Alcatraz from Fox, Anybody else looking forward to this ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Megamicrofish, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

2. ReproMan

ReproMan Well-Known Member

:thumbsup

3. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

Yes, I'm hoping it fills the LOST-sized hole in my heart. :lol

4. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love Sam Neill, and am looking forward to this. :)

5. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

I'm game....

6. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

It's one of those premises I wish I'd have thought of. Rootin for it!

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

first i have heard of it. looks like it will be a cool show.

8. dblv25

dblv25 New Member

Agreed, looks good to me

9. BIKERFETT

BIKERFETT Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nobody posted yet? Well I though it was a pretty good start, I am excited to see what they do with the mythos of the story. What did everyone else think?

10. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Alcatraz reminded me the concept of the upcoming movie Looper, except in the movie they are from the future.

I fairly enjoyed it but I feel it will be a hitman of the week storyline. Slow and layered revealing of the secret will take place until the season finale.

11. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm in even if JJ has something to do with it...:lol

12. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

Unlike "Person of Interest", I not sure it's going to remain a procedural. I think the twist at the end, as well as several other factors, will play into a larger story being revealed. Without spoiling too much, I think it's got more potential than "Person of Interest".

Having said that... the acting in "Alcatraz" was just horrible. The female lead was terrible, Hurly was Hurly, and even Sam Neil was weak. Hopefully they'll improve, but "Person of Interested" is better acted and has better written (from a character standpoint).

13. idahorandom

idahorandom Member

I am giving it a chance, only watched first hour so far and I am interested. Funny thing, I recently posted about the South African SCIFI TV show called "Charlie Jade", and the main actor from that series was the Alcatraz prisoner that came back in the cell in the first hour.. :confused

Anyways, seems like some "LOST" elements and big secrets coming our way.

14. cboath

cboath Master Member

My thoughts exactly.

Though, i'm fine with Hurly being Hurly :) I kept waiting for him to say 'Dude' :)

I thought Neil was OK. I was just thrown the whole time by his american accent. Shoulda let him use his normal one. He could have emigrated in the early 60's and landed that as a job - no problem storywise.

15. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I caught the premiere of this the other night. It did have a great Lost feel to it(even the music is done by the same composer), but the whole cop thing drew me out of it. Seemed like I was watching an episode of Law and Order or something, but the few moments that were good were really good.

16. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I just caught the 2 hour premier and first episode this weekend. I was hesitant about the show as I didn't like the ending of Lost at all. I don't want to be hooked on a show just to see what the secret is. But Alcatraz is pretty good. I like all of the main characters. The mystery should be interesting. As a bonus, the detective drives Bullitt's mustang. I know JJ Abrams won't be able to resist having a good chase scene. So, cute, tough blonde girl with attractive short hairstyle and a muscle car = I'm watching for the full season.

17. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

I dropped off after the pilot, too many holes in the plot and everything seems to be falling together way too fast. I might revisit it later on....

18. Chevyh0tr0d

Chevyh0tr0d Well-Known Member

She is even tougher in Season 2 of Sons of Anarchy, nice to see she can go from playing a evil character with a heart of black, to such a heroic character and still keep her kick * *!!!

19. cboath

cboath Master Member

Interesting turns tonight, don't you think?

20. bigcow

bigcow Well-Known Member

What is the key is going to open! Do you have pic of this key anyone!

21. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think I need to make a few keys. :cool

22. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

I am enjoying the show. And I agree, Sam Neil is great.

So, does anyone have any theories about what's going on?

23. Wolfie138

Wolfie138 Well-Known Member

did nowt for me, will give it the benefit due to having the Antichrist in it tho.

still not forgiven JJ for that utter sht about Lost. "no, no, they're not all dead..."

24. cboath

cboath Master Member

Seems like they're taking an approach of answering questions sooner that they did on lost, but still adding new questions all the time.

They're wondering how the inmates vanished...ok fine. However, the 1960's doctor and the girl in coma in present day were both at their same age in 1963 and 2012. What aren't they asking THEM for answers?

