Act Of Valor

Saw it yesterday. Pretty good. I was surprised it was number 1 at the box office. I was expecting a small crowd but the theater was pretty much full.

My favorite part was also when the boats came in hot. You knew it was coming and it was awesome when it happened.

Loved the hot boats. Miniguns are scary cool.

Liked the movie. Obviously, you're not gonna see this for the acting but I think the SEALs did a good job. Can't argue about the authenticity of the gear as I'm sure it'd have to be bang on. Liked how some parts were like a first-person shooter. I'd give it a good 3.5 outta 5.

The movie would've been a lot better if they just didn't have any dialogue or plot points :)

Some of the footage from the movie reminded me of a SEAL CQB training video in a killhouse, I have to admit it made me a little giddy. Best part of the movie by far was the boat ambush, chain gun action FTW :thumbsup As far as I can tell, all the gear they used looked accurate.

I think the only part that was a bit suspect (and I may be over-analyzing this) is when they used regular laser sights in the night raid scene towards the end of the movie. I would think in night conditions, these guys will elect to use IR laser sights so only those with NV can see them, but maybe that was a Hollywood decision to make the laser sights more dramatic, who knows.

Again I've never been in the service and I haven't been a spec ops buff for a really long time so maybe I'm just outdated on my observations.

I felt the acting element in the film was a fascinating lesson in the fine art of acting.

How many times have you watched a film and felt "I could do that...!" or watched a sports figure in a sit-com, with god-awful acting skills, and mused to yourself, "Well, how hard can it really be?"

These SEALs did - really - a pretty OK job, all things considered. Yet, their performances were still flat, lacked the nuances of professional actors, and came across a bit stale, or cardboard.

Yes - I too was longing for a more entertaining, professional actor.

So, it gives a greater degree of appreciation for the pro actors out there.

It allows you to realize (or remember) that in film production, mulitple takes are shot with mulitple deliveries, and hundreds of editing decisions are incorporated, all in the name of attaining the best, most entertaining scenes. Reminds you that writers, directors, and actors work hard to ensure that every line of dialogue is both written and delivered for maximum entertainment value. Its truly a craft.

Age-old addage of military films - Is it easier to train actors to be military personnel, or to train the military to be actors?

Last edited:
I thought that SEALs were not supposed to be filmed with their faces visible for operational security reasons. That if they could be identified then there were concerns their families could be targeted? I know they didn't list their names in the credits, but still, from what I've heard this violates some rules.

I thought that SEALs were not supposed to be filmed with their faces visible for operational security reasons. That if they could be identified then there were concerns their families could be targeted? I know they didn't list their names in the credits, but still, from what I've heard this violates some rules.

Pretty sure these are ex-SEALs.. or it's their stories and it actually being "them" is a crock

They are active duty SEALs but their full names are never disclosed in the credits so that maintains an acceptable level of confidentiality for their personal safety.

Spec ops personnel have been filmed/photographed with their faces exposed in documentaries and in the news, though this is the first time in a feature film.

Nothing in this film would of been done without the ok of the DoD. Thats from the active seals participation down to their individual stories used for parts of the plot & the tech used. Too me seemed like the film was made purely for recruitment & propaganda purposes.

They could be "active duty" SEALs but have their primary duty be as trainers.

I really, really enjoyed the movie and thought they did a pretty damned good job for not being actual actors.

They could be "active duty" SEALs but have their primary duty be as trainers.

That would make a heck of a lot more sense. They're probably instructors, which would allow them to be shown. I heard it took 'em 2 years to film this flick.

It is what it is and that is a recruiting tool.

Under new guidlines for the military, ie specifically the Navy, an additional 500 to 1000 S.E.A.L's are needed.

With an attrition rate in BUDS of around 80 % the Navy needs LOTS of volunteers to hit that number

Well the film did originally start out as a recruiting promo video ;)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back