Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

I found this thread tonight while looking online for details about Ripley's costume in "Alien" and I couldn't be happier. Now I know exactly what I need to get and I'm looking forward to putting it all together. :)

I just spent a silly amount of my Easter break working on my shirt, and thought I might share the results:

nostromo_shirt_01.jpg

nostromo_shirt_02.jpg

nostromo_shirt_03.jpg

nostromo_shirt_04.jpg

And with the jacket:

nostromo_shirt_05.jpg

The base shirt came from Asda (a big UK supermarket, for those who aren't locals!) It was cream cotton, a good fit and cost £10, so I bought a size S for the base and an XL for the extras. It actually had epaulettes and chest pockets of its own but I removed those once I'd decided to go as screen accurate as I possibly could.

Then it was simply a case of adding the additional items, including the new placket to take the snap fasteners. The patches were from Merliner (thanks again, M!) and the pink piping left over from the previous project. I finally soaked the whole thing in camomile tea to just push the shade a little further off-white.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome - the only think I'm not entirely happy about is the additional chest seam, which wasn't part of the screen-used shirts. I think the pen loops and name holder obscure it fairly well, but it's there if you look for it.

A big thanks to everyone who has shared their own photos, they've been a great help - especially MacGyverSG10 whose patterns were a fantastic guide, even if I didn't follow them 100% in the end.

Thanks Charlie. The snaps are as good as I could find, though not quite exact - as others have noted, the snaps on the screen-used shirts had an unusual floral design, which has so far proved impossible to reproduce. Plain 10mm 'antique brass' finish was the type I went for in the end.

Nice costumes I'm more Aliens than Alien (goes without saying) but You've all done a great job on these :)

Jonno~ excellent work there. And kudos to getting the shirt in Officers Cream-color, as per the insignia which you added! The jacket is real nicely replicated also!

Thanks Yuri. I opted to go with the executive officer style (I thought captain was a bit presumptuous!), hence the silver wings - I prefer them in any case. And of course I don't have the front lacing on the jacket, so it's more a first-10-minutes-of-the-film Kane costume than anything else.

Trousers are next (I have the raw materials) but I suspect they'll be the most work of all, and the least screen-accurate. Does anyone have the photos of the screen-worn pair? I swear I saw some on here at some point...

Thanks Yuri. I opted to go with the executive officer style (I thought captain was a bit presumptuous!), hence the silver wings - I prefer them in any case. And of course I don't have the front lacing on the jacket, so it's more a first-10-minutes-of-the-film Kane costume than anything else.

Trousers are next (I have the raw materials) but I suspect they'll be the most work of all, and the least screen-accurate. Does anyone have the photos of the screen-worn pair? I swear I saw some on here at some point...

I believe there are some in the thread here, but I'm not sure what page. I know I have a bunch of DVD/Blu-ray captures, but they aren't that great. The best is the publicity stills that were released, if you can find them. I have some jpegs of them; I'll add them to the thread later today.

Charlie

I have these images of 2 pair that where sold several years ago.
Note that the mention of the pants being light blue was added long before the evidence of them being green came to light.

7087586025_38d3e38ef4_b.jpg

You are most welcome Jonno--real good job on the shirt and jacket! Yeah, despite its short on-screen time, I liked Kane's jacket more--mainly because the pockets aren't covered by the Dallas style gusset lacing.
Division 6-- I think that Brett's trousers ARE light blue (I have a image on a poster of the crew, with Ash and Brett standing next to one another--yeah Ash's are a bit greenish blue/seafoam, but Brett's look light blue). Thanks for the images Division 6!

Division 6 - those pics are superb, thanks! At first glance the general style is that of cargo pants, but on closer inspection the hip pockets have more in common with jeans - perhaps that's a better route to go for a base.

And are those snap fasteners on the belt loops? Interesting, I'd just assumed they were rivets from the previous glimpses I'd seen.

By the way, is there any chance those white trousers were mis-identified? That label looks like it might actually read 'JH' (John Hurt)...

I am not familiar with most clothing sizes so if someone could help me out with this it would be great. I am thinking about buying an raf mk3 jacket in a size 5. I am a teenager so I wear a 36s suit jacket and I am 5'4 1/2. Would this jacket fit me, if not, how big (or small) would it be?

Thanks for the quick reply division 6. Can anyone else confirm that a 5 would be a good size before I spend some money on something I probably won't be able to return.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back