89 Batarang and Smoke Capsules / Paragon FX Group

Just got the email that the pre-order for the Smoke Capsules will be charged in a day or two!
Hopefully they fix the stupid case. You carry the Modular set and the bat symbol is upside down. That was the first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box. If you look at any briefcase or carrying case and the logo & words are legible when carrying it. The whole thing is a bit of a letdown, but I’ll save that for my review.

The positioning of the logo and misc info is akin to older military tech and ammo cases. The information is facing you, as the item is pulled forward from the handle. This is by design. All of our cases in this series are screened in this manor. Unfortunate it hits your eye as backwards. Again, the intent here is that one opening a high tech piece of equipment wouldn't want to have to turn the lid away from themselves to actually read it's content/ ID #'s, etc.

For those who haven't seen it, Adam Savage did an excellent review of Paragon's Grapnel here:

Last edited:
The positioning of the logo and misc info is akin to older military tech and ammo cases. The information is facing you, as the item is pulled forward from the handle. This is by design. All of our cases in this series are screened in this manor. Unfortunate it hits your eye as backwards. Again, the intent here is that one opening a high tech piece of equipment wouldn't want to have to turn the lid away from themselves to actually read it's content/ ID #'s, etc.

For those who haven't seen it, Adam Savage did an excellent review of Paragon's Grapnel here:

Thanks for the explanation. I still think it’s silly. You gotta spin it either way. You sit it on a table in front of someone, the handle is facing you so you gotta spin it to face the other guy for him to read.

Less with the novelty cases for fictional worlds (which never appeared on screen) and more with stands and display options for said replicas. You don’t want the smoke capsules rolling off someone’s table because a bulky box ina closet makes more sense than a small acrylic display stand, right?

Last edited:
It's all fantasy of course but the way I always envisioned it, once Batman snaps open his Batarangs for usage, there's no unfolding them. These are discardable tools. We never see Batman recollect his Batarangs, they're always left behind. One and done.

Thanks for the explanation. I still think it’s silly. You gotta spin it either way. You sit it on a table in front of someone, the handle is facing you so you gotta spin it to face the other guy for him to read.

Less with the novelty cases for fictional worlds (which never appeared on screen) and more with stands and display options for said replicas. You don’t want the smoke capsules rolling off someone’s table because a bulky box ina closet makes more sense than a small acrylic display stand, right?
I understand where you're coming from. I still think the pelican cases are cool though and part of the unboxing experience. I think the idea here is to display these pieces scattered on a tabletop or shelf so they can be easily picked up and handled. With the handle folded in, the grapnel gun sits flat on its own, so that's not really an issue but I do share your concern about the capsules rolling off a table or shelf and breaking. There are solutions of course. A shelf with a lip or a simple easel stand of some kind could get the job done. The ridges on the top caps may also prevent them from rolling so it could be a non issue. I'll have to wait and see.

Blue food dye and water is probably the way to go, but for years I’ve been keeping blue colored Mountain Berry Powerade Zero (sugar free) in my GermanBat set and it’s been fine and pretty much the perfect color.

These looks great! I love your spear gun and am looking forward to adding these. Is the Batarang still in the works for this year?
Very kind, thank you. The spear gun is one of my favorite pieces. Check in with me before you order and I'll find you a code or a special. Even if it's just something to help on shipping. That goes for anyone here. (y)

As for the Batarang. I can't always be as candid here as I'd like to be. It puts me in a tough spot because it really goes against my nature.
Since you and two others have asked about this back to back, I'll simply say this. We're planning to start our podcasts and videos soon where we can share a little bid about the business; how things work, etc. We'll get into it.

Blue food dye and water is probably the way to go, but for years I’ve been keeping blue colored Mountain Berry Powerade Zero (sugar free) in my GermanBat set and it’s been fine and pretty much the perfect color.
That's pretty much what I always say. I might have used scope for the ones in the pics! LOL!
I've seen people use Windex and basically anything funky blue. Blue food coloring and water is prob best. I've had yellow food coloring
and water in a set of cryocan vials for years...looks the same.

