American Psycho Paper Prop--UPDATE! MADE! Check new post

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by spiderfan11, May 12, 2006.

1. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone know where I could get a link to a printable business card of Patrick Bateman's from theis movie? It's fairly easy I guess, but I have no skills or a program to fix it up and make it look good like I have seen some of you do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. spiderfan11

Alright, I found a screen cap, only one problem, I cannot decipher half of the bottom line. If anyone has extremely good eyes, or can recognise the text, please, I would appreciate it.

[​IMG]

3. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

358 Exchange Place New York N.Y, 10099 Fax 222 555 6390 telex 20 4534

thats what it looks like to me

4. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

"That's Bone."

:D

-Rabittooth

5. spiderfan11

I thought it said 358 exchange place too, but then I thought the building was called 1st exchange place in the movie, can anyone veify this?

6. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

anyone know what font that is

7. spiderfan11

It's a lot of different fonts. Some of the more fancy looking letters are monotype corsiva. But I would reccommend you just play around with it.

8. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

cool
    ok i will try this out
    but what's it say beneath pierce & pierce
    cant quite make it out

9. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Mergers and Acquisitions" , but the second word is misspelled "Aquisitions"

btw, you guys do know that I work for a business card printing company, right? ;)

I have been meaning to get this one made up, I just havent had time. If someone makes the graphics, I can get it printed, very cheaply :D

LMK

10. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

cheers adamata
    i think this a nice one to taclkle
    the fonts are mixed
    and different hights
    i like a challenge

well i just did a quick layout just a couple of minutes messing about
    a lot more work to be done on this yet
    any and all ideas are welcome

[​IMG]

oops just noticed the name patrick is all in caps
    and mine is not

11. spiderfan11

ok, Looked at the one I made, and the fonts that matched up near perfect with the letters were as listed:

All numbers at top: Monotype Corsiva
    Pierce and Pierce Name: Garamond
    Mergers and Acquisitions: Arial
    Patrick Bateman and Vice President: Times new Roman
    358: Monotype corsiva
    and Use times new roman for the rest of the line, except for the last 2 sets of numbers (20 4534) which are "Tunga" font

Hope that helps. By the way, I made mine, but when I made it into a picture file, it was very hard to read when printed, so, if anyone wants to fix the one I made up, I would be glad to send it so you can make it more like the one above, with the lines around it and such, since I don't have any specialty picture programs.

12. spiderfan11

Alright, few minor changes, but here is my current layout. Let me know what you think, I stayed up late last night for this one. lol

[​IMG]

13. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(adamata @ May 13 2006, 01:17 PM) [snapback]1243702[/snapback]</div>
    So, is there really a style of business card called "scillain rail"??

BTW are you sure it's "Mergers and Acquisitions" or "Murders and Executions"?? :D

DS

14. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

nice one spiderfan
    that info will help a lot

15. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(adamata @ May 13 2006, 01:17 PM) [snapback]1243702[/snapback]</div>
    I'm gonna be interested if you do a run. :D

-R

16. agent5

agent5 Sr Member

I'm also interested in at least 2 if the price is right. If it's insanely low then I'll get several.

I was in contact with a guy in New Mexico who had sets of the originals made for the production from a solid contact he had at New Line where he had first dibs on props and costumes before they cleaned house and sent them to auction. He was selling the supposed originals for a pretty penny a while back but when I contacted him a year later he said he has sold them all. Then I saw several up on Ebay a while later, again for alot of money.

I've always wanted one and so has a friend of mine. Such a great flick and an intersting character, to say the least.

17. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Sorry guys, but I had to pull a couple of posts out of this thread. Pms will be sent to those individuals. It's been a long standing rule around there, but it bears repeating...

Selling or advertising product for banned members is not allowed on the RPF.

18. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(spiderfan11 @ May 13 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]1243415[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>(mez7 @ May 13 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]1243438[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>(shuktuki @ May 14 2006, 02:25 AM) [snapback]1243703[/snapback]</div>
    When I saw the first pic above, I, too, thought the area code for the FAX number was "222."

But after examining the image more closely, I'd like to suggest that it's a "1." Because the font is so stylized, it looks at first glance like a "2," but take a real good look at that top shot again and see if it doesn't turn into a "1" before your very eyes. :)

In addition, it makes much more sense for the area code of the FAX to match the area code of the phone number, "212" (which is a real New York area code).

