3D printer for a beginner

Like you, I wanted to make physical objects from 3d digital models I've created. I started with Fusion 360 about 3 years ago and with a lot of patience and watching YouTube videos created a bunch of models of movie props. I did my research and decided that resin printers will give me the detail I wanted. The build volume on most of the current (not super expensive) resin printers was a little bit small and would require breaking up the models into a bunch of pieces. I was just about to purchase the Elegoo Mars and they announced the Saturn. Fortunately, I was able to get in on the pre-release of it but it won't be released until after the summer. I decided to get a FDM printer to satisfy my curiosity and purchased the Creality Ender 3 Pro 2 weeks ago from a Microcenter. I've been tweaking it and printing out prototypes of my models. This way I can adjust them so when I get the Saturn they should be easier to print and finish.

The Ender 3 Pro was not expensive and a lot of fun. It gives you a chance to learn about slicing models and attaching supports so they will print out correctly. I know that resin printing is different but the principles are the same. Below are a couple of the 3d models I made with Fusion 360 and the third pic shows a couple of prototypes. I'm still tweaking the models and learning 3d printing but the time will be well spent when I can add the finished pieces to my collection.

Attachments

• Space_1999_stun_gun_030420.jpg
    Space_1999_stun_gun_030420.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Casio_F-100_-_41120.jpg
    Casio_F-100_-_41120.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200713_094300.jpg
    20200713_094300.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The Saturn is nice... (its no Peopoly Phenom.....lol.. but also not 3k!)

Unfortunately.. thats not an option for the rest of us right now.

I am sticking with Fusion360 for now... I like it.. I just need more time with it. (and some more challenges to understand HOW to approach things)

* still havent many any 'connected' parts. (just bodies that overlay/join.. and a combine/merge them)
* no animations
* no mechanical 'stuff' constrained/joined parts..etc
* havent 'rendered' anything either.. :(

Ive literally only done one 3D model so far.. (and still looking for someone to print it out for me... not for free either!) LOL

Wheres propmaster2000 been at? :) (was hoping he'd chime in too)

So next question(s):

* Did any of you guys install those TL-Smoother boards on your X, Y or Z axis?

* Did any of you add in those stepper motor dampeners?

* Is there a special filament one should order? I have read things off and on about bad filaments.. and filaments that blend/melt better..etc..

Or just any 1.75mm filament from Creality? (or is there a better 'go-to' place for this?

Thanks

ok.. so your not talking about ANY of the printers mentioned above?

What is the Sidewinder X1? (first time I've heard of it to be honest...but I'm also not in the 3D printing scene)... Whats the difference (pros/cons) between that and the larger CR-10S from Creality you mentioned?

Anyone else have constant bed leveling issues with their CR-10S or their Ender 3's?

Update:

Artillery Sidewinder X1?
At $400 range..

that puts in competition with the Elegoo Saturn now.. which is smaller of course... (around the same work envelope as the Ender 3).. but its RESIN!

Last edited:
I love my CR-10 but as a newbie, there was a very sharp learning curve. However not giving up and learning, researching HOW to tinker with it made me much better. I added an autolevel, and while that was pretty complicated, it made me less afraid to crack it open if I need to. It makes huge prints, however, as said above, sometimes a print can fail for whatever reason after 50 hours of a 60 hours print. I haven't tried other printers, but I do love my CR-10. I did buy simplify 3d, and that made a big difference.

I started on a super cheap monoprice mini, and I'm now printing on a CR-10. I don't have any bed leveling issues at all. Mine stay level for more than 1 print in fact.

I have a busted wire on the mini printer, which I'm planning to fix this weekend, and then I'll have both printers up and running again.

I'm learning fusion 360 presently. I have a few friends who use it regularly and I'm striving to be that comfortable and knowledgable about the software. I generally learn software by using it, and I learn it well that way, but fusion has been tougher for me. Must be that 3rd dimension that stumps me. I'm gold in 2D. ;)

^ ditto...

I need more time with Fusion360.. and a 'goal' to work towards.. instead of 'randomly' learning features.

Q:

1.) What is "Simplify 3D".. a program? What is the benefit/purpose? (that made a big difference?)

Also.. nobody has tried the stepper dampeners? or the 'smoother' boards?

Its the $179 price tag that is really making me jumpy right now! LOL.. (and the need for a printer part for another project!)..

Its becoming a very difficult choice for me now.. hehe

* Ender 3:
---------------------------------
+ perfect price point ($179)

- mid-sized work envelope

* Elegoo Mars
+ RESIN quality
+ price point: $200

- tiny work envelope

CR-10S
----------------------------------
+ bigger work envelope

- In the $400 price range now

* Elegoo Saturn
+ RESIN quality
+ mid-sized work envelop close to the Ender 3
+ $400 price range now (similar to other FDM pricing but smaller work space)

- not available right now
- new

Be aware if you go with a resin printer you will need a post print setup for cleaning the uncured resin off the model, and a sealed UV chamber for curing. Also, the printers give off harsh chemical fumes while printing. I have asthma, so those factors have kept me from ordering a resin printer. I just don't have anywhere to set up a UV curing chamber, and I don't really have a place to print that will not adversely affect somebody with fumes.

That said, I plan to eventually overcome that stuff and figure out a place to have a resin printer set up and functioning.

