Adam interviews Lorne Peterson

I am always amazed when I hear the story about how they initially were building the miniatures for Star Wars using 5-minute epoxy…with the monumental “greeblie work” they were doing on every miniature, I can only imagine what a game changer it was to suddenly be introduced to super glue.

IMG_2604.jpeg

I am always amazed when I hear the story about how they initially were building the miniatures for Star Wars using 5-minute epoxy…with the monumental “greeblie work” they were doing on every miniature, I can only imagine what a game changer it was to suddenly be introduced to super glue.

View attachment 1773812
Yes - that's when "Crazy Glue" came out- I can clearly remember the guy who glued himself (well his hardhat) to the undersurface of that I-beam and was hanging to it! They surely must have held parts in place with some masking tape no? Great interview and Lorne seems so happy to talk about his monumental contribution to Star Wars history!

For smaller bits two sided tape might work, or a line of guys passing by some epoxy pre-poured in a bucket brigade if the superglue runs out :)

One of the things I would have loved to ask him would be what greebles he preferred.

I have always wanted a flatter layered look on some things.

Oh to have Bezos money.

What I would love to do is to buy a great many kits and for me to try to use kit parts he and Adam hate and vice versa.

Another project—-do nothing but lay out my choice of greebles on the floor, and have experts build a hull worthy of them to go underneath…flipping the usual process.

Another video of Adam’s was of his Star Destroyer mold that he was to produce for Galoob…the action fleet…I think—Jazzwares—you listening?

This?

The triangular Mon Cal ship was probably an easier fit for that kind of thing.

Adam had his best Y-wing mold scanned in another recent video where the mold was filled virtually.

Part of me wonders if the mold needs be scanned with a substance of a different density actually filling the hollow cavity to fill it out…to prevent sagging.

If the mold has sagged…well, ice expands instead of contracting…

Last edited:
Not only Adam learned so much from other great artists and craftsmen at ILM, but I've learned a lot from Adam's videos along the years also.
Sharing great knowledge has no price:cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy::love::love:
I remember, about 20 years ago, it seemed like on the RPF there were quite a few members that would only share their knowledge or techniques with certain people. That seems to have abated. We all benefit from each other’s experience.

Didn’t Adam have a quote about that? Something along the lines of your technique does not make you interesting?

I remember, about 20 years ago, it seemed like on the RPF there were quite a few members that would only share their knowledge or techniques with certain people. That seems to have abated. We all benefit from each other’s experience.

Didn’t Adam have a quote about that? Something along the lines of your technique does not make you interesting?
He calls it 'gate-keeping', when knowledge should be shared.

People who are good at a few niche things, they usually do the gate-keeping.

The real crazy-talented people? They exchange info all the time. Being "the guru" of something is not the fun part for them. They would rather be bouncing ideas off fellow collaborators any day. That's partially how they got so good.

Last edited:
Love listening to anything with Ben Burtt. Really nice guy.
Here at the Star Wars Celebration V in 2010 with my original roommate, and of course myself wearing my own made death star shirt....lol.
I was actually making a birthday video for my Dad at the time, and went ahead, (and was quite nervous about it) and asked he he would wish my Dad a happy birthday. I had told him about my love of sound effects and driving my parents up the wall from mixing sounds back in 1996 on our first computer. That was before even getting into any type of filming and editing video.
So he totally did it and made it really cool.
Such great memories.

104.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back