The keys existed in 1960, but were laser cut and that wasn't invented at that time.

Sam Neil's character knows more than he's telling the other two, but apparently not much. They're trying to find out what the keys are for. Are they for more than the freaky room the warden showed us last night? We know they open at least one thing on the island. Are there more things? On the island? in the city?

Still, though, why aren't seeing them work over the 2 people on their side that obviously disappeared as well? They're all chummy with them. Seems like they're complicit to some degree in what happened.

I figure we're destined for an episode or number of episodes where the 2012 people get transported to the island in 63...

25. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I think that one of the best parts of Lost was learning the backgrounds of the main characters, and that they were likeable characters for the most part. Its hard to get attached to any of the characters of Alcatraz when they're mostly murderers and its someone new every week. It is nice to see the stories taking place back then regardless. I understand that it is its own show, but it isn't really setting itself that far apart from the typical crime show on television these days. Still, it is a good show on Monday lol :love

26. cboath

cboath Master Member

I don't think any of the inmates are main characters - other than her grandfather possibly. Kind of like the others in lost. The others themselves weren't main characters. Just Mr Friendly for a short time, and ben, Juliet, and richard.

From the bit of the story we've got so far, the inmates are a means to an end. They're coming back from 'wherever' with a mission which seems to be to acquire a key(s)...

27. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

Not a clue. I just hope they don't go too far with the secrets. Lost was like that and the resolution was weak to say the least. I like Fringe but they keep adding twists and right now, Peter is the only true character from the original show timeline.

Anyway, I think the Indian doctor in Alcatraz might be attempting to fix whatever mistakes she made in the past. But what about the smoking doctor?

28. cboath

cboath Master Member

We don't have enough info (i don't think) to know what's going on.

There's something mysterious under the island - or at least there was.

The keys, at least a couple of them, allow to gain access to that part of the island.

Prisoner's and staff disappeared in 63.

A couple staff members returned prior to the first episode at their 1963 age. The prison dr and the shrink dr who was Sam Neill's characters partner before getting put in a coma.

Prisoners are now reappearing one by one (or so it seems). They revert back to their old ways (killing, etc), but have been give a job to get one of these keys.

A prisoner reappeared prior to the first episode who happens to be the main characters grandfather. He seems to be important, but we don't know why really.

That's where we're at now.

Anyone got more?

29. Chevyh0tr0d

Chevyh0tr0d Well-Known Member

I am really liking this show and will continue watching.

30. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

I hope they get better when it comes to acting, but you know that always happen when a group of actors start working together; for some reason, People! we have another "amazing" series a good replacement for "Lost"....Can't wait to see the next episode....

31. Rylo

Losing my patience with this show...it's time for them to give a little something up. The creepy guy of the week formula is getting old, fast.

No ****ing way I'm watching this show for years so they can pull a lost ending on me. :angry

-Rylo

32. cboath

cboath Master Member

At this point in lost there were a lot more 'WTH is going on' moments. This, there've been just a couple.

I'm not losing patience, but they DO need more on the mystery aspect. I'm guessing the season finale' will have someone like the warden reappear. But, buy then, it could be too late.

33. Rylo

Yeah, they need to give a little something up...all they've done is show Sam putting people in his Ikea jail with a funky heartbeat sound. That is, if he doesn't shoot them first. Give me somethin' to keep watching. It's just a cop show, otherwise.

34. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It has all the right ingredients but nothing great is coming out of the kitchen yet. I have a fun time watching it every week but I'm not even invested enough to lose patience. It's just a silly show. Sam Neill is milking one, maybe two looks for his paycheck. I wish they had just filmed it in San Francisco...there's just too much Vancouver to make it believable as the Bay Area. I like it but I don't think it's going to be around for very long.

35. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I like the show. I wonder who on the show knows what. The doctors?

I read they are going to film a reenactment of the chase scene from Bullit in San Fransico, but using a modern Mustang, instead of the '68 in the show.

36. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

37. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm looking forward to that. A couple friends worked that shoot. I used to live on the Bullit chase street!