What do you think?

FAX 212 555 6390

19. synasp

synasp Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(rocketeer25 @ May 14 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]1244209[/snapback]</div>
    What he said.

More PMs to people on the way...

20. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

21. amish

amish Sr Member

Temponaut,

That is looking really good. It will be interesting to compare all the versions of this card once everything is done.

Great work.

Tom

22. amish

amish Sr Member

I am thinking of taking this a step further and modeling my own business card after one of these....lol

I do like the simplicity and style of them.

or would this be too geeky...lol

23. temponaut

<div class='quotetop'>(amish @ May 15 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]1244531[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Tom. It's nothing compared to the work that others have done on this, but I'm glad I could contribute something. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(amish @ May 15 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]1244551[/snapback]</div>
    You know, I bet most people would never recognize the origin of the design, and most of those that do will be prop dogs like us. So if you like the style, I'd say go for it. Just think how much fun it will be for you every time you give one out. :D

24. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

hey temponaut
    i just found this pic
    and if you zoom it in
    it is indeed 212
    well spotted man
    [​IMG]

25. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

26. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

if the owner of this pic would like it removed
    please post
    i found it on my drive must have found it 0nline ages ago
    didnt know where from so if i am stepping on anyones toes please contact me i will remove it
    but any way heres how far i have got still a bit of work to be done let me know what you think
    [​IMG]

27. moffeaton

Switch to Hoefler text on your file (see example below). The red font is Hoefler text - pay particular attention to the numbers, and their positioning - matches the production-used ones perfectly.

[​IMG]

28. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

NICE ONE
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

29. moffeaton

;) just don't make a blatant typo in the top right corner and you'll be good to go, heh.

30. amish

amish Sr Member

Nice find Jason.

31. spiderfan11

Moffeaton, could you make one up? You clearly have a good text to use. I am looking for a place to download it for free, but I'm not finding it.

32. moffeaton

I'm flattered, but I'm going to politely decline - the owner of the production-used cards is planning a run, and I am loathe to be on his radar/step on his toes. In fact, I've probably stepped too far out of my cave as it is, lol.

I'm sure someone else with Hoefler can step up and whip one out - it's a 10 minute job, tops.

33. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

moffeaton
    i didnt even notice the typo
    thanks for pointing that out

34. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ May 15 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]1244717[/snapback]</div>

Jason, what were you thinking? By simply referring to that project you've called down the wrath of . . . um . . . well, the wrath of the powers that be :rolleyes . The skies will open up any minute now and swallow that post. Oh, woe be unto you. Farewell, dear post. It was nice knowing you.

35. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ May 15 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]1244723[/snapback]</div>

Jason, what were you thinking? By simply referring to that project you've called down the wrath of . . . um . . . well, the wrath of the powers that be :rolleyes . The skies will open up any minute now and swallow that post. Oh, woe be unto you. Farewell, dear post. It was nice knowing you.
    [/b][/quote]

:lol :lol :lol

Bruce

36. spiderfan11

37. adamata

OK, so here's the dilema.

I could get these made up very cheaply. either on a standard matte stock or a linen stock. i think the matte would look more like the original.

And by cheap, I mean about 6 cards for about $1.50 shipped.

But, if someone is going to be doing a run of these, I do not want to step on toes either.

So, you guys decide. If the members who are posting here can come up with a design you like (take a vote, get a consensus, etc) then email me and we can do it. if you want to wait and see what is offered in the future. that works for me too. :)

email: adamata@restrainingbolt.com

38. moffeaton

Hehe, Pete, you rock.

39. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(shuktuki @ May 15 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]1244668[/snapback]</div>
    Ohh I want. I'll certainly keep an eye out on this thread for whoever picks this project up.

And well done to Moffeaton on the font match, looks wicked.

And just out of interest (I dunno whether these are real fonts) but the script goes:

BATEMAN
    New card. What do you think?

McDermott lifts it up and examines the lettering carefully.

McDERMOTT
    Whoa. Very nice. Take a look.

He hands it to Van Patten.

BATEMAN
    Picked them up from the printers yesterday

VAN PATTEN
    Good coloring.

BATEMAN
    That's bone. And the lettering is something called
    Silian Rail.

McDERMOTT
    (Envious)
    Silian Rail?

