A beginner's guide to Transfiguration proportions and actual size

Nowonder

Ok guys, we know the exact measurements of pretty much every Harry Potter school book, thanks to the Minalima prints. Still nothing about "A beginners guide to transfiguration", though (please note that I'm referiring to the leather cover edition featured in the Harry Potter movies, and not the paper, 1920s edition recently designed for "the Crimes of Grindelwald"). It's so hard to find pictures online (I'm attaching the only picture of the actual prop i could find), that I'm wondering if it's even displayed anywhere? House of Minalima? WB studio tour? I only had a chance to go to the Harry potter exhibition, and unfortunately they only had "An advanced guide to transfiguration" there. Has anyone got a chance to take pictures of the book, decent enough to be used to extract the exact proportions? Better would be if the book was showed next to any others whose measurements are known, so that we could extract its measurements by comparison. Chamber of secrets movie feature the old edition of the book, the one Lucius Malfoy extracts from Ginny Wealey's cauldron in order secretly let slip Tom Riddle's diary in it... but I have a feeling that prop has been deliberately made a little different from the Newest edition shown on McGonagall's desk in Philosopher's stone (even the cover art is different). Help, anybody?

8732312547_0cea2226a3_b.jpg
beginner.png
beginners guide 1st edition.png

Last edited:
I wonder if they didn't just use the same book for the Advanced version, since they look very similar, the logo is just put on and you can see the twirls from the beginner's version?

Attachments

• DSC_0162 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_0162 (Custom).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 326
  • pict.png
    pict.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 304
I wonder if they didn't just use the same book for the Advanced version, since they look very similar, the logo is just put on and you can see the twirls from the beginner's version?
Uhm that would be the cheapest thing ever... even cheaper than featuring a fake photo on an officially released book (yes, this is from the Artifact Vault):
20190305_001329.jpeg

Well maybe they have different versions of the same prop, or that was an older version in the book? Still I would say it's likely both versions have around the same dimensions. I'll try to find some high res screenshots of Ginny's copy but it definitely looks different, with a triangle design and larger title and a rougher texture.

Attachments

• cover.png
    cover.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 247
Here are blu-ray screenshots of Ginny's copy from CoS. It looks like they removed the upside down triangle but kept the animal drawing in the top right (maybe also top left but the area is covered) and the two twirls above. The font seems about the same as the first reference pic

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h39m54s617.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h39m54s617.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 261
  • vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h40m18s540.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h40m18s540.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 275
  • vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h40m24s179.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h40m24s179.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 253
  • vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h40m42s716.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h40m42s716.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 296
  • vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h40m51s648.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h40m51s648.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 288
  • vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h42m10s977.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h42m10s977.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
  • vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h42m29s799.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h42m29s799.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 269
  • vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h45m03s741.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h45m03s741.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 250
I'm pretty sure there is still a version of it at the studio tour and I think there may be a version in one of the cabinets at House of Minalima.

Attachments

• Harry-Potter-Warner-Bros-Studio-Tour-Leavsden-Wizarding-Wardrobes-30.jpg
    Harry-Potter-Warner-Bros-Studio-Tour-Leavsden-Wizarding-Wardrobes-30.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 260
I'm pretty sure there is still a version of it at the studio tour and I think there may be a version in one of the cabinets at House of Minalima.
Great pic! But this is "An ADVANCED guide to transfiguration", not "A BEGINNER'S"

Great pic! But this is "An ADVANCED guide to transfiguration", not "A BEGINNER'S"
I was thinking more of the format/construction. The photo was intended to illustrate scale/size in relation to other books, as I imagine it's the same as the Beginner's version just with the addition of an 'applique' star placed over the embossed star. Note the four swirl motifs surrounding the star in both the Beginner's and Advanced versions.

I was thinking more of the format/construction. The photo was intended to illustrate scale/size in relation to other books, as I imagine it's the same as the Beginner's version just with the addition of an 'applique' star placed over the embossed star. Note the four swirl motifs surrounding the star in both the Beginner's and Advanced versions.
Yeah, but there is no proof at all that the proportions are the same, though. The only true screenshot of "a beginner's" so far is the one I have posted. If yiu notice, the texture in the leather is different ("a beginner's" is more "dotted", whereas "an advanced" looks more "striped" to me)

Well for the dimensions, if you know those of Magical Drafts & Potions, Standard Book of Spells or Unfogging the Future, you can use those to make an estimate of the beginner's version in this picture or video (around 4 05)

Attachments

• 4142861657_88e2e47d86_o.jpg
    4142861657_88e2e47d86_o.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 261
Ok so guys, I've been wrapping my head a lot around this. I'm not a wizard at PS, but whenever I tried to correct the perspective of the only HD coseup photo of the prop available (the one I posted at the beginning of the thread), with ANY METHOD, the result showed a book much different from "And advanced guide". It's just more "square -ish" and less elongated. I also believe that the central six-tip star was actually designed by simply overlapping two perfectly equilateral triangles, which would also make more sense, since this kind of star is a well known magical symbol.So this brought me to the conclusion that "and advanced guide" and "a beginner's guide", though very similar under many aspects, were actually designed and made to be different from one another. WHat do you guys think? Am I dong this wrong with perspecive manipulation? Anyone good at PS can confirm/correct?

flat2.jpg

I've tried to correct the perspective of the picture with the other books (with the same copy as in your picture since they were both taken at the Movieum) and fit it with the unfogging the future image from the minalima site and did the same for the picture with the advanced copy from the exhibition, they don't look that dissimilar to me personally but I might be wrong.

Attachments

• Untitled-6.png
    Untitled-6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 253
  • Untitled-7.png
    Untitled-7.png
    1 MB · Views: 201
I've tried to correct the perspective of the picture with the other books (with the same copy as in your picture since they were both taken at the Movieum) and fit it with the unfogging the future image from the minalima site and did the same for the picture with the advanced copy from the exhibition, they don't look that dissimilar to me personally but I might be wrong.

Are you sure the method you used in the first picture is correct? I have got to similar results using that picture, but then realized I was missing something while comparing "Do it yourself broomcare" to a clearer picture I found online... definitely too elongated. this would also mean the results i got with correcting he cloeup from my previous post are totally wrong?
HandbookofDoItYourselfBroomcare.jpg

I used a photoshop add on called DCE Tools - Perspective correction and then widened it to fit the dimensions of the Unfogging the Future drawing on the MinaLima site. For the dimensions of the Broomcare book this seems like a good reference pic, see 1:39 of

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 221
When I try to perspective correct your pic and adapt it to my other pic, it also looks similar to the dimensions of Ginny's copy in COS

Attachments

• book try.png
    book try.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
  • Untitled-3.png
    Untitled-3.png
    765.5 KB · Views: 271
When I try to perspective correct your pic and adapt it to my other pic, it also looks similar to the dimensions of Ginny's copy in COS
Yes, thats what I meant.. does your perspective correction tool modify only one object at a time? Or all? Because the broomcare book turned out to be very distorted

It modifies the entire picture, that's why I then stretched it to fit the unfogging book. I'm definitely not sure that is a correct way though, if you know the dimensions of the books next to it that would help .

It modifies the entire picture, that's why I then stretched it to fit the unfogging book. I'm definitely not sure that is a correct way though, if you know the dimensions of the books next to it that would help .
I see, that's why i was so doubtful... we need a PS expert here Hahah

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back