Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

I made the whole costume (shirt, pants, and jacket) from scratch. I took apart a Dickies shirt and made a pattern from it. I made the jacket off a pattern that I bought in the early 80s. The pants I made from a modified BDU pattern. Back in the early 1980s, I made Nostromo costumes for myself and two friends. in fact, I was so determined to make those costumes that I learned how to sew. When I get back from comic con, I will try and post the pic from the 80s Nostromo project.

Phenomenal job, really. I wish I knew how to sew. Great costume. :eek

With options available to me I think I'll just be wearing my PF flyers from time to time!:lol

Sorry have not been on in a while but here are the shoes we did. I bought some replacement soles off of eBay, I got like a size 14 and trimmed and sanded them until they fit the way I wanted and then went to a shoe repair guy at the mall and had them glue it. I painted them white and they have held up rather well. With the paint starting to come off they look a little more like the movie ones, I might need to repaint them though

5178229565_3d980e90ae_z.jpg

Hey AR Dude
Were you at the Comic-con today? Saw a couple of guys in Nostromo costumes, and they looked like the real deal!! I sure wish I had the skills to make a uniform too.

Yes, I was at the Comic-con today. Thanks for the kind words. I couldn't have done it without the generous and informative contributions of the RPF community.

Last edited:
Hey AR Dude
Were you at the Comic-con today? Saw a couple of guys in Nostromo costumes, and they looked like the real deal!! I sure wish I had the skills to make a uniform too.

Hey isplice

If you were on the mezzanine on Sat. at SDCC, then you saw AR Dude and myself chatting. I was helpng with some fan tables when AR Dude stopped by.

It was good to see you again J. Next time we need to do photos.

-Mac

Made an update on my nostromo jacket. Slightly more accurate now.

(A purdy picture)

You didn't dye the one you already had did you? I liked that tan color, it was quite distinctive. But this one looks fantastic for being Nostromo-inspired. Well done! :thumbsup

"HOLLY COW!"........I've been trying to identify both of these unsung props for sometime, it has driven me nuts!.....I've scoured countless vintage pen torch sites and the only thing that came close to the Alien crew penlights was a otoscope, the device the doctor uses to check your ears! minus the top piece! these have the small on/off switch located on the pocket clip! others tend to use the push button style? is there a company logo on the penlight or a clue to it's maker?
And is that a vintage Edding 1700? (can't make out the full number) never would of thought that this german pen was the same type used in the pocket of captain Dallas? you never get a clear enough look in the movie or in publicity shots? it could have been anything from another pen light to obscure fountain pen?......how the hell did you find them?
Are these items in your collection? Kudos to you if they are?
Thanks for displaying these here! ukwookie, by the way your Outland suit over on Propsummit is incredible, Outland like Alien has stood the test of time and is one of my favourite films from my youth!
Also see your based in the north?

Kane2122...........

AR Dude,

That outfit is incredible. I especially liked the label in the jacket.

How did you make the "NOSTROMO" letters on the back of the jacket? Were those the heat transfer set offered here a while back? Or did you do something else? I'm trying to track down a set or come up with an alternative.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Thanks Ted.

The Nostromo lettering is silk screened on a piece of fabric. My back pattern piece has the N and the O cut out (like windows), so that I can register it on the silk screened fabric to make sure the word is lined up and square before I do any cutting. The color I chose was based on a post on page 2 by phase pistol who suggested some colors and fonts. I think the SA color is more of a teal blue. i just like the blue-gray color better.

Kane2122...

The pen is indeed an Edding 1700 - mine was originally a souvenir from Harrods but the logo was easily removed with some gentle rubbing with T-Cut, leaving the nice silver finish intact.

As for the pen torch... I sanded the logo off the pocket clip, but it was made by Eveready. Quite a common (and cheap) torch in the late 70s as I recall - I think I bought mine in Halfords. Interestingly there *is* a medical connection of sorts - in the late 70s I was a medical student for a time, and those of us who couldn't afford the flashy medical lights all had the same Eveready version!

Sadly it has an old battery corroded into the bottom of the case and no longer works :angry

Many years ago I was looking through some old publicity photos of Dallas from Alien and thought "hang on a minute, that looks familiar!" and sure enough, the pen torch was a match for my old medical light. By pure coincidence, the Edding pen was in the same jacket pocket... you couldn't make it up!

Of course I make no claim to know for certain that these are exactly the same props used in the film, but they both look a pretty good match to me...

I'm in Sunderland, more or less half-way between Sir Ridley's old stamping ground and the location for the beach scenes in Alien 3 (which we don't talk about, naturally :love) - whereabouts are you?

Tony

Tony it's a small world, I'm just down the road in Stockton, although I'm originally from South Shields! must be something in the water?

I remember someone once mentioned that the pocket penlight was made by Eveready, but despite trying hard I never could find any information on that model? it is definitely the same one used by Dallas and the other nostromo crew, the small white slider switch on the pocket clip gives it away!

I just think all the times I went into halfords as a kid and they were selling the penlight used in Alien? I wish I'd grabbed one or two back then?

This seems to be the philosophy Ridley and the production crew used on Alien due to the tight budget! use local easy to find items, modify and transform them into something new and original! so 30 odd years down the road people are still scratching their heads trying to locate and identify certain props and costumes!

I can well imagine the props guy popping into the local Halfords and grabbing a handle of these relatively cheap penlights, ideal dressing for the crews uniforms? same with the Casio watches, easily found and replaced at the time!

Tony talk about polar opposites! one pen from Halfords the other from Harrods, hope it didn't cost an arm and a leg?

As for this Edding 1700 that design is as hard to find as the eveready! with your picture as a guide I checked with screen grabs of dallas, and you can definitely see it's the same pen, with its unusual shaped top, and long pocket clip! something you could of easily missed before. two great vintage items to have in your collection.

Just need to positively identify the pen Dallas takes from Brett and pokes into the acid!.....I attempted to get a decent freeze frame as the smoking pen is pulled out........the vague lettering looks like........"edding" they seemed to have done the same thing you did! removing the surface paint, but you can just about make out the logo if you squint!

And your right lets not mention that particular movie that was filmed down the road from you!

Lee

Last edited:
Randy in San Diego just sent me (incredibly turn-around time) a set of arm lacings for my DALLAS NOSTROMO jacket. He did an absolutely brilliant job on them. If anyone is putting together a jacket and needs lacing for the sleeves, talk to Randy. Just wanted to add Randy's user name on the RPF is SG-RB.

AR Dude, thanks for the info on the NOSTROMO lettering on the back. Someone from another board sold me stencils so I will need to add the lettering soon.

This is an awesome thread.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Last edited:
Randy in San Diego just sent me (incredibly turn-around time) a set of arm lacings for my DALLAS NOSTROMO jacket. He did an absolutely brilliant job on them. If anyone is putting together a jacket and needs lacing for the sleeves, talk to Randy.

AR Dude, thanks for the info on the NOSTROMO lettering on the back. Someone from another board sold me stencils so I will need to add the lettering soon.

This is an awesome thread.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Oooh, may I ask how much was the lacing? It's one of the final things I need to do on my jacket :)

Jet Beetle,

I have a WTB thread in the junk yard for NOSTROMO appliques. I will post here if anything significant happens. As to the eye lace tabs for the PF Flyers, I would suggest PM'ing people in this thread and asking them. That's how I found the arm lacings for my jacket.

BrownClaw,

Please PM RPF member SG-RB about pricing. His name is Randy and I just received mine from him. The quality just blows me away and the pricing was quite reasonable. I found examples of his work in this thread. For no extra cost on the lacings, he's really a cool guy. Great communication and fast service.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back