Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

I hit the jackpot... or so I thought. I won a great looking, broken-in brown A2 leather flight jacket on eBay for $25.

Now, the listing said it had a smell like cigarette smoke that would have to be aired-out. I got it yesterday, and it would have been more accurate had it said that it smells like it had been in a house fire. It absolutely reeks of smoke. It stunk-up my office for 20 minutes just taking it out of the box briefly to try it on.

So does anyone have a tip for getting the smell of apocalyptic hellfire out of a leather garment? One that doesn't involve me sending it out to a cleaner for 3 weeks and $60 to have it professionally treated?

I don't know about a garment that's spent its entire life around smoke, but I've had luck putting clothes in the freezer for a day or two, which seems to kind of whisk odors out. Good luck!

Hi, you'll want to use a stencil, and paint it on; I believe that fabric stores online have the correct type of paint for leather. Hmm, of course do that AFTER you have it cleaned or aired out.

Also, I will need to put 'Nostromo' on the back of this thing, and I don't know the best way to do it on leather. I know a guy with a silk-screening shop, but would silk-screening even work on leather? Does anyone have a stencil I can use or know of a maker who can do something that will work on this jacket?

Makes me think of this-
BBP09106lg.jpg

:)

I'm posting a cropped promo pic which shows Kane's boots. Maybe this will help in finding the right model. Too bad we still don't know what boots are these.

Rectification : They're not altered, there's even some currently for sale on french eBay (from an army surplus) :

eBay | Chaussures de brousse en toile A.française neuf ou PATAUGAS "Wissart ou Paladuim

It looks like they even have the WISSART label on the inside ankle, like these :

attachment.php

I think this label is spottable in the screencaps posted above... but it's not present on all Pataugas boots, be careful if you want to be screen-accurate when you buy a pair !

:sleep

I'm not even sure the Pataugas worn by Kane are black, I think they kept them kaki like the ones currently sold on eBay...

Thoughts anyone ?

Fred

Last edited:
Hm, I'm skeptic about those French model boots. The boots we are looking for have two kinds of lacing present. Take a look at the picture:

10omjwy.png

Part number 1, the lower part of the boot, has normal holes lacing, while the part number 2, the upper part of the boot, has speedlacing system. I can't see that on the Pataugas boots. Also the Pataguas don't look like they are made of the cloth fabric; they are too shiny for that. I think the boots Kane is wearing are made fully of leather.

Be skeptic if you like, you have the right to do so !

:sleep

Kane's boots look shiny ? Well... maybe yes, maybe not... In your screencaps they look like they're maybe made of leather but it's not the case in the production pic... My best guess would be :

1- Kane's boots are unaltered Pataugas (or another brand).

2- Kane's boots are altered Pataugas with :
A-different lacing in the upper part (you might be right, they look a little like the lacings seen on the jackets).
B- Painted fabric. I remember during my art school years that some of us had painted their sneakers with acrylic paint. The fabric was still apparent but the applied color had turned them into something a little shiny, like some sort of cheap leather...

:confused

My 2 cents for now...

Fred

"Altered boots" sounds most reasonable. The crew had custom sewn uniforms, altered jackets etc., so it is most probable that the boots are altered too. If so - this makes our investigation much much harder :( Too bad there aren't many pictures showing the boots in hires.

Last edited:
Fred--brilliant researching! I agree with you, they seem to be initially the French boots. Yes, probably altered for the screen, as the PF Flyers certainly were altered slightly (extra breathing hole, up from two to three; the lacing change).

Fred--brilliant researching! I agree with you, they seem to be initially the French boots. Yes, probably altered for the screen, as the PF Flyers certainly were altered slightly (extra breathing hole, up from two to three; the lacing change).

Thanks a lot YuriG for your approval !

I'll try to post pics of the pair I bought when I have time... first I must complete my little ongoing project on propsummit : Ripley's cockpit gashapons !

:)

Fred

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back