Adam Savage’s Tested: Hero Phoebe Proton Pack reference

DazzlerFan

Sr Member
I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet.

Adam Savage’s latest Tested video is him making a Proton Pack in the style of the Afterlife packs.

In addition, Tested has posted references of Phoebe’s Hero proton pack. Some fantastic reference. It can be seen here: Ghostbusters: Afterlife Proton Pack Prop Photos - Tested

Thanks to Adam and Tested for an awesome video (as always) and even more so for the reference pics!

Now we have the "Savage Proton Pack" variant

IMG_8183.jpg

I wish Adam would have went into more detail on his rust technique. I could have watched hours on that and distressing technques all day. Anyone have any insight?

Does he have weathering videos? I was always going to look and forget. It would be neat to see him and any other ILM guys do a tips and techniques video. Weathering is my Kryptonite. I'm always afraid I'm going to ruin my model.

I'm ecstatic that the studio was so awesome about this. Kudos to Sony. I'm glad you are enjoying the photos.
In person ALL of the GB:A props are so lovingly built and absolutely gorgeous. The prop teams in LA and Canada were all such dedicated geniuses. I know a few of them are on this forum: my hat is off to all of you! Also! I was commissioned to build a very (very) small hero prop for the film. Can't tell you what it is yet, but I saw the film last weekend and it made the cut! (I LOVED the movie btw)

That card is a ruler and color reference card in my wallet that a fan gave to me a while back. The small squares are 5mm, the large squares are .5". I keep it for situations just like this. I don't know where to get one, I'm sorry.

I'm ecstatic that the studio was so awesome about this. Kudos to Sony. I'm glad you are enjoying the photos.
In person ALL of the GB:A props are so lovingly built and absolutely gorgeous. The prop teams in LA and Canada were all such dedicated geniuses. I know a few of them are on this forum: my hat is off to all of you! Also! I was commissioned to build a very (very) small hero prop for the film. Can't tell you what it is yet, but I saw the film last weekend and it made the cut! (I LOVED the movie btw)

That card is a ruler and color reference card in my wallet that a fan gave to me a while back. The small squares are 5mm, the large squares are .5". I keep it for situations just like this. I don't know where to get one, I'm sorry.
Truly loved this video, and the one looking at the house set. Especially loved the driving the Ecto video, since prop vehicles are my main jam. Thank you so much for all the amazing content from Tested, and all the way back to Mythbusters and your many contributions to films and TV!

Thanks for the response on the card I appreciate it. Can you by chance tell me what was that “rust bag” technique you did in that video?
Chris

I wish Adam would have went into more detail on his rust technique. I could have watched hours on that and distressing technques all day. Anyone have any insight?

For rust on my previous proton packs, I’d use stick glue, orange and brown enamel paint, thinner and reddish/orange craft sand.

Basically, paint the crevices with orange and brown enamel paint. Then brush in thinner until the paint mixes and runs. When that’s dry, use a glue stick over that area, shake on the craft sand and brush away to your preference.

This was a great video. I really admire all the work that goes into every proton pack build, they are intense props.
Search for photographic reference scale. There are literally hundreds of possibilities in a quick search. They are used in archaeology, forensics, and photogrammetry, among other things.

Looks like the album page on the website with all the photos is not available. There's only a handful of images available on Imgur.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back