7th Doctor - Taking the Plunge

When there was a recent run of the 7th Doctor's question mark sweater vest (big thanks to Man of Steel for putting that run together), I told myself I was just going to get the vest and nothing else. Then the vest arrived and it was so amazingly cool that I'm now toying with the idea of casually putting together the rest of of the 7th Doctor's ensemble. (Rabid Doctor Who fan, guilty as charged.)

So here is my question...

I know that Sylvester McCoy wore a red paisley tie and also a blue paisley tie. But I've seen mentioned in some costume breakdowns that he also briefly wore a brown paisley necktie. Does anyone have a photo of the brown tie or can point me to an episode where the 7th Doctor was wearing the brown paisley tie?

I'm asking because it just so happens that I've recently managed to acquire a nice brown paisley tie and now I'm wondering how good a match it is. Anyone have any reference on the brown tie?

Awesome - good luck with the costume!
The thing that's going to sell it is the hat. I see a lot of "7'" hats that don't get it quite right and it really stands out. You need to get just the right brim size to get the curl right.

The new pullovers are amazing. I have a lot of Who costumes in my basement bar and that's the item that really pops out.

This link might be some help: Doctor Who Cosplay and Costuming - Seven Breakdown

Oh, and here is a picture of the Brown Paisley Neck-tie:
9354302_4ff8cb1c38.jpg

Last edited:
For the brown ties you basically want to watch his Season 26 stories (Battlefield, Ghost Light, Curse of Fenric, Survival) as they were to match the brown bandana on his hat and new brown jacket. He only wore red paisley for the hanky, hatband and tie during Season 24-25.

Check out the pics on www.tragicalhistorytour.com in the 7th Doctor section.

Thank you all for the excellent info. Here is the tie I found prior to your feedback, something that I will now call the "placeholder" tie...

7143823891_12eed15aeb_z.jpg

I found it among a plethora of old ties that my father-in-law doesn't wear anymore. I'll hold onto it until I find a replacement. Slowly, but surely I will piece the whole 7th costume together. Mind you, at 6'5" and bearded I don't look like ANY of the Doctors (in my youth I might have made a passable 5th Doctor). I'm not trying to be a lookalike though. I'm simply having fun. I love the eccentricity of the 7th Doctor's outfit. And it's something I could get away with wearing on the street.

So my quest continues for a tie.

For the brown ties you basically want to watch his Season 26 stories (Battlefield, Ghost Light, Curse of Fenric, Survival) as they were to match the brown bandana on his hat and new brown jacket. He only wore red paisley for the hanky, hatband and tie during Season 24-25.

Check out the pics on www.tragicalhistorytour.com in the 7th Doctor section.

I will definitely check out the Season 26 episodes. I prefer that darker look to the costume than the costume from Seasons 24 & 25. And the site you recommended is great! I stayed up far too late pouring over all the photos.

By the way, Bob, I blame you for my sudden obsession of building a 7th Doctor costume. :p

Not much progress on my 7th Doctor costume. Life gets in the way of having fun sometimes. I've been tied up with my "day job" (visual effects supervisor) and haven't been able to spend much time piecing this costume together. But I did want to let people know about one thing.

I just ordered some two-tone brogue shoes that I think are a decent match for what McCoy wore...

ASOS | ASOS Brogues With Leather Sole at ASOS

...and as of this typing they are on sale. They are normally £60, now reduced to £30, and further reduced at checkout to £25.50 if you put in the offer code MIDSEASON15. On top of that the shipping is free! The final price to me here in the USA was $41.20USD. I'll give you my review of them when they arrive on or about October 29th.

I also picked up an appropriate watch and chain recently on eBay. Photos later.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back