VAN PATTEN
    It is very cool, Bateman. But that's nothing.

He pulls a card out of his wallet and slaps it on the
    table.

VAN PATTEN
    Look at this.

They all lean forward to inspect it.

PRICE
    That's really nice.

Bateman clenches his fists beneath the table, trying to
    control his anxiety.

VAN PATTEN
    Eggshell with Romalian type.
    (Turning to Bateman)
    What do you think?

BATEMAN
    (Barely able to breath, his voice a croak)
    Nice.

PRICE
    (Holding the card up to the light)
    Jesus. This is really super. How'd a nitwit like you get so
    tasteful?

Bateman stares at his own card and then enviously at
    McDermott's.

BATEMAN (V.O.)
    I can't believe that Price prefers McDermott's card to mine.

PRICE
    But wait. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

He holds up his own card.

PRICE
    Raised lettering, pale nimbus white...

BATEMAN
    (Choking with anxiety)
    Impressive. Very nice. Let's see Paul Allen's card.

Price pulls a card from an inside coat pocket and holds it
    up for their inspection: "PAUL ALLEN, PIERCE & PIERCE,
    MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS." Bateman swallows, speechless.
    The sound in the room dies down and all we hear is a faint
    heartbeat as Bateman stares at the magnificent card.

BATEMAN (V.O.)
    Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness
    of it. Oh my God, it even has a watermark...

His hand shaking, Bateman lifts up the card and stares at it
    until it fills the screen.

40. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

Geez - how many boards does one have to belong to?

Whoever does these, especially if they come out for a couple bucks - I'm certainly interested. I'd been following the ones on that-place-we-can't-refer-to-unless-it's-ours off and on, but have always been bid past what I value the cards at.

I didn't think that much of the movie, but do have a bunch of movie business cards that this/these would fit into nicely.

Let me know. Thanks.

David

41. spiderfan11

Look, the way I see it, that guy is selling them only to members on that board, I am not a member there, so we should make on exclusive to the members here. It's not like we stole his work, we made our own with our own research. So I say we all take the votes, get a digital copy made up, and send it to adamata to make our own special run. WHOS WITH ME?... lol

42. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

You could certainly do a run here, exclusive or not.

OR . . .

You could join that other board, whatever it's name is. Membership is open to anyone. I happen to know the guys that run it. As long as you deal with that Amish guy, you'll be okay. It's the other one you've got to watch out for.

43. temponaut

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ May 17 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]1245364[/snapback]</div>
    :lol

44. adamata

Well, ok. All seems cool.

If the members here want a run from the work done in this thread. I am at your disposal. Come up with a final design, make it a pdf file at 300dpi and send it to me here:

adamata@restrainingbolt.com

and I will do the rest.

When they are done, I will post here with specifics on getting some.

Sound OK?

45. spiderfan11

Sounds good adamata, lets get crackn guys. We already know what all the lines say. and we know what text to use, now we just need to get a pfd made up. Let's figure out who can do what here as far as the card design goes, then get one made up and sent in to adamata.

46. spiderfan11

47. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OK, this garnered quite a bit of interest and then fell off... I'm interested in getting a screen-accurate American Psycho business cards reproduced from an intense, up-close study of an authentic set. But, if it means paying anything more than $2-3 dollars for the set then it's not worth it. They are really just plain text business cards after all...

Oh, and bump.

48. spiderfan11

It's true, I actually started a good one for a while, maybe we can bring it back from the dead.

49. spiderfan11

I recently downloaded the beta prgram of 2007 publisher, and It has a cool business card template on it. I know we had trouble finding a font before, but I also found that. It's called constantia, and is new for the new windows software coming out. It is dead on witht he movie, the numbers are even in different heights and areas like in the movie, without you having to put them there. So I finally nailed down a design I think is * near screen accurate. I printed 6 of them off and I asked my dad to cut them with his paper cutter at work, so they look good. When he gets them cut, I'll take pics so you guys can see. Also, if anyone would like one or two when they see it, I'd be glad to send them out $1 to cover any fees, and for that you could get 3 cards cut and shipped. This is not a very large fee to ask considing the heavy card stock and ink costs. But I'll let you all decide that for yourselves whenI get some made up. or, if someone somehow who works for a printing company could make some high quality ones, we could find a way to do that.