Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

I’m going with this one:

FAC544F8-A18D-4282-A411-72CE02026F82.jpeg

New Polo (Ralph Lauren) jacket. This was harder to find than the real jackets but less than $100 shipped. Planning to get it converted. If I can find a model or something I’ll let everyone know. I went through about 2500 eBay listings to find it. And I found exactly one in all those listings. I used a very broad “polo Ralph Lauren size large jacket” search and only 6000+ listings came up. I stopped looking when it went over $200 shipped, so there may be others. Or other sizes…

It was found in this thread earlier (not sure who by now- it was a few pages back), so I started looking for one.

This appears to be made from the same pattern, or reverse-engineered from the real article- it will be going to someone very familiar with the "real" jackets for a closer study... It does not have the hood (I don't think so anyway), or the beaver tail, but those are not seen on screen anyway.

But the last '69 jacket on eBay went for just shy of $600 (well over that if you count shipping to the USA), because I was considering it for myself. That one wasn't ven the "gray" color either! Crazy! Plus you are not modifying a piece of military history with one of these. Other jackets, which are much newer, are hovering around $200 these days. I don't see that dropping, so an alternative makes sense.

I'm sure, in the right hands, and with a careful eye, this will look every bit as good as a "real" jacket.

But, prices are at a point now where it may also make sense for someone like Indy Magnoli to offer a perfect reproduction. Just get a less expensive tiny size (genuine) jacket to make up the pattern, throw on your patches, piping and (optional) lacing. Maybe make the patches and piping optional too?

And getting off track slightly...

This is an inexpensive (leather!) option I think would be a great base for an "inspired by" jacket.

Why, yes I have been looking at a LOT of jackets lately!

I've been looking around. After shipping, everything is over $200.

If this Polo jacket sucks, I'll just throw it back in the 'bay. But I think it might be a reasonable option, particularly for those larger than a "size 8" would accommodate, as I presume it was made in larger sizes as well. But I've not found another, although I have stopped looking too...

I’m going with this one:

View attachment 1473604
New Polo (Ralph Lauren) jacket. This was harder to find than the real jackets but less than $100 shipped. Planning to get it converted. If I can find a model or something I’ll let everyone know. I went through about 2500 eBay listings to find it. And I found exactly one in all those listings. I used a very broad “polo Ralph Lauren size large jacket” search and only 6000+ listings came up. I stopped looking when it went over $200 shipped, so there may be others. Or other sizes…
This looks like an excellent alternative to a genuine MKIII jacket. It even seems to have the button placket hooks down the right side (or whatever that is...?)
The only thing that seems to be missing is the pen pocket on the left sleeve. I suppose you could add it or just ignore it since it is more or less covered by the compression laces anyway.
The prices of actual RAF MKIII jackets are nuts right now. I got lucky and bought mine from the Chech Republic for US$80.00, which apparently is peanuts these days.
I suppose you would have to color the synthetic ribbon/strap sections with a Sharpie or something since I wouldn't expect the dye to color it.
I'm gonna look for one of these.

Missing the pen pocket yes, and the collar may be slightly smaller than the real one. No insulation or "waterproof treatment" either. It should be a dream to dye this, as I assume the tape is cotton, but I'll know for sure when it arrives (supposedly Monday). Assuming it fits and I'm happy with it, it will then be forwarded to someone intimately familiar with these jackets and their conversion for potential conversion. That will be based on that person's assessment of the jacket.

I will see if there is any model name/number info inside to make searching easier. I looked at ~2500 auction listings and found one jacket. They are actually more rare than the real ones (but more affordable, and presumably a bit cooler to wear as well). A used one should be much less expensive than what I paid for this brand new one as well, so that makes it VERY affordable. If there's enough demand, perhaps Ralph could be convinced to do a re-run of these. If you are larger than "size 8" you are SOL for one of these as a "genuine" but Ralph could make them any size (and perhaps already has).

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress with this, and hopefully end up with a nice Nostromo jacket for myself once the dust settles.

DERAIL ALERT:

Not a big one, but I think the right group to ask this of are here.

