Accurate Captain Barbossa Hat Maker Recommendations

Foolishmortal42

I am putting together a Captain Barbossa costume and am looking for a hat maker to make his hat form the first movie The Curse of the Black Pearl. There are several makers on Etsy and online. I wondered if anyone had any recos. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 391BDEC1-1932-4472-A954-FAED022593C0.jpeg
    391BDEC1-1932-4472-A954-FAED022593C0.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 1,820
  • 8D8530AB-62BC-4898-835E-A6FDC95DC015.jpeg
    8D8530AB-62BC-4898-835E-A6FDC95DC015.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 839
I know this is very late, but...

I used ebay seller smilingfox1 from Fremont, OH. Great quality, reasonable price and (most importantly) large enough. If you look at pics of Rush in costume the hat is nearly shoulder to shoulder. You can sometimes find 1970's vintage womens hats on etsy that are very wide brimmed.

Jim

ps: The striped feather(s) in Hectors hat are golden pheasant !!

I have also done some extensive research on Barbossa's costume and accessories. I have screen correct belt with buckle, baldric (sword belt), coat and vest buttons, and tooth earring. I have a sword that is accurate and comes with a scabbard (not screen correct, but public appearance neccessary). I altered the mass produced necklace to be more accurate, as well as the eBay earring (just to get it close).

* The sword is the French Valmy Cavalier sword (ah3249). If you can find it, it's WAY cheaper than the "official" one.
* All boots on screen were made by Caboots but theirs are like $450, cheap substitute is Ellie 121-Sparrow @ less than $60.
* Baldric is from ebay seller fahadsarwani "PipeMajors / Drum Majors Cross Belt White Leather With Golden Buckle" ask for silver buckle and black belt. A correct belt is surface dyed not vat dyed (soaked) so it is tan on the back (hard to get).
* Barbossa's belt at the very beginning of COTBP was different. Plain black leather with a three pointed brass buckle.
* The waist belt for the rest of the movie is total custom 2 3/4" wide black leather (get as longest belt blank you can find - you can cut shorter) punch lots (I mean LOTS) of holes and start lacing (took about four days while watching TV). I'll give specifics if you ask.
* Belt buckle is a vintage european piece. Ebay seller I got my buckle from isn't selling anymore. His was copied from a screen worn buckle. I may do the same, but scan for 3d printing.
* Coat and waistcoat (vest) buttons are available on Etsy in metal, eBay "Barbossa" coat buttons are resin.
* I made my hat band from thin leather and hand cut the buckle from hammered brass. If I did it again I'd use hammered-look plastic backsplash.
* The pistol is a very modified English Heavy Dragoon flintlock (forget that internet garbage about Spanish Milquet). The hero weapon was originally used by DAWG in Cutthroat Island movie. Resin copies were used for stunt and non-close-up work.

More for the asking....

Jim

ps: Coat and vest fabrics ARE NOT custom made they are just out of production. Coat fabric can still be found, but it's getting scarce. It's actually a very lightweight fabric over a heavier inner (backwards of the way most coats are made).

Last edited:
thx1138a, you mentioned the coat fabric can still be found. Might you know where please?

I have also done some extensive research on Barbossa's costume and accessories. I have screen correct belt with buckle, baldric (sword belt), coat and vest buttons, and tooth earring. I have a sword that is accurate and comes with a scabbard (not screen correct, but public appearance neccessary). I altered the mass produced necklace to be more accurate, as well as the eBay earring (just to get it close).

* The sword is the French Valmy Cavalier sword (ah3249). If you can find it, it's WAY cheaper than the "official" one.
* All boots on screen were made by Caboots but theirs are like $450, cheap substitute is Ellie 121-Sparrow @ less than $60.
* Baldric is from ebay seller fahadsarwani "PipeMajors / Drum Majors Cross Belt White Leather With Golden Buckle" ask for silver buckle and black belt. A correct belt is surface dyed not vat dyed (soaked) so it is tan on the back (hard to get).
* Barbossa's belt at the very beginning of COTBP was different. Plain black leather with a three pointed brass buckle.
* The waist belt for the rest of the movie is total custom 2 3/4" wide black leather (get as longest belt blank you can find - you can cut shorter) punch lots (I mean LOTS) of holes and start lacing (took about four days while watching TV). I'll give specifics if you ask.
* Belt buckle is a vintage european piece. Ebay seller I got my buckle from isn't selling anymore. His was copied from a screen worn buckle. I may do the same, but scan for 3d printing.
* Coat and waistcoat (vest) buttons are available on Etsy in metal, eBay "Barbossa" coat buttons are resin.
* I made my hat band from thin leather and hand cut the buckle from hammered brass. If I did it again I'd use hammered-look plastic backsplash.
* The pistol is a very modified English Heavy Dragoon flintlock (forget that internet garbage about Spanish Milquet). The hero weapon was originally used by DAWG in Cutthroat Island movie. Resin copies were used for stunt and non-close-up work.

More for the asking....

Jim

ps: Coat and vest fabrics ARE NOT custom made they are just out of production. Coat fabric can still be found, but it's getting scarce. It's actually a very lightweight fabric over a heavier inner (backwards of the way most coats are made).
Jim,

Thanks for your post. It is very helpful. I have a few question.

1. I have not been able to find the vest buttons on Etsy or anywhere else. Do you have a specific maker or store on Etsy that sells them?

2. Can you tell me the name of the coat fabric and any suggestions on where to get it. I have been looking for over a year. I have even experimented with custom weaving some fabric to look similar but have not been happy with the results.

3. As FYI, I found an Etsy seller that sells the coat buttons in metal. I have ordered them and they are good quality. Metal buttons antique silver colored 28 cm 11 inch | Etsy

4. For the ear ring, I have made the tooth. I have not found a good replica for the silver hoop that connects to the tooth. Any recos on that?

5. Do you have pics of your costume. I would love to see it.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back