not the donor. Thought it might spark someone to get a positive so i think I removed it but if I haven't Im about too.
Thanks for the progress.

Anyone got a picture of the backside of this model?

Map 4, Part 2......ive just had a glance, not checked dims on my donors, but why does it scream Tamiya 1/12 M23 rear rim?
It would have had to have been cut i think......but ill get to my kits and just have a looksee when im at the bench later.

lee

Is the bottom of the rockets filled in?
I think your right with the 1/12
Ive only got the JPS & 312T so will check them out.

Joe those AA guns & radars are the same in the Shinano.
I think also the Junyo.

Looks as though they are filled in, could be a trick of the camera, but the heatsinks seem to be glued on the tips of the outer fins, into the cone?

Ill check what i have in my F1's later, i have quite a few to run through so it may turn something up.

lee

Anyone got a picture of the backside of this model?

I guess from that you don't have a copy of Chronicles? It's not the clearest pic, but it's enough to confirm that the detail on the third rail is consistent with the other two. The paneling either side matches that on the other two rails (on the sides away from the main hatch).

Map 2 #34 Bandai Panther/Jagdpanther Sprue I(Black) #19.
It has the top extension cut off it.

Do you have a pic of the part, Jason? Because also in Chronicles there's a pic of the pod primed in black and that part appears to have been added after priming - and it's white.

Does anyone have a 1/700 Gato to see if those railings are the same as the back of the Escape Pod? They look the same but then again 1/700 might be to small.

Is the bottom of the rockets filled in?
I think your right with the 1/12
Ive only got the JPS & 312T so will check them out.

Joe those AA guns & radars are the same in the Shinano.
I think also the Junyo.

Jason,
Double check some of those guns. I don't have the Shinano or Junyo but going off scans, the Junyo's looks right, just make sure they have the center nipple and not a dimple. The Shinano guns don't look right according to the scans from StudioScale.com...could this be a later tooling? Anyone have pics of different looking Shinano guns?

Taiho guns with nipple and flaring "wings"
taihoguns.jpg

Shinano guns missing "wings"
shinanoguns-1.jpg

As for the radars, the Shinano and Junyo do not match at all. If you look at the first pic of the Escape Pod model, you can see the angled structural bars on each radar. Both Taiho's radars have these bars. The Shinano and Junyo do not...whether or not you can add them later, I don't know, but the Taiho's come ready to kit bash and with two, conveniently.

Taiho radars with structural bars
tahioradar.jpg

Shinano radars...no bars
shinanoradar.jpg

Junyo radars...no bars
junyoradar.jpg

Again, certain toolings could have the correct parts.

Last edited:
Map 4, Part 2......ive just had a glance, not checked dims on my donors, but why does it scream Tamiya 1/12 M23 rear rim?
It would have had to have been cut i think......but ill get to my kits and just have a looksee when im at the bench later.

lee

Here's what we can see about the suspected rim inside the Saturn engine. It's not tapered so that eliminates many F-1 cars. It also has an inner lip which looks like it would receive another rim piece. I don't have the kit but I thought the front wheel inner-half rim of the P34 Tyrrell, part #J6, looked close but it might be too small.

Using the Saturn lunar cone and my calipers, the "rim" diameter should measure somewhere in and around 3 cm.

Looks as though they are filled in, could be a trick of the camera, but the heatsinks seem to be glued on the tips of the outer fins, into the cone?

lee

Also, is there some sort of upside-down dome/cone where the heatsink sits?...where the Saturn lunar module cone and engine meet. You should be able to see further down with those two parts together. Also, the suspected rim is a smaller diameter than the lunar cone which means it might also be barely glued on...OR...also sitting on this upside-down dome/cone. The dome itself looks to have a lip where the "rim" sits on. Hmmm....

Joe

Last edited:
Hey Joe the Vinatge Shinano does have the right AA guns but not the right radar. My eyesight has become terrible. Sorry. That Bandai part is not right either on further examination... The bottom stub is just a bit too small & that picture in Chronicles does show that piece(the only darn piece not painted black :confused) to be white which leads us to believe another truck part....
I do have the Cronicles though am hoping for a clear shot for the maps.
The thrusters to me look to be filled in but with my eyesight the way it has got lately Im probably wrong :) Keep up the good work. Theres not much to go.

The bottom of the SatV part #26 appears to have been sanded flat. The visible edge (red circle) is thinner than the stock part.

Any ID for the small parts at the base of the F1 engines? They look like guns from one of the small ship kits.

Not as in from an F-1 kit; the actual engines on a Saturn V's first stage are 'F1's. The five second-stage and single third stage engines are 'J2's.

Young people, today... :lol

can someone share info on which kubelwagen we're talking here? thought i did my homework correctly, but am currently holding a auction win that ISN'T the right one, lol.
thx

Which one are you winning? The only one I haven't been able to study either in hand or in scans is the vintage Tamiya 1/35. Please tell me this isn't the one you are winning. I have one coming in a few days.

Joe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back