The Tupperware coffee cup that Dallas uses: is the color white, gray or light pink? I'm looking for some now, and due to the cost (for an old plastic cup?), I don't want to go buying the wrong color. I guess there is a Tupperware collector market out there? Also, the white is VERY hard to find (and therefore more expensive) for some reason, so I want to be sure of the color.

Then the decals? I have seen some replicas with the blue wings on them, which seems plausible, but I don't recall seeing them on the cup(s) on screen...

DERAIL ALERT:

Not a big one, but I think the right group to ask this of are here.

The Tupperware coffee cup that Dallas uses: is the color white, gray or light pink? I'm looking for some now, and due to the cost (for an old plastic cup?), I don't want to go buying the wrong color. I guess there is a Tupperware collector market out there? Also, the white is VERY hard to find (and therefore more expensive) for some reason, so I want to be sure of the color.

Then the decals? I have seen some replicas with the blue wings on them, which seems plausible, but I don't recall seeing them on the cup(s) on screen...
Many years ago there was a thread on the Propsummit site that went into details about the white Tupperware mug seen in ALIEN. I took inspiration from it and made my own and replicated the Weylan-Yutani wing design in vector format. I've included pictures of my finished mug, the bottom of it so you can get the correct one (1312), and a PDF of the wing design in different sizes including the one you see on my mug. This should make things a lot easier for you to make your own.

Attachments

• 20171108_200716.jpg
    20171108_200716.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 20171129_074239.jpg
    20171129_074239.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 190
  • acb987427ee07fe8cceef0af93fd55d5.jpg
    acb987427ee07fe8cceef0af93fd55d5.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 284
  • wy-wings2.pdf
    527.6 KB · Views: 132
I agree! This is one of the best forums.

Besides the generosity of members like yourself, I am pleasantly surprised with the lack of “locked ” threads due to debate degradation. It’s almost as if actual human beings are members here, rather than keyboard warriors.

I try to contribute where I can, to try and return the generosity. If you need anything, just let me know and I’ll try to help!

Another costume question:

Ive been looking high and low for suitable PF Flyers. Today I realized that Kane wears black boots of some sort! I’ve been looking for the wrong shoe all along!

Do we have a positive ID on the shoe/boot Kane wears? It looks like a canvas/leather deal like a jungle boot but with a smoother sole. Maybe a Palladium boot?

I’m looking but I don’t know what I’m looking for exactly. And I’m glad I didn’t make up the sneaker eyelets etc. although I’d probably use them at some point.

Yes, gotta love the RPF (and Propsummit also) ;)

And just quickly on that, Propsummit is an excellent trove of knowledge, but the Alien/s-related section seems dead ...

Conversely, the Aliens Legacy forums is still very much in action, and if you're not aware, I'd love to see you over there too (not to detract from the RFP in any way, of course)

Last edited:
I was just trolling the Aliens legacy forums and most of the posts/information are quite old. And the costume locked thread seems to be missing a key PDF with a ton of compiled information? Do I need to sign up just to view things?

I was just trolling the Aliens legacy forums and most of the posts/information are quite old. And the costume locked thread seems to be missing a key PDF with a ton of compiled information? Do I need to sign up just to view things?
Not sure--but I'd sign-up either way--it is another great forum of info.

A while back I found the same Polo jacket as @ID10T completely by accident. It just came up on my eBay feed.
It's a nice light weight for warmer climates. I was going to make it into an WY in-world jacket. As you can see they did a good job on the details except for the pen pocket. Unfortunately there is no model number or ID info of any kind.

Attachments

• IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    869.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    846 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
Sadly, where ppl have used image hosting sites, these links die over time.
Some of the "old-timers" are going slowly through these older topics and attempting to replace missing bits where possible.

Signing doesn't change what you can view, other than the Sales subforum (which requires a small number of posts to get access to, to help minium bot spam, etc). If there's a specific PDF you're after, I'd recommend necroposting to see if it can be found [in the depths of someone's HDD]. If you really have no interest in signing up, I'm happy to request the file on your behalf (if you PM me the details); no trying to be a "forum-pusher" :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back