3D Printed Upgrades for the Salzo Galactica!

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
Among the many projects I have on the bench, a modified Hasbro X-Wing, a Horizon Aerial HK, I also have the Salzo Galactica 1/2 SS kit. The kit that Mike mastered is just downright fantastic as most of us already know. However, there are a few parts that are a bit "under-detailed". One of them being the bridge. I wanted to correct this on my kit, but with so much going on I turned this project over to someone else. A co-worker started a 3D render but had no time really to work on it due to other commitments, I know how that feels. So, I eventually turned the file over to FZ6 over on the SSM forum (and here). He agreed to finish the file and load it to Shapeways if there was enough interest in it. I gave ownership of the file to FZ6 and he was able to finish it. The bridge turned out fantastic! Here is a progression of pictures as to how the bridge started and finally finished up.

This was the first update I got. Just the basic shape pretty much.

2yn1g5z.jpg

A month or so later I got this update. A bit more detail added.

2zfq0jt.jpg
24crtdl.jpg

And then I got this last preview.

2ecdlyt.jpg

It was at this point I turned the file over to FZ6, and he made a shocking discovery. The basic shape and most details were wrong! I got this update from him. The yellow is from the original render, the blue is the corrected shape.

2ujqwjn.jpg
vcq5c2.jpg

FZ6 told me there would be a delay as the whole thing basically needed to be rebuilt. So, after a week reworking the render I received this update last night, the completed bridge render!

34rdmwg.jpg
28cfuid.jpg
igepmp.jpg

It's been a long process, but it's done! I can now scratch this off my "to do" list! It may not be a perfect scaled replica, but it's much better than the kit part. I also have to say in closing a BIG THANKS to Mike Salzo for making available probably one of the greatest resin model kits of all time. Thanks Mike and hope your feeling better!!!!!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2729879/galactika-command-bridge-salzo.html?materialId=61

Last edited:
Re: 3D printed Bridge for Salzo Galactica

Here is some pictures of my new pre drilled Mike Salzo TOS Bridge that arrived today..This is the best I could get for some close up shots with my camera.. It was packed very nicely to prevent any damage..

Clarnece

5UPnAi.jpg

BpzPDB.jpg

loPUkd.jpg

ybXvG4.jpg

jrnmBf.jpg

lgrAGN.jpg

so what is your impression?

I really like it is very nicely detailed,I think the only issue I may have is getting my Fiber Optics through the pre drilled holes as they are extremely small and I mean small,I will have to use a magnifier glass just to make sure I am running my FO in the holes..one good thing I can see when it does come to run the FO is the bridge is clear so I should be able to see the FO running through them small holes..

Other then that I highly recommend buying the upgrade of the bridge..

Clarence

Clarence, glad you like the bridge. The holes are .5mm so grab some .5mm fiber optic if you don't have any. I think you do though, don't you? This project was a long time coming, but I am glad to see the final product realized! I hope you like the other parts FZ6 and I have available and future releases!

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Clarence, glad you like the bridge. The holes are .5mm so grab some .5mm fiber optic if you don't have any. I think you do though, don't you? This project was a long time coming, but I am glad to see the final product realized! I hope you like the other parts FZ6 and I have available and future releases!

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Yes I do have some .5mm fiber Optics,I am definitely going to have to use a magnifying glass as my eyes are not that good to see them small holes,plus my hands shake to much to try and get the Fiber Optics in those small holes with out having something to see the holes better..

I am really looking forward to getting the rest of the upgrades and your new engine grill mesh you had made..

By the way question for you did you wash all your parts before you started on your BSG?,I think Mike mentioned that the new resin he used one did not have to wash them...but I think I would still go and was mine but wanted to see what your thoughts on it was?

Clarence

Yeah, Mike said you don't need to. I didn't wash them, but it can't hurt.

Yeah, Mike said you don't need to. I didn't wash them, but it can't hurt.

Sounds good,to be on the safe side when I start on mine I will wash everything in Luke warm water,I forgot do I just do it in warm water or do I need to use any kind of soap?

Clarence

I normally just use dish soap to wash resin parts. Rinse good, let air dry.

Very nice part Robiwon. Bravo
Too bad I already modified mine. ;)

Clarence.
Is the part hollow or full ?

As the part is transparent frosted, I am not sure fiberoptics are the best solution.
I think it will be better to set a led under the part, the light will be diffused in all the part. Once painted (silver then black then gray coats), you will just have to scrap the paint where you want a lighted windows and it's done.

Thanks Cabour.

Vader got the bridge that comes pre-drilled for .5mm fiber optics. We also have a non drilled version as well which would work with your method. It is somewhat hollow underneath, yes. The fourth picture Vader posted is from the bottom, and you can see edges.

For Sure Good Stuff, Robiwon super bridge I'm going to try get me one.Keep up on the coolest of cool stuff. Thanks Jim

Very nice part Robiwon. Bravo
Too bad I already modified mine. ;)

Clarence.
Is the part hollow or full ?

As the part is transparent frosted, I am not sure fiberoptics are the best solution.
I think it will be better to set a led under the part, the light will be diffused in all the part. Once painted (silver then black then gray coats), you will just have to scrap the paint where you want a lighted windows and it's done.

As Robiwon had mentioned the Bridge I have is the one that has been pre drilled to use .5mm Fiber Optics..I can tell you it is going to be fun running the .5mm so when I go to run them I definitely going to have to use a Magnifying glass to see the holes as my eyes can not see that good to see the holes,The holes are there it is just hard for me to line the Fiber Optics with out a little aid to see them..

Clarence

Robiwon, I love your bridge. I'm at first going to try my hand at scratching me one, then if all fails, I will be getting myself one of these very cool bridges. Yep Clarence Ive got to break out my trusty magnifying glasses also. Which I use pretty regular when building, but man this bridge is a hit out of the park home run, For Sure. Thanks Jim

Robiwon:
I got the engine grids today and they are excellent! Great addition to the kit Really going to enhance the look! Thanks again!!
Hub

Thanks! Glad you like them!

Shapeways has also shipped my pre-drilled bridge. As soon as it arrives I'll throw some Tamiya Fine Primer on it and post some pics.

Last edited:

Hello,

these are really fantastic upgrade parts you offer! :cool Is there more in the pipeline? :p

Your parts are on my "to-buy-list" ... when i also get the ooportunity to one of these "Monster-Galacticas"

The problem is that i have emailed him at two different email addresses and have sent him two PM´s via this
forum, but haven´t received any response yet.

I hope everything is ok ...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back