3D printed iron man issue!

CluelessPuma

Hello,

I am new to the community and i have recently come to an issue on my 3d printed iron man suit. I know i can acetone weld the pieces together, but is there anything else i could you to make a firmer bond between the pieces?...Epoxy? also, as i am sure there is a thread already, but what type of primer would you guys recommend? thanks!

The ABS and PVA glues that are acetone based are the best. They melt the plastic and the resulting bond is generally stronger than the rest of the piece. I filler primer that can be sanded works well to fill in the small gaps. Be sure to look to see if it bonds to plastic. You can also look into the XTC-3D from Smooth-On as a top coat before paint to smooth the print.

Thanks for the reply back. I currently am finishing up my prints and just finished the face plate. I got the acetone to hold on to the pieces for now. I was thinking, what about bondo? wouldnt that work too?

if you're using ABS, ABS slurry is the best (ABS filament dissolved in acetone), if you are using PLA, super glue works well if the parts are smooth where they attach, otherwise a soldering iron to weld the seams together works amazingly, just have to clean up the seam afterward!

Yeah I am using abs, I have some gaps I'll need to fill as well as remake some slurry. Now, what if I were to spread the slurry around the entire helmet? Would that make it smooth all around?

(Ps. I'll be adding pictures soon)

It would, any time I use abs I always brush on some pure acetone, it helps to smooth out the parts, and makes a stronger bond between the layers. Just make sure if you do over the whole helmet, that you use a very thin, light coat. A thick coat will hurt the details.

Hello,

I am new to the community and i have recently come to an issue on my 3d printed iron man suit. I know i can acetone weld the pieces together, but is there anything else i could you to make a firmer bond between the pieces?...Epoxy? also, as i am sure there is a thread already, but what type of primer would you guys recommend? thanks!

Smoothing, attaching and groovemaking info if you have not seen yet...
http://www.therpf.com/f78/iron-man-mkiii-3d-printed-225926/?highlight=kenlandrum

You can also put a small cut off of fillament into a dremel and friction weld pieces together
it's useful for certain applications.

And Smooth On's XTC-3D really does what it says with reducing 90% of finishing work, it's brilliant stuff :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, this is really helping! I noticed there was talk in one of the forums posted about using the bondo glazing. From what I've seen, that looks like a really good route to go with.

Side note, I won't be able to get pictures up until Thursday.

Just wondering, if I have a space between two pieces of the 3d print at the bottom of the helmet. Could I just use a putty to fill in and smooth it out?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back