Almost truly hovering Training Remote

Fred, looks good. Your base color and the rust look just about right.

If you're going to go back in (say, to weather it or whatever) you may want to revisit tiles. I'm not certain they're all supposed to be the same color tone...

Here's a shot of the original (on the left). Note how the perimeter tiles are almost the same as the base color....

Hey PH,

Thanks for those pics. I've never seen anywhere where anyone has identified the correct colors. Frank C's tutorial suggest that they may be a light blue and in those pics it looks like they're the base color.

My feeling is that they were the same gray as the the little rectangles and have just worn off over the years. Once I figure out how to do a wash to weather it, I'll give the equatorial rectangles a light sanding and see how they look.

The red is just krylon red oxide primer from a rattle can. I sprayed it into a cup and brushed it on. I'm not entirely happy with the way it brushed on. I only had a crappy brush (I didn't want to ruin any of my good ones) to work with. I may go and buy a decent brush just for this job. I wonder if the primer would clean up with regular enamel paint thinner. Anyone know?

-Fred

I think you'd be right on track with the light sanding approach...

For the red, just get yourself a little bottle of basic Testor's Rust. That's what I used on mine (the one on the right). Works beautifully. :D

dang that is sweet. It reminds me of a science experiment i once saw where there was a paper clip with a string tied to it and then a magnet just out of the reach of the string so the paperclip was hovering there. A setup like this might cost cheaper if this one doesnt work. Its still looking awesome, dont give up im sure theres some way to get the bugs out.

good luck :thumbsup ,

-Zach

Hi there
If pulling it up with a magnet doesn't work, how about pushing it up with magnets in the base that have the same polarity? You'd have to either use a large ring like magnet or several smaller ones in a circle, but then you'd just have to find the right weight to push ratio for it to hover.
I'm not sure if this part would work, but if you had several smaller magnets in the base and a few in the remote, perhaps having the ones in the base be on a platform that rotated would impart a slow spin to the remote. I'm guessing on this though.

Corbin Das

Corbin@CorbinsComponents.com

has someone thought of doing one like the antigrav pens out there you know the pen is suspended between 2 opposing magnets that would be a truly hovering remote

charlie

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back