Advice For 3d Modeling First-Timer?

Hawke

I'm looking to create a 3D model of Superman's spaceship from Lois and Clark in order to create a full-scale version in pepakura. Seems like the best way to go for me, but I have never done any 3D modeling before and have no idea where to start.

Does anyone have advice for a first timer? What software to work with, do's and don'ts? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few images of the ship I'm trying to create.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 402sy.jpg
    402sy.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 406
  • HIWTHI287.jpg
    HIWTHI287.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 354
Thanks for the tip! Just looking at it now and it looks intimidating but also exactly what I'm looking for. Have you used blender models in pepakura?

Yes, I have. I never finished this, but I assembled part of the helmet, so I know it works fine.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=232838

There's lots of blender tutorials on youtube. Once you get the basics down it's not too bad. I can also try to answer any questions you have.

Yes, I have. I never finished this, but I assembled part of the helmet, so I know it works fine.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=232838

There's lots of blender tutorials on youtube. Once you get the basics down it's not too bad. I can also try to answer any questions you have.

Wow, that helmet looks awesome! Now I'm really looking forward to getting started seeing what you can do in it. Thanks very much for the help!

I use Solidworks 2015, I have played with a few free pieces of software and have found that Autodesk 123D Design, while limiting in what you can do is easier to use and more intuitive when you jump in than other free pieces of software. Its more similar to the industrial design oriented software packages (Solidworks,Inventor, etc) than the sculpting and animation packages (Maya, zBrush, etc). While it may not provide as many tools as other freeware it should be easier to start with and get used to before jumping into a deeper design environment. Blender for example, while providing more tools may be overwhelming to people not used to these types of packages, and could cause some confusion as it will also contain features outside the scope of what you may want and could get confusing (i.e. animation and rendering tools).

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I was looking at Blendr initially, but now I have more than enough to try out and see what works best. Much appreciated everyone! I'll post when I have something to show!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back