Very kind, thank you. The spear gun is one of my favorite pieces. Check in with me before you order and I'll find you a code or a special. Even if it's just something to help on shipping. That goes for anyone here. (y)

As for the Batarang. I can't always be as candid here as I'd like to be. It puts me in a tough spot because it really goes against my nature.
Since you and two others have asked about this back to back, I'll simply say this. We're planning to start our podcasts and videos soon where we can share a little bid about the business; how things work, etc. We'll get into it.
Fair enough! I'll look forward to your upcoming podcasts + videos then. Hopefully it's still viable as it would be great to have all three as a set and from one maker...but I can imagine the obstacles involved.

Just got my capsules, and here's my initial thoughts.

First, they are very well made, nice and heavy with the metal and glass components. I haven't had a chance yet to put liquid in them, but the seal looks like it will be tight and secure.

Comparing to my GermanBat set, they are near identical. I'd say the biggest difference is the color finish. Whereas the GermanBat set is definitely black with a few slight rust discolorations in some spots, particularly around the knurling of the back cap and the scoops in the middle, the Paragon set has a more even tone across all the metal parts and doesn't really look rusted, so much as what I might describe as a gunmetal brown. It's a great color, and I am honestly torn on which set I like better. Width and length are almost exactly the same between the sets, and there's only a very slight variance in how the middle section details line up when side by side. So the good news is I won't have to redo the foam in my Vault door display to swap these in (at least until I get the Paragon Batarang).

The only thing I'm just a little bummed about is I thought that like the Grapnel, the COA might have individual unit numbering and it does not.

Attachments

• IMG_6652.jpeg
    IMG_6652.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6651.jpeg
    IMG_6651.jpeg
    904.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6650.jpeg
    IMG_6650.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thanks man! The difference between a 1 of_____ or a sequentially numbered certificate can depend on the factory.
They have to match master cartons & inventory boxes with inner certificates and their numbers. It makes a huge difference in time
and effort for them. All of that moves the needle and makes for a higher retail price for you guys. Yes, we appreciate
that some love numbered certificates but in the end we have to measure if the juice is worth the squeeze...again,
depends on who we're working with.

Of course, with the more expensive items we can push a little harder for individual numbers on the coa's

That said, we watch, listen and value the input. All noted.

-Rylo

Just got my capsules, and here's my initial thoughts.

First, they are very well made, nice and heavy with the metal and glass components. I haven't had a chance yet to put liquid in them, but the seal looks like it will be tight and secure.

Comparing to my GermanBat set, they are near identical. I'd say the biggest difference is the color finish. Whereas the GermanBat set is definitely black with a few slight rust discolorations in some spots, particularly around the knurling of the back cap and the scoops in the middle, the Paragon set has a more even tone across all the metal parts and doesn't really look rusted, so much as what I might describe as a gunmetal brown. It's a great color, and I am honestly torn on which set I like better. Width and length are almost exactly the same between the sets, and there's only a very slight variance in how the middle section details line up when side by side. So the good news is I won't have to redo the foam in my Vault door display to swap these in (at least until I get the Paragon Batarang).

The only thing I'm just a little bummed about is I thought that like the Grapnel, the COA might have individual unit numbering and it does not.
These look great! Thank you for sharing. For my purposes, I think I have a slight preference for the Paragons just because I'll be placing mine on black surfaces so it will be nice to have some subtle contrast.

A few more shots with blue food-dyed water added.

Attachments

• IMG_6658.jpeg
    IMG_6658.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6657.jpeg
    IMG_6657.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6656.jpeg
    IMG_6656.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6655.jpeg
    IMG_6655.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6654.jpeg
    IMG_6654.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45

We appreciate whatever you can share with us plebs Rylo

What about the FB collectors group there got started and then paused? Any chance it'll pick back up? Or that you need mod volunteers? ;)

Last edited:
We appreciate whatever you can share with us plebs Rylo

What about the FB collectors group there got started and then paused? Any chance it'll pick back up? Or that you need mod volunteers? ;)
See, that's how ya get called into service right there! We liked the idea of the face book group, but we're all so slammed; it just became something else to monitor. If we do fire it back up, I may reach out! Thanks, man!

-Rylo

See, that's how ya get called into service right there! We liked the idea of the face book group, but we're all so slammed; it just became something else to monitor. If we do fire it back up, I may reach out! Thanks, man!

-Rylo
I mod a couple other groups so no worries.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back