3D rendering of a gemstone? Is it possible?

NSStudios

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all! This post foes out to anyone with CAD software that is willing to help me out. I would like to have a gemstone designed in a CAD program so that I can 3D print the stone. The stone's final design would need tweeking, as the stone should be slightly asymmetric.

The stone is rather large and measures about 40 x 40 x 24 mm. We can get more specific on the stone's measurements themselves provided that someone is on board to help. Below is the diagram of a common round gemstone:

24no4dg.jpg

My stone's shape is similar to that of a heart.

I thought that I could have the stone printed in two separate pieces. One piece being the crown, and the other being the girdle and pavilion. Any thoughts? Would anyone be willing to try?

I have what is kind of a 3D example already, but I cannot use it due to the program that it is being run in. The rendering is being ran through a software called Gemcad, which allows users to create a facet chart for a gemstone, along with a 3D rendering of the stone. Users are unable to export this 3D rendering, so that is not an option.

If anyone chooses to help me, then I would be more than happy to share the Gemcad file with you.

Thank you!

hydin might help, He is the Crystal/Gem expert here.

And i'm guessing by your Name : titanicfan and that you want a "Stone's shape is similar to that of a heart" that you are looking to get a "heart of the ocean" gem made from the Titanic movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
@hydin might help, He is the Crystal/Gem expert here.

And i'm guessing by your Name : titanicfan and that you want a "Stone's shape is similar to that of a heart" that you are looking to get a "heart of the ocean" gem made from the Titanic movie.

Thank you for the tip. I will contact him. Yes, you are correct that is what I aim to do. Since a handcut CZ gem's shape can be off at times, I want a 3d printed stone so that it is extremely accurate. Should be a fun project.

Thank you for the tip. I will contact him. Yes, you are correct that is what I aim to do. Since a handcut CZ gem's shape can be off at times, I want a 3d printed stone so that it is extremely accurate. Should be a fun project.

I'm sure He will drop by when he gets the message that he been mentioned. The "@" symbol before a name sends a message to the member that they have been mentioned in that thread. I can test it with you :) @titanicfan

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure He will drop by when he gets the message that he been mentioned. The "@" symbol before a name sends a message to the member that they have been mentioned in that thread. I can test it with you :) @titanicfan

Oh! That is neat! I'm not sure how I did not know that after 5 years of being on the site lol.

It's relatively new, but still pretty cool :)

Also, email replied to.

I might not be able to help much, but what I can do, I'll be glad to help with.

Chris

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back