A detail about Alien... Has anyone else noticed this?

Hell with all the flamethrower stuff, how the hell did Lambert lose her pants while being xeno'd??

Was there some compelling reason to go after it anyways?
Lock all the airlocks, go to sleep. Didn't seem like it was going to do any harm just hanging out.
And I understand there was some talk about the adult big chap having a very short lifespan anyways
like some insects.

Hell with all the flamethrower stuff, how the hell did Lambert lose her pants while being xeno'd??

The original idea of Alien rape was shelved before filming the scene.

Actually, from what Veronica Cartwright said in the audio commentary, the scene was filmed with Lambert not being raped, but was intended for Lambert to be found by Ripley in the same locker that Jones was found in earlier in the film. She was to have died of fright. In fact, she said she didn't know of the change in the scene until she saw it at the premiere. And, of course, a well-known trivia fact states that the shot of the Alien's tail wrapping around Lambert's leg actually is Brett's leg from his death scene earlier in the film (you can notice the insert because Lambert wears Cowboy boots throughout the entire film, and the insert shot of the Alien's tail shows someone wearing a pair of white, low cut Chuck Taylors, which is what Brett is seen wearing in the same shoes.

Actually, from what Veronica Cartwright said in the audio commentary, the scene was filmed with Lambert not being raped, but was intended for Lambert to be found by Ripley in the same locker that Jones was found in earlier in the film. She was to have died of fright. In fact, she said she didn't know of the change in the scene until she saw it at the premiere. And, of course, a well-known trivia fact states that the shot of the Alien's tail wrapping around Lambert's leg actually is Brett's leg from his death scene earlier in the film (you can notice the insert because Lambert wears Cowboy boots throughout the entire film, and the insert shot of the Alien's tail shows someone wearing a pair of white, low cut Chuck Taylors, which is what Brett is seen wearing in the same shoes.

And one should not doubt Veronica Carwright's memory. Of the three that were in that one booth (Veronica, Skerrit and Stanton), she was the driving force of the whole session. One nice revelation I learned was how she noticed the redo footage of Ash's decapitated head. She thought they were just going to reshoot Ash's head because Ridley didn't like the purple looking marbles/grapes, but also ended up completely changing Ash's dialogue. It was originally going to involve Ash accusing the crew of not even attempting to contact or reason with the alien (which Harry Dean Stanton complains about because that could have probably saved his character's life). Photo's of the original setup survive in photographs. In fact, if you watch the scene carefully, you'll notice that even though they reshot Ash's head, they didn't reshoot the footage with the crew. Whenever it shows Ripley and company, Ash's head is standing straight up and is the only part of him visible, where as the reshot footage has him on the same level as his corpse and his head is tilted.

And one should not doubt Veronica Carwright's memory. Of the three that were in that one booth (Veronica, Skerrit and Stanton), she was the driving force of the whole session. One nice revelation I learned was how she noticed the redo footage of Ash's decapitated head. She thought they were just going to reshoot Ash's head because Ridley didn't like the purple looking marbles/grapes, but also ended up completely changing Ash's dialogue. It was originally going to involve Ash accusing the crew of not even attempting to contact or reason with the alien (which Harry Dean Stanton complains about because that could have probably saved his character's life). Photo's of the original setup survive in photographs. In fact, if you watch the scene carefully, you'll notice that even though they reshot Ash's head, they didn't reshoot the footage with the crew. Whenever it shows Ripley and company, Ash's head is standing straight up and is the only part of him visible, where as the reshot footage has him on the same level as his corpse and his head is tilted.

I never noticed that difference between shots. I guess I get distracted by the inflated catheters used for some of the inside of Ash's insides. J/K. Seriously, I didn't notice the head tilt between shots. Just like my Dad I am. My Dad didn't notice two of the Marines in Aliens until recently in scenes before the Marines headed to LV-426 (it turned out he noticed Crowe and Wierzbowski during the briefing scene in the hanger, which he hadn't noticed before).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look, just saying... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 83
Weaver looks terrified, from what I've heard she really hated that thing.

From the commentary, she was opposed to using guns at the time she made Aliens. It was until Cameron took her out into the backlot of the studio and allowed her to try out the Thompson. Cameron said as soon as she emptied the clip, she turned to him with a smile and said, "That was fun." :)

What I'd have loved to have seen is the 'wet shot' from the USCM flamethrower in the second movie.
Turn off the burner, douse the alien in the napalm fuel and then set alight.

What we see is the fire being used to deter the queen from advancing, but the queen is never set alight which I think is what would do the trick.

Never thought about the 'theory' not being proven until the second movie...but it could have gone a little further.

What I'd have loved to have seen is the 'wet shot' from the USCM flamethrower in the second movie.
Turn off the burner, douse the alien in the napalm fuel and then set alight.

What we see is the fire being used to deter the queen from advancing, but the queen is never set alight which I think is what would do the trick.

Never thought about the 'theory' not being proven until the second movie...but it could have gone a little further.

Given that there were two people inside the queen operating her, I think setting her on fire would have been a bit problematic, somehow I don't think that the puppeteers would have appreciated their puppet being set on fire with them in it.

Given that there were two people inside the queen operating her, I think setting her on fire would have been a bit problematic, somehow I don't think that the puppeteers would have appreciated their puppet being set on fire with them in it.
True, but they almost killed most of the actors with the smoke they were using so safety was not high on the priority list from what I understand ;)
"They don't make em' like they used to"

gale ann hurd stated that they actually had to bring in air purifier's to keep the cast safe from the over abundant asbestos dust. and the air was actually CLEANER/SAFER while they filmed then when they arrived. I think safety was a priority and big issue. its amazing the actor's bitched about the "smoke" but no one said a damn thing about asbestos..

I never knew that about the Alien's behavior in the shuttle, or that it was dying. I always took it that the reason why the Alien was sluggish in general was because it was still a newborn and while the xenomorphs in Aliens were faster because they were alive for a much longer timeline.

Isn't it funny how we each ascribe our own meanings to things like this?

I had always thought the Alien was so "sluggish" because it wasn't needing to rush about or hurry or even worry about it's prey escaping. Rather like it felt secure that it had trapped it's quarry in a confined space, and so there was no need to 'rush the meal..."

I haven't a clue if that's anywhere near the mark, but it's what i kind of always thought. Like it was just chillaxing... taking a nap before making a cocoon of her.

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how we each ascribe our own meanings to things like this?

I had always thought the Alien was so "sluggish" because it wasn't needing to rush about or hurry or even worry about it's prey escaping. Rather like it felt secure that it had trapped it's quarry in a confined space, and so there was no need to 'rush the meal..."

I haven't a clue if that's anywhere near the mark, but it's what i kind of always thought. Like it was just chillaxing... taking a nap before making a cocoon of her.

Thats actually exactly as that sequence is described in the book and the Heavy Metal comic if memory serves. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back