Aluminum Cold Casting - Questions

darkgreymatter

I'm working on some sculptures that I 3d printed and cast in plastic (as well as making a couple solid aluminum ones) and I've been having a heck of a time getting a nice durable faux metal finish. Issues with finger printing, dry times, decent clear coat, etc.

Point being, I'm now looking to cold casting to make plastic bronze and aluminum versions. I've done quite a bit of research.

Here's my question, for an aluminum one, should I tint the plastic? If so, what color? I'm planning on using Smooth-Cast 325.

I've added an image of what I've produced for reference. They are about 7.5" tall.

swan_labels.jpg

For aluminum or steel tones, black or grey is a good base for the resin. Brass, bronze, or gold tones, a brown base is generally better.

If dusting the mold isn't giving you the effect you like, you can try mixing 1:1:1 A B and cold cast powder for the first layer in the mold, backing it with plain resin.

I cold casted with both Smooth Cast 310 (black tinted) and ONYX. In both cases, use an equal mix of part A, B and powder.

Dusting the mold really does help the final look when you wet sand your piece.

Note that cold casting will ruin your mold at 3x the normal rate! That's my experience anyway! :)

Oh and those painted and varnished pieces are amazing!

Thank you everyone for your responses. This is my first endeavor into all these processes and I appreciate your insight. This has been a personal project to learn about the materials. Even the mess ups are a good experience. I always wanted to be a prop builder, but my career in 3d animation took me elsewhere.

Bigturc - Thank you. The red one is my favorite, I almost don't want to sell it. I'm keeping the nicer aluminum one.

I have another question on the aluminum powder.

Locally I can buy "brown" aluminum oxide powder which is 96% pure at 180 or 220 mesh. They may have "white" aluminum oxide powder which is 99% pure. Would these work for cold casting?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back