Adam West Cowl... any, How to sites?

Sixxgunn13

Sr Member
I'm looking to make my own Adam West style Batcowl.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a site or has plans to make one.

TIA:thumbsup

I saw this site awhile back, he might be able to help you out.
http://www.wallyontheweb.com/archive/batcowl/brochure.htm

Hi,

Wally doesn't make cowls anymore but I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Basically the original is a thin fiberglass shell covered in a very scarce stretch satin. The fabric was custom dyed.
The company that made the original fabric went out of business a few years back.
I bought a bolt just before they went under.

There are no patterns currently available but with some patience and a good seamstress it can certainly be replicated.

Very poor castings of the shell show up on Ebay periodically but be prepared to do a lot of sculpting. They are trimmed at least a 1/2" short in the face and shrunken overall in size a large percentage.

My wife and I have been making cowls for a few years now.
I have a first generation pull from an original shell and I'm currently working with the owner of an original costume to produce complete costume patterns of both Batman and Robin.

We are pleased to have Wally (from the posted link) and Adam West as some of the collectors of our cowls.

Excellent threads on the cowl and costumes in general can be found on the '66 Batman Messageboard. I'm sorry I don't know how to post the link. I'm an old guy!

If you have any questions ,feel free to contact me!

Chuck Williams
batmansays.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys, I hope to get one done by the summer. of course thats if i can find the right materials.

clayslinger..
Is there a alternative to the material your talking about?

thx again!!

I've attempted to make a cowl at least on 5 sperate occasions. I gotta tell you, unless you KNOW what you're doing and even have someone with you for support that has made them before, it's really, really tough. These things are very labor intensive and have to be done just right. I think dropping the cash on one that was already made was the best decision I could make. If you decide to try this on your own, best of luck. :unsure

66Batman.com is a really good forum for information. A specific thread you should check out is this one, specifically post #66. While it doesn't have a complete walkthrough, it can definitely give you some ideas, and there is a host of other info on the forums.

I've attempted to make a cowl at least on 5 sperate occasions. I gotta tell you, unless you KNOW what you're doing and even have someone with you for support that has made them before, it's really, really tough. These things are very labor intensive and have to be done just right. I think dropping the cash on one that was already made was the best decision I could make. If you decide to try this on your own, best of luck. :unsure

I couldn't agree more!

They are deceptively simple looking.

In the post on the '66 board craft section "Batcowl Info please", you can see a couple of other members starting from scratch and get a good idea of the cash needed to make one from beginning to end not counting the time involved.

The best fabric to use in the place of the original is a high quality heavy satin moleskin spandex. It's pretty much what replaced it in the market place.
The biggest difference between the two is that the original fabric was woven and the newer fabrics are knitted. The woven texture is what gives the original that smooth satin look rather than the "sparkle" look of modern spandex satins.
On my last trip to NY, I saw some fabrics that are suited to the task. They are getting much smoother and tighter knits recently.

The original fabric was used in the satin panels of ladies girdles back in the day!:lol

Chuck...

Kinda OT but Wayne, who passed on used to make these.

Every time I see a post on the Cowls I think of him.

We miss you Bro! :(

Kinda OT but Wayne, who passed on used to make these.

Every time I see a post on the Cowls I think of him.

We miss you Bro! :(

Actually, I was working with Wayne on these. He started the project but he never finished one. Again, it was REALLY time consuming.

Just curious, Clayslinger, you said the original was a fiberglass shell covered in fabric... was it a full head shell or just the front of the face?

Just curious, Clayslinger, you said the original was a fiberglass shell covered in fabric... was it a full head shell or just the front of the face?
The whole head.
There are cutouts over the ears so you end up with a sort of Roman helmet shell with "sideburns" .

All the best on your quest!
Chuck...

I would like to try a foamie/fabric combo build. I need to make my own pattern. can't find any pepakura files for this cowl at all. or anything pep for that show for that matter LOL

Hi,
We sell fabric patterns of the major pieces of the costume at www.williamsstudio2.com but nothing to download.
My wife and I examined a pair of screen used costumes and my wife who is a trained pattern maker and costume fabricator drafted patterns based on what we saw.
Hope this helps!

Here is a GIF a friend made of one our cowls and bust sculptures and a photo of Adam West from the show.
Chuck...
WILLIAMSCowlsmallGIF.gif

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back