$79.99 MR FX sabers at Best Buy

Not sure if this is for all Best Buys, but I was surprised to find the MR FX Anakin and the MR FX Darth Vader sabers marked to $79.99. So, if you are looking for these, you may want to check out your local Best Buy. Just saw them this afternoon.

Originally posted by allosaur176+Jan 10 2006, 07:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allosaur176 @ Jan 10 2006, 07:29 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SurferGeek
@Jan 10 2006, 10:22 PM
Damn... Are these gonna turn into another MR Sting?  :cry
[snapback]1155790[/snapback]​

would that be a bad thing?
[snapback]1155794[/snapback]​
[/b]

Uhm... YES, considering that most of us purchased these for $90-$100 each. I'm sure that people that have the Sting FX weren't happy to see the value of those items tumble. Why would decreasing value be beneficial to anyone? It puts less profit into MR (and distrubutor's) pockets, it degrades the potential for future projects in the same venue... Bad for all except the "late adoptors" who get a good deal. People were buying up Sting FX's to give to children to use as toys... Not what they were targeted at.

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Jan 10 2006, 10:35 PM
  I'm sure that people that have the Sting FX weren't happy to see the value of those items tumble.  Why would decreasing value be beneficial to anyone?  It puts less profit into MR (and distrubutor's) pockets, it degrades the potential for future projects in the same venue...  Bad for all except the "late adoptors" who get a good deal.  People were buying up Sting FX's to give to children to use as toys... Not what they were targeted at.
[snapback]1155797[/snapback]​

Well, I'm one of the lucky ones who waited on the Sting and got a great deal on it, and probably wouldn't have purchased it if it stayed at original price

SW has a much bigger fan base than LOTR, which die hard collectors find these sabers to be the best functional 1:1 scale ones available anywhere, where as the Sting was grossly over sized, so they weren't selling as much...

As a replica collector, If i'm going to buy a LOTR Sting, I'm going for the real deal, all metal and life sized to fit in with everything else, the FX Sting is really good just for the cool factor

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Jan 10 2006, 09:35 PM
Why would decreasing value be beneficial to anyone?  It puts less profit into MR (and distrubutor's) pockets, it degrades the potential for future projects in the same venue... 
[snapback]1155797[/snapback]​

This is a situation of "Quantity has a quality all it's own". Yes, they make a smaller profit margin on each individual piece. However, the lower price point opens up a much larger market. Many more people will buy the product at $80 than will at $100. So, while each individual piece earns less profit, the product run as a whole makes a larger net profit than it would at the higher price point due to vastly increased sales. These high volume products are what allows companies to make the higher quality, lower production run, higher priced products. Chevy doesn't make money on Corvettes. They make money on Malibus and pick up trucks. Because they sell so many Malibus and pick up trucks, they can continue to make Corvettes. Force FX and the up coming Collectors Editions are the product lines that will allow MR to continue making Limited and Elite Edition products.

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 10 2006, 10:40 PM
....plus they may have a warehouse full of these things that they have to get rid of.
[snapback]1155859[/snapback]​

You only manufacture a warehouse full if you expect to sell a warehouse full. I doubt they are "getting rid" of them. It's possible that missjudged the number of people willing to pay $100. I think it's more likely that they hoped more would pay $100, and then worked down to find the balance point between supply and demand.

Of course I have been know to make mistake... from time to time. Oh dear, oh dear...

I am such a GEEK. :p

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Jan 11 2006, 02:22 AM
Damn... Are these gonna turn into another MR Sting?  :cry
[snapback]1155790[/snapback]​
NEVER..... For the love of god don`t say that..

More people want FFX then ever b4,MR has just filled the demand...

My understanding is this has been an incredible popular item for MR. In no way would it be following the Sting in terms of low demand. The FX line sold out in one day at celebration wehn expected stock was to last the entire weekend. QVC cannot keep them in stock everytime they are offered.

This looks to be purely a case of Best Buy selling them at discount for their own purpose/reason. Talking to the Best Buy manager here, they have had a hard time keeping them in stock as well. More likely they are using it as a draw in purchasers to other products in the store.

Originally posted by tripoli@Jan 10 2006, 11:04 PM
This looks to be purely a case of Best Buy selling them at discount for their own purpose/reason.  Talking to the Best  Buy manager here, they have had a hard time keeping them in stock as well.  More likely they are using it as a draw in purchasers to other products in the store.
[snapback]1155894[/snapback]​

:confused I should have thought of that. MR probably has nothing to do with this. The price drop a product of Best Buy's Marketing Department. It's just a hook to bring in shoppers. Geeks like lightsabers. Geeks like "electronic gadgets". Use the lightsabers to bring the geeks to the gadgets and seperate them from their money. If I didn't already have a Vader and Anakin FX is would work on me.

Originally posted by allosaur176@Jan 10 2006, 07:47 PM
where as the Sting was grossly over sized, so they weren't selling as much...

[snapback]1155804[/snapback]​

The MR Sting is actually hobbit scale....how big Sting would be if'n you was a Hobbit.

you could always buy them for that low price and ether re-sell them now, or sit on them till they make new force fxs :D or just buy an other one take the blade off and you have a saber for your belt :$

Awesome, this is the main reason I waited on buying the FX sabers- I knew they would come down. Man, I hope these go the way of the Sting. I'd buy 10 of them. :lol

I don't think the FX line is or was ever meant to be a high-end collectable that "holds it's value". Low price point, not super accurate- but close enough, unlimited edition size.

They basically ARE toys. Expensive ones. They are meant to be played with, not just looked at.

Yeah, the FX's are the bomb. I've got lots of rare, higher end props on my shelves, but everyone gravitates to the old FX vader I got at the FAO sale a while back...

I'd been eyeing the stack of unsold FX's at my local Best Buy - waiting for them to go on sale. :) I need 'em to drop to $50.. :)

-Raj

Originally posted by Stormleader@Jan 11 2006, 07:54 AM

I don't think the FX line is or was ever meant to be a high-end collectable that "holds it's value".  Low price point, not super accurate- but close enough, unlimited edition size.

[snapback]1156096[/snapback]​

Very good point.

I think when collectors place more emphasis on speculating potential investment value instead satisfaction of acquisition they set themselves up for major disappointment. Especially when collecting items produced by existing companies who in whole or in part target the collectibles market.

Interestingly enough, down the road, those FX sabers in minty packge condition could be valued over the collector edition series. In most cases, FX sabers will be purchased as toys and used as such. Ten years from now the number of working FX in good to minty package condition well may under number our cherished CE, LE, SE editions. :(

I hope their prices do continue to drop... I never looked at them as high end collectibles... if you want that, buy the LE versions.

Like some others I was thrilled at the price drop on the STING swords. I didn't buy one until they were $14.99 at Toys R Us and I love it probably more than anything else in my collection. For the price vs. what you get, you can't beat it.

I'm hoping the FX sabers drop to around $50 and I'll be buying more.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back