Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

I just picked up a jacket from the UK and got some other parts from some members here, thanks to those folks who helped out with patches and stincil. I will post progress pics later, thanks for sharing all this great information guys. this is a costume project I have thought about for a long, long time.

My jacket was allready dyed navy but I think it might be a bit dark compared to the original greyish hue, any advise on what kind of dye remover to take out some of the blue?

Last edited:
So I've been reading the thread for a while and finally joined up to ask the question since my sewing skills are limited to putting buttons back on pants and I'm a graduate student in social work meaning I'll be working the rest of my life for my kids to pay off my student loans...once I have kids...is there a Nostromo crew shirt and pant set that is somewhat cheap?

How did you modify the soles??
Better late than never right? My friend Rob was responsible for that one, pretty easy actually. He bought a pair of boots with a white sole, cut the soles off and glued them to the bottom of the PF Flyers. A mod I've been wanting to get to, as it really did add an air of authenticity to the shoes.
The bunch of us at DCon
DSC05148.jpg

Last edited:
Better late than never right? My friend Rob was responsible for that one, pretty easy actually. He bought a pair of boots with a white sole, cut the soles off and glued them to the bottom of the PF Flyersair of authenticity to the shoes..

I think that's exactly what they did for the film. How's the sole holding up? I would think that after a few months it could easily come off, am I mistaken?

For some reason I don't seem to be able to find PF Flyers anywhere anymore!

Thanks for your reply, later is always better than never :thumbsup
Great group picture!

We got our Flyers via Amazon. I couldn't find them elsewhere in white. The soles held up well, I'm not sure what variety of glue he used, but there are a few good rubber adhesives out there.

Seth- How far from the shoulder seam did you place your crew patches? I mean, typical military placement has the shoulder patches located one inch down from the seam. I did that on my Parker jacket (pics later) but as I stare at screen refs for the crew shirts it seems like less than an inch, maybe a half inch? What'd you come up with?

Seth- How far from the shoulder seam did you place your crew patches?
I eyeballed placement, on the crew shirts I made they're about 5/8" down from the shoulder seam, and they're at 3/4" on my jacket. I don't know if that's dead to rights, but it looks close.

Also, I found PF flyers fit to be similar to Chucks, except they're wider than Chucks. A little more comfortable I think.

Last edited:
Jonesy, try rubber boots made for use in abattoirs, surgeries, fast food and computer clean rooms tend to have white soles and the same tread pattern, these are generally cheap moulded Pvc, simply cut the sole off! You could also try nautical suppliers they tend to sell rubber boots with white soles for use on boats, although these are considerably more expensive.

Rob is trying to track down the exact boots he used, as it was an ebay sale some time ago. Although, I think Kane has got it there, just look for some PVC white boots with a large tread.

I think everyone in the group sourced them from ebay. 3/8" d-rings. A couple of us used metal that had to be painted and a couple of us used white plastic ones. No difference in function or appearance. The only thing I found is that if you're on the skinny side the top two lace holes are too close together to add the D-rings, but your pants cover that anyway. We all used metal smash rivets to attach them to the shoes, and painted the caps white. For the fabric tabs you can make a "tape" with white fabric, or use 3/8" white elastic.

I was just looking at a pic of Ripley with her foot up on the bridge.
The top 2 holes don't have d-rings so SethB did it right.
There is also a third vent hole on the side.

Shoes4.jpg

So I've been reading the thread for a while and finally joined up to ask the question since my sewing skills are limited to putting buttons back on pants and I'm a graduate student in social work meaning I'll be working the rest of my life for my kids to pay off my student loans...once I have kids...is there a Nostromo crew shirt and pant set that is somewhat cheap?

With no sewing skills and limited funds, to answer your question, no. You can't do this suit "cheap". Then again it all depends on how accurate you want it. I suppose tou could just go with wite pants and a short sleeved white shirt tucked in with a green t-shirt underneath. You can buy all the patches (though innacurate) on-line. For the jacket you could always go "Parker style" and wear a brown bomber type jacket and stencil the Nostromo lettering on the back.

I've just put a For Sale thread up in th JY for a small Mk 3 jacket if any of you are in need of one. It really is pretty small though, probably for a lady!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back