3D Printing and other new mysteries.

PhoenixVader

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently got a 3d printer, a Creality CR10S. At first it was a nightmare. I knew exactly zilch about them and the learning curve consisted of a lot of time viewing YouTube videos.

After a month I was in the clear and printing what I considered great prints, but on fair sized objects, say around 6 inches tall.

I then went for it and started to print larger items and my first was a Lucius Pattern Warhound Titan. I printed great and now I am confident in my ability to print just about anything I want.

What does this have to do with replica props you ask?

Well this is what has brought me back to the hobby. I left for a long time, years. I had gotten to the point where all I was doing was Paper Props and they sometimes take a long time just sitting at the computer in in Adobe PS. I lost interest.

Now I have a machine that can make a 3d item I can hold in my hand, display and even dare I say, SELL. ;0

For those of you who are on the fence or have not even thought about it I say, TAKE THE PLUNGE.

They are not that hard and there is a ton of assistance on the web to answer just about any question you need help on. The price has become extremely reasonable and they are mesmerizing to watch.

I will be posting some of the items I have printed soon, (I need to paint several of them).

There is also a vast library of files you can download for free! Models and props galore, you just need to slice and print. And that brings up the other side, the software. You can get CURA for free and it has worked very well for me for my slicing and gcodes.

If you are creative, there are two sites I recommend, Vectary and TinkerCAD. Both are online so no HD space to worry about and easy to use, and again they are FREE!

So what are you all waiting for?!?! Join the fun.

Thomas ;)

About same story here although i started of with a cheap chinese A8 clone. Quality was questionable but once running ok i started printing upgrade parts for it. With every part i printed it got better and better. Still not as good as better machines but good enough for me. I learned a ton from that process. That is why i started with that machine anyway, to learn of it.

Just ordered a crealty c10 myself.

Keep up the practice guys. I found it took YEARS to get everything wrapped around my head properly. Using the various slicer programs takes time to master, and finding the right one for you can be a challenge (Simplify3d for my Lulzbot Taz 3, but Slic3r for my Makergear M2). Play around with the features of your slicer program, and test the limits of your machine. You also want to download and print an overhang gauge, to test how far an overhang you can print without supports. And remember, if you print with PLA, use an extruder fan! Way cleaner prints with one.

I always here people say their printer isn't as good as the next, but often this isn't the case. You just need to continue practicing and printing. My latest prints are far cleaner and sharper than my first prints.

I've been eyeballing a printer for ages. And I've decided on a tevo tornado . Except it's not in the budget since my accident... But damn am I envious of you folks who can print!

I got my first printer about a year ago from my sister for Christmas.
As an old school prop maker for many years, I was reluctant to get in to the world of 3D printing
so I never purchased one.
One day the subject came up and she wanted to get me something special for my 60th birthday (day after Christmas) so I just suggested a 3D printer and my birthday, there is was, a Creality CR-10S.
It took me know time at all to set it up and print from the SD card supplied.
It was really pretty straight forward and not at all complicated.
I printed the CAT, the BOAT and then the 4 table adjustment knobs at first.
I was on a roll.
The prints where perfect and way better then I had imagined a 3D printer could do.
They had supplied a small roll of PLA white filament with my order and I went through it pretty quickly as a learning experience.

IMG_9521.JPG

dragon 1.JPG

the orville scanner lrg resized.jpg

serenity alliance pistol sm.jpg

ironman forearm missile launcher sm..jpg

benzite breather device sm..jpg

If you are thinking about getting a printer for fun and very reliable (once tuned in)
The CR10-S (dual z drive) is a good choice for the price.
My printer has been trouble free (knock on wood) since I started using it every
day for many hours/day since I got it. (I am printing right know in fact). :)