I dont -think- I'll honestly be getting a RESIN printer as my first one now.. (my whole life just never been a fan of FDM/layer line stuff)..

and the current available Mars.. is just too small to be practical for me (I dont do gaming or character/figure stuff)

Good luck on you.. and hope you can get a Saturn! :)

The print/layer lines can be dealt with by using filler primer, and sanding. People like to complain about it, but really, it's not that difficult. Depending on how the model looks after printing, I will usually go right into primer (I use the rattle can 2 in 1 filler and sandable gray primer from rustoleum) and I do several coats. I give that a day to cure. I sand it with 220 grit waterproof sand paper. I use bondo glazing spot putty and milliput to do any filling, or large areas that need smoothing. But to be honest, smoothing/painting is kind of my favorite part of the process.

I feel like that is 'side-tracking' my main project! LOL

but I guess you have to work with what you have available.. and at the moment.. a custom 3D printed option is my only solution here..

I (finally) got an offer for someone to print a sample me... (although I dont think their printer is too aligned? LOL)..

but its worth a shot to get something in hand.. and see if mods/edits are needed.

Wheres propmaster2000 been at? :) (was hoping he'd chime in too)

So next question(s):

* Did any of you guys install those TL-Smoother boards on your X, Y or Z axis?

* Did any of you add in those stepper motor dampeners?

* Is there a special filament one should order? I have read things off and on about bad filaments.. and filaments that blend/melt better..etc..

Or just any 1.75mm filament from Creality? (or is there a better 'go-to' place for this?

Thanks

I purchased the Ender 3 Pro 2 weeks ago and have only done minor upgrades. A better Bowden tube, better springs for under the build area, and a metal dual drive extruder for moving the filament. I want to dial in the printer without any smoother boards or stepper motor dampeners. I've only tried one type of filament - Inland from Microcenter but I have bought eSun from Amazon and it should arrive this weekend. There doesn't seem to be one brand that's the best. Everyone on the Internet and Facebook have their opinions but most agree to buy a name brand and try it out for yourself.

^ ditto...

I need more time with Fusion360.. and a 'goal' to work towards.. instead of 'randomly' learning features.

Q:

1.) What is "Simplify 3D".. a program? What is the benefit/purpose? (that made a big difference?)

Also.. nobody has tried the stepper dampeners? or the 'smoother' boards?

Its the $179 price tag that is really making me jumpy right now! LOL.. (and the need for a printer part for another project!)..

Its becoming a very difficult choice for me now.. hehe

* Ender 3:
+ perfect price point ($179)

- mid-sized work envelope

* Elegoo Mars
+ RESIN quality
+ price point: $200

- tiny work envelope

CR-10S
----------------------------------
+ bigger work envelope

- In the $400 price range now

* Elegoo Saturn
+ RESIN quality
+ mid-sized work envelop close to the Ender 3
+ $400 price range now (similar to other FDM pricing but smaller work space)

- not available right now
- new
\\

I started to teach myself Fusion 360 with one "goal" in mind, create movie props that I could put on my shelf. I focused on one that I could get a ton of useful pictures from the Internet - Han Solo's DL-44 blaster. It has all different parts that I had to create separately and then digitally assemble. So, with each piece I learned something new in Fusion. Now I have a 3d file composed of a bunch of parts that I can print and assemble.

I have no experience with Simplify3D but it's very popular with people that own FDM printers.

Get yourself a relatively inexpensive printer so that you can print the parts out that you design. Then you can tweak them until you are happy. FDM printers have less post processing but their resolution doesn't match resin printers. I started with a FDM printer but I'm expecting the Elegoo Saturn that I pre-ordered to arrive in a couple of months. I want to try out both type of 3d printers to see first hand what they each do best.

Attachments

• Han_Solo_DL-44_blaster_-_030420.jpg
    Han_Solo_DL-44_blaster_-_030420.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 55
FWIW there are most likely new Elegoo Mars printers about to come out, the Mars C and the Mars PRO-2 I think. Much faster print time, similar to the phrozen sonic mini is the best guess, and probably other tweaks.

Re: Bed levelling on the CR-10. Yes. When I first got the printer I had some issues with bed levelling. I'm not sure if its the limit switch on the bottom getting reset all the time, but I do have to re-level my bed every 2 to three prints. Not a big job, it takes about a minute or two. I monitor the first layer and the skirt. Once the first layer is done, rarely does something go wrong.

Even my Elegoo Mars needs bed height adjustment every few prints. To me, its just something that you have to do, in order to ensure you get successful prints.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
FYI..

thanks to member PakRatJR who reached out and offered to print an FDM -&- RESIN version for me.. (and ironically only live 45 minutes away!)

We met up (lots of awesome projects and many 3D printers!).. and I got my 'samples' (Thanks Rick!!)

I just wanted to share them here..

*unfortunately.. after drilling and tapping my (beloved) RESIN print.. I apparently screwed it on too 'tight' to the 2-liter .. and it split/cracked down the middle. :( :( :(

(none of which is PatRatJR's fault of course!) LOL

Rick_printed_cap2.jpg

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

Hopefully.. I can get another a couple more RESIN prints.. and then just focus on molding and casting them!!!
:)

1 step forward!.... (2 steps back) :p

\\

I have no experience with Simplify3D but it's very popular with people that own FDM printers.
I have Simplify3D and while I don’t regret buying I would not recommend anyone get it today. The features that made it worth the money are now available in most of the free slicers. S3D hasn’t come up with anything new in literally years and everyone else has caught up.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back