Amazon's The Expanse

I've been binge-watching this over the last few weeks since signing up for a free trial with Prime. I'm up to the first couple of episodes into season 4.

It can say it's been one of the most enjoyable sci-far viewings in a very long time - every episode has its thrilling moments and it's very difficult not to watch more than two at a time (I think I watched two sittings of two episodes on Saturday!).

I understand that it has been adapted from the novels and I'm sure that there are TV channel budgeting and scheduling reasons for it, but did anyone else think that the natural ending points of a season seem to come mid-way through (e.g. the crash of Eros into Venus which feels like it could have been a more natural end for season 1 was halfway through season 2, the end of the hybrid programme was halfway through season 3, and the exploration of the ring-gate felt like a whole new season!). Do the novels begin and end at similar points to the series?

I've been binge-watching this over the last few weeks since signing up for a free trial with Prime. I'm up to the first couple of episodes into season 4.

It can say it's been one of the most enjoyable sci-far viewings in a very long time - every episode has its thrilling moments and it's very difficult not to watch more than two at a time (I think I watched two sittings of two episodes on Saturday!).

I understand that it has been adapted from the novels and I'm sure that there are TV channel budgeting and scheduling reasons for it, but did anyone else think that the natural ending points of a season seem to come mid-way through (e.g. the crash of Eros into Venus which feels like it could have been a more natural end for season 1 was halfway through season 2, the end of the hybrid programme was halfway through season 3, and the exploration of the ring-gate felt like a whole new season!). Do the novels begin and end at similar points to the series?

The novels have definite endings. The show has been kind of stretching some stuff over multiple seasons. For example, the crashing of Eros was pretty much the ending of book 1. They are also mixing in some stuff from short stories and introduced some characters earlier than the books. The end of season 4 pretty much brings things concurrent with the end of book 4, more or less.

Yeah to echo what DBoz said they kind of adapt 3/4 of a book per season up until season 4 which is basically the whole of book 4 with some adaptation of the novellas worked in.

They could even give it 5 years and recast to cover the difference between 6 and 7. I’ve just seen buzz for #finishtheexpanse from people who love the newer books, but I think it’s really misguided. Those books (I haven’t read them, just synopsis) are basically a totally new story and genre, it makes sense to end where Babylons Ashes does for a TV adaptation.

They could even give it 5 years and recast to cover the difference between 6 and 7. I’ve just seen buzz for #finishtheexpanse from people who love the newer books, but I think it’s really misguided. Those books (I haven’t read them, just synopsis) are basically a totally new story and genre, it makes sense to end where Babylons Ashes does for a TV adaptation.
I agree. Although the characters carry over, it's a whole new ballgame.

I fell asleep mid way through 5:1 (it’s not their fault I was up all night) but I didn’t really like how it felt from what I saw. Season 4 seemed like a crazy jump in cinematography and acting, but the way this episode opened felt a little meh. The actors portraying the scientists felt really wooden and there was no tension for a season premiere, if just kind of lumbers over the starting line.

I fell asleep mid way through 5:1 (it’s not their fault I was up all night) but I didn’t really like how it felt from what I saw. Season 4 seemed like a crazy jump in cinematography and acting, but the way this episode opened felt a little meh. The actors portraying the scientists felt really wooden and there was no tension for a season premiere, if just kind of lumbers over the starting line.

Try rewatching when you're rested, maybe? I really enjoyed the first three and am really invested in where the season is going.

I just feel like a lot of shows and movies struggle with openings lately. It’s kind of plodding in the beginning and pushes me out of enjoyment. I love the book it’s based on so I’ll finish the season, it just keeps feeling like the show I have to convince people to watch not one that people are drawn to.

The first 3 are reminding me a bit of S1 where it jumped between 3 locations with 3 seemingly different things going on. Just now you have like 5-6. These are more clearly connected though.

It feels like they get a little lost in the world building from time to time. I realize it’s a pretty broad cast of characters but I feel like they lose focus on the Roci crew. I will absolutely still watch the remainder of the series though

It feels like they get a little lost in the world building from time to time. I realize it’s a pretty broad cast of characters but I feel like they lose focus on the Roci crew. I will absolutely still watch the remainder of the series though
Well, they are focusing on the crew, they just have them on 4 different paths, meaning 4 different subplots for just them. Plus 2 others...so 6 main sub plots in three episodes.

I have to say, I watch this series based on the actors. And some of the sets and practical effects. And the many ways Shohreh can swear. About 24 minutes into the latest episode I was yelling at the screen, not believing what I was seeing, and expecting a close to real version one day soon. Thats what happens man, that’s what happens...no spoilers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back