38. cboath

cboath Master Member

Well, we have 'the keys' which open the door that had the green light coming out of it that awed those who saw inside it.

The mystery of people coming back from '63 un-aged

Why those people, at least initially, were after the keys

There's more to Sam Neil's character than we know

Who's the crew behind the locked door on the island?

There ARE mysteries out there, but they haven't been touched on since the first shows.

39. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I agree completely. My wife and I were avid watchers, but it's been a rehashing of the same "creepy guy" every week. We've let this one go. :unsure

40. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I knew it! If only Ford would make a Mustang as cool as the original Bullitt Mustang. It's amazing how a vintage car is still far better than the modern version.

The show is still good but they need to start solving some of these mysteries.

41. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

Im still liking the show but Sam Neill's CSI Miami's Horatio act and one liners really gets on my nerves

42. John Barnett

John Barnett New Member

I like the show. It's very surprising that FOX has not tried to push the scuttle button on this one. Oddly enough, for me the most interesting character on the show is the one in a coma. Maybe it's just because she's so gorgeous.

One pet peeve- the Warden sounds really scripted. Most of his dialogue verges on purple prose.

If Doc finally lands a date with the hot medical examiner, I sure hope she doesn't run off to get blankets.

The season finale will be the big test for this one, IMHO. The preview made it sound like all will be revealed, but we'll see.

43. .:MirrorminD:.

I agree about the season finale, it looks like they might take the Terra Nova approach with a big reveal/try to tie up some loose ends in case it doesnt get renewed.

44. Wolfie138

Wolfie138 Well-Known Member

second episode, and i'm about ready to drop it. i've loved Sam Neill's work for decades, literally, but the writing went from decent on the pilot to plain stupid : the magickal ability of a sniper who can nail crows at 500m to not being able to kill a human across the street. Well - yes, i'm ASSUMING she's human : if she's not i'd think the hospital would discover that, but if she IS human then getting a rifle bullet through centre mass and living is beyond stupid.

i'll try a couple more episodes. as for Bullitt, i must be the only guy in the world who thinks that was one of the most overhyped chases ever.

45. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I can't believe next week's two episodes are the season finale. This is a really short season. They need to solve something in the two episodes. If the secret isn't really good I think the show should be cancelled. I don't like these shows that solve something at the last episode only to tease something for another season.

46. cboath

cboath Master Member

Seems shorter because next weeks 2 episode finale' is the 3rd double episode night of it's run. It premiered in January with a double, then due to a stupid nascar delay there was one to start off march (i think), then next weeks. That's 6 episodes right there. I think, like Terra Nova, they got a 12-13 episode order for year 1 and that was it.

47. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

This is exactly why shows die so early now.

They never show them regularly anymore.

We used to get 26 episodes of a show. IN A ROW.

The only preempting that went on was The Wizard of Oz, The President or the Grinch.

For a show to be popular YOU HAVE TO SHOW IT.

Not 4 episodes then wait six months. I am SO sick of that.

48. .:MirrorminD:.

I remember for Lost's last season the President moved his state of the union address so it wouldnt interfere with Lost lol

49. Ghadrack

Ghadrack Sr Member

Quoted for the %&^ ^#&^ truth. Thank you!

I am mystified that that haven't been able to put 2 and 2 together and see that when they do these, often unexplained and unadvertised breaks, they lose viewers.

This season of Fringe has had me on the verge of rage for weeks. No explanation, just a random three week break in episodes to show reruns of kitchen nightmares? And they wonder why they can't keep an audience tuned in?

50. cboath

cboath Master Member

Well, Alcatraz doesn't fit that really.

The were supposed to run 11 straight weeks.

As it turns out they'll have run 6 straight, bumped one week for nascar, then ran 4 straight. They just tossed 3 double headers in the mix. You didn't miss weeks here and there.

Don't forget in those old days, it wasn't 26 straight unless you're heading back to the 70's. They always stopped early december til mid january more or less. Even when they cut back to 24 weeks, march has usually been a dry spell as well. Surpring how much new stuff has been on in march this year. But there's lots more finale's in march and april from what i've seen. Odd.