80s Style Movie Poster conversion program?

Sandman0077

Sr Member
I'm wanting to create some 80s style movie posters from some images I have, but I have no idea how I would do it. I get that most of them we hand drawn, but is there a way to get the same effect in GIMP or Inkscape? I don't have photoshop.

This is the style I'm talking about:

urlsdfasdf.jpg

Here is a modern rendition of the same effect:

cap-2-old-skool-e1395688226685.jpg

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

I've never used either GIMP or Inkscape. But you could do it with a little bit of time in photoshop. What movies are you thinking of making 80's posters of?

You could take screenshots of the characters individually, photo edit them standing around each other. Layer them put some of them over top the other. Add movie relevant details in the background. Add some sort of filters over top to easy the edges. I'm sure you probably won't get that great of images from the screenshots, but that might work to your advantage and make it look a little less perfect. Today's ones are very precise, those older ones were a little rougher and with a little hard work you could probably get it close.

Although, if this was a movie prop the way I said I'd go about it, would probably be the equivalent to pepakura. Lots and lots of time to get something done that could probably have been done far easier had you known another way.

I don't know it would depend on the program, if you don't have any filters I guess you could just use a large rectangle that is (fill-in-the-blank) color and mess with the transparency of it and bring it to the front of the image.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back