Last edited:
I got my first printer about a year ago from my sister for Christmas.
As an old school prop maker for many years, I was reluctant to get in to the world of 3D printing
so I never purchased one.
One day the subject came up and she wanted to get me something special for my 60th birthday (day after Christmas) so I just suggested a 3D printer and my birthday, there is was, a Creality CR-10S.
It took me know time at all to set it up and print from the SD card supplied.
It was really pretty straight forward and not at all complicated.
I printed the CAT, the BOAT and then the 4 table adjustment knobs at first.
I was on a roll.
The prints where perfect and way better then I had imagined a 3D printer could do.
They had supplied a small roll of PLA white filament with my order and I went through it pretty quickly as a learning experience.
If you are thinking about getting a printer for fun and very reliable (once tuned in)
The CR10-S (dual z drive) is a good choice for the price.
My printer has been trouble free (knock on wood) since I started using it every
day for many hours/day since I got it. (I am printing right know in fact). :)

They are some nice prints, very crisp.
I got the CR10s too. It's a great machine, very easy to use.
I think I may have to go tweek some settings, damn they are clean prints!!

Got my 10s a couple of weeks ago. Gonna flash th3d firmware on it. Turns out creality disabled the thermal runway protection because they were having too many issues with their cheap parts...

printet.jpg

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have been using my printer day and night with no issues with the printer at all.
I am still on the original firmware and all the parts that came with it.

I created an external temperature senor circuit that monitors the nozzle temp. during the prints and will shut the machine down if the
temp. goes above a pre-set amount.
So far , I haven't needed to use it. :)

(I currently have a smaller Ender 3 from Creality on order.)

You're going to love the Ender 3, great machine and incredible value for the price - I have two of them :)

Thanks for the input NS4,
I can't wait !
I am printing so often now that I need another "smaller foot print" machine to print at the same time as my CR-10S.
It will do the smaller detail pieces (many of them), while the CR-10S does the larger scale pieces.

I just can't get over the repeatability of the 3D printer.
Making the same identical parts each time as needed.

ironman-forearm-missile-launcher-sm-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
propmaster2000 if you are looking for a small detail printer, I recommend checking out SLA printers. I use a Formlabs Form2 but there are much more reasonably priced ones out there now. I use the big FDM printers for large parts and the SLA for high detail.

I'm really surprised about the lack of prop kits being sold now that more people 3d printers. The Star Trek ones I've seen on ebay seem to be pretty bad when it comes to visibility of the layers (compared to what's been shown here).

I think the one thing about 3D printing is that it is a great prototyping tool.
I have found that if I get an idea to create something that I need (which might be useful or just a novelty item),
all I have to do is render it, then in a few hours replicate with my 3D replicator (printer).
It really is a "cool tool".
"VAYPO" device
IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

Last edited:
propmaster2000 if you are looking for a small detail printer, I recommend checking out SLA printers. I use a Formlabs Form2 but there are much more reasonably priced ones out there now. I use the big FDM printers for large parts and the SLA for high detail.
I was looking into that recently as there are a few models now in a more budget range. It was the issues with handling the resin and clean up put me off. Also, I read a lot about failed prints due to poor model alignment.

Is it as bad as some places make out or is it a lack of patience from those reviewers?

Question about SLA printers...

1 - About much does resin cost now-a-days?

2 - How long does the resign stay 'usable'? I have read the old resin cant be used.. and before that older stuff may produce a 'bumpy' surface finish?

Thanks for the input NS4,
I can't wait !
I am printing so often now that I need another "smaller foot print" machine to print at the same time as my CR-10S.
It will do the smaller detail pieces (many of them), while the CR-10S does the larger scale pieces.

I just can't get over the repeatability of the 3D printer.
Making the same identical parts each time as needed.

View attachment 905468

Did you make all that from the pla they gave you? That’s a lot!

Last edited:
Budget printers can work great with upgrades. I am using a Wanhao D6/Monoprice ultimate for almost 3 years. (upgrades required are another $200-300, www.thingiverse.com/groups/wanhao-d6-upgrades). Important is to consider Filaments that are much better to work with than PLA like PETG. ABS on open printers results in splitting and shrinking of models. SLA is about 4x the price but with superb detail so it is an addition that you probably want eventually. The resins have a limited shelve life that varies greatly depending on chemistry but I would planning on using everything as soon as possible. Playing around with SLA, it is something you want to have a dedicated room, work space, massive ventilation and a lot of disposable gloves.
For larger projects I am building a Railcore II in the moment (railcore.org).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back