Alternatives to Fiber Glass

TheConanRider

Hi, I am planning to make a Guy Fawkes mask using a plaster of Paris mold and originally I was going to use fiber glass but after doing some research I found out that I would require a respirator. I was wondering what would be the best alternative to fiber glass. I want something that will be rigid and less toxic than the resin that is included with this fibre glass kit.

Here is the product I was originally going to buy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIBRE-GLA...121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f0a459c1

You can get Smooth On stuff in the UK here, or you can try these guys here for alternatives. Your best bet is a silicone mould and slush casting some polyurethane resin inside it. Generally casting a hard material into a hard mould is a bad idea.

Hi, I am planning to make a Guy Fawkes mask using a plaster of Paris mold and originally I was going to use fiber glass but after doing some research I found out that I would require a respirator. I was wondering what would be the best alternative to fiber glass. I want something that will be rigid and less toxic than the resin that is included with this fibre glass kit.

Have you considered a water based product like Jesmonite? http://jesmonite.com/

Can I use polyurethane resin without a respirator?

If you can't work outside or in a well-ventilated area, I would most definitely advise a respirator. Even in ideal situations, I would greatly advise using a respirator. I wouldn't say it is extremely noxious, but starting out working with this stuff, I found out the hard way that the smell was enough to irritate my airways and had me hacking and coughing something fierce. Even spilling some of this stuff on my skin was enough to have me break out in hives.

Better safe than sorry, friend. Eye protection, respirators, and gloves are relatively cheap investments to protect yourself from damaging what they protect. Though I'm not a professional, long-term exposure to dust and fumes, I'm fairly certain isn't good for your lungs and eyes in the long run.

In short: Safety first and foremost!!

You could use any runny epoxy resin for laying fibreglass. You can thicken it will colloidal silica to prevent it from running. Just make sure that it is mixed properly so that there are no lumps of silica. I have used laminating epoxy (from West Systems), but for small work I have even used regular epoxy adhesive from the hardware store because it is mixes 1:1. Instead of fibreglass matting, I would suggest a weave because it is thinner. Cut the pieces of weave before you lay them.
White pigment (zink oxide or titanium dioxide) will blend well with epoxy to make a gelcoat.

Then when you need to trim and sand it, then you will need a respirator because neither fibreglass dust nor epoxy dust is good for your lungs.

This:
wsy3760.jpg

works like polyester resin very low oder

A decent respirator isn't very expensive. You could end up spending a lot more money and time trying alternative materials, rather than just getting one.

It's a safety tool that we should all have for resins, paints, sanding dust, etc...

I think I am going to use this kit http://www.mbfg.co.uk/category-186/polycraft-moulding-casting-resin-kit-small.html . I just want something that doesn't require much investment for my first mold. The resin included is odourless and I will be working outside